GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 937
3 members and 934 guests
Low D Flat, naraht, sabellashulzez9

Old 01-27-2005, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phillyinterest6
Question God and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Hi all,
I currently aspire to be a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., I've been working for almost two years to bring a chapter to my campus (90% white), and through hard work and dedication and God on my side it's in the process of happening. Now i have a true love for this organization and all that it stands for, but also i am a man of God and believe all things are possible through him, even being a part of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. SO i have a question. I heard from a ex-greek who isnt bitter that you cant be part of God's Kingdom and be associated with a BGLO. He says this because the bible says we arent suposed to take oaths of any kind, and something about idol worship. Now im not sure of this myself and have read the scripitures he provided me, but i need the opinopn of someone who love their organization and all the good that they stand for. Can you be a TRUE serverant of God, loving him and obeying his word, and still be part of a BGLO? Please help me!!! My heart is still with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., yet God is the master of this ship!

Confussed Interest
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-28-2005, 10:57 AM

Re: God and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyinterest6
I heard from a ex-greek who isnt bitter that you cant be part of God's Kingdom and be associated with a BGLO. He says this because the bible says we arent suposed to take oaths of any kind, and something about idol worship.
His name wasn't Fred Hatchett, was it? If it was, take that advice with an extra large grain of salt.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: God and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Quote:
the bible says we arent suposed to take oaths of any kind, and something about idol worship.
Can someone share with me those scriptures (not opinions or text from other books, ONLY SCRIPTURE, and all of them that deal with this topic; my bible doesn't have a concordance ) if you have them? I find this interesting and would like to study it some more. Where does this leave marraige vows (are those not oaths? Is there a difference b/t an oath and a vow? ) and the Hippocratic Oath that doctors take? Do lawyers take an oath when they are sworn in at the bar? And if all of these are true, does that mean that there should no marriage, no doctors, no lawyers, etc?

This topic comes up so often, and normally I dismiss it for obvious reasons. But I need to research a little bit to see WHERE this comes from.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2005, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmm....

This is a very interesting topic. A couple years ago, before I crossed, my chapter had a program "Greeks and Religion: Do They Mix?" It was a very heated program. There were a lot of people there that sat on both sides of the issue. They felt very passionately about their point of views on the subject. There were about 6 ex-greeks that had denounced their letters because later on in life they felt that their being greek conflicted with their religious beliefs. They were saying a lot of the same things that the ex greek is telling you, and yes they were able to spit out some scriptures to support their point of view. In my opinion I think that you can be greek and still remain grounded in your religious beliefs. However I have encountered some people (very few though) who make their organization their life. They "worship" their organization and everything it stands for, and when I say worship I mean it in a bad way. It is prefectly fine to take pride in your organization, i mean...everyone should. But don't make your organization your "religion". There needs to be a balance, and if you know how to maintain that balance then there should not be a problem. One of the girls at the program, that was in a another sorority, said that she has been able to spread the word of God to people that she probably would never have had the chance to, once she joined her sorority, so she said that is one of the best things about it.

But then there are also the people who join fraternities and sororities that are religious at all and have no desire to be ( I know some of them too )....but that is another story...
Old 01-28-2005, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: God and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
His name wasn't Fred Hatchett, was it? If it was, take that advice with an extra large grain of salt.
Heres some scriptures i found on my own that talks about oaths and why we are not suposed to take them. I am still confussed myself all along i believe i was destined to be associated with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Jesus said...) Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, "You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord."

But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your "Yes" be "Yes," and your "No," "No." For whatever is more than these is from the evil one. Mt 5.33-37 (see also Jam 5.12)

John 18:20 -- "I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing." Throughout Scripture, we are told to imitate Jesus Christ, and let Him serve as our example. Thus, since Jesus Christ never, ever did anything in secret, we are not to do anything in secret, either. The true Christian walk is to be the utmost in transparency possible.

Proverbs 22:26 -- "Be not one of those who strike hands and pledge themselves ..."
Old 01-28-2005, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: God and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
Can someone share with me those scriptures (not opinions or text from other books, ONLY SCRIPTURE, and all of them that deal with this topic; my bible doesn't have a concordance ) if you have them? I find this interesting and would like to study it some more. Where does this leave marraige vows (are those not oaths? Is there a difference b/t an oath and a vow? ) and the Hippocratic Oath that doctors take? Do lawyers take an oath when they are sworn in at the bar? And if all of these are true, does that mean that there should no marriage, no doctors, no lawyers, etc?

This topic comes up so often, and normally I dismiss it for obvious reasons. But I need to research a little bit to see WHERE this comes from.

Thanks!
Heres some stuff i found that's in the bible. Im still confussed by this i believed that these organizations were built on Christian principles. I know many of Greeks who go to chruch and are very religious. Most them dont drink, cruse, swear, as far as i know and i;ve known some of them for YEARS> Please help, i love God with all my heart but I still strive to be a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Proverbs 22:26 -- "Be not one of those who strike hands and pledge themselves ..."

John 18:20 -- "I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing." Throughout Scripture, we are told to imitate Jesus Christ, and let Him serve as our example. Thus, since Jesus Christ never, ever did anything in secret, we are not to do anything in secret, either. The true Christian walk is to be the utmost in transparency possible.

Matthew 5:34-46 -- "Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

Last edited by phillyinterest6; 01-28-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to msn4med1975 Send a message via Yahoo to msn4med1975
Only YOU can decide if your walk with God will be hampered by fraternity life. In general, I've seen a fraternity mold a nice boy in a good man and in all of those cases they were VERY in tune with their religious beliefs whatever they may be. There are a number of different vows/oaths that could conflict with STRICT interpretation of those passages. Everything from marriage to Greek life to pledging allegiance to the freaking flag. I don't feel like I've been at all hampered in my knowledge of the Lord by being in a sorority but as others have stated some people cannot do both.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

phillyinterest6--

You must read your Bible in context of the entire scripture, not just a few passages. That is my opinion.

Your walk with God must not be hampered into idol worship. And many folks are false prophets too and can lead you astray...

Folks even idol worship in the Church... Following random ministers and their "teachings" that are contrary to the Bible and do not follow Christ's commandments as Christians...

That is "casting your pearls before swine..." So, if this one person that quotes chapter and verse on you, you need to ask this "being" who is he really led by? God?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-28-2005, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

The below link MIGHT help you....it was long, it was heated, it was bloody...but darn it, we made it through just fine.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...e&pagenumber=1
Old 02-03-2005, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Re: God and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Quote:
Hi all,
I currently aspire to be a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., I've been working for almost two years to bring a chapter to my campus (90% white), and through hard work and dedication and God on my side it's in the process of happening. Now i have a true love for this organization and all that it stands for, but also i am a man of God and believe all things are possible through him, even being a part of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. SO i have a question. I heard from a ex-greek who isnt bitter that you cant be part of God's Kingdom and be associated with a BGLO. He says this because the bible says we arent suposed to take oaths of any kind, and something about idol worship. Now im not sure of this myself and have read the scripitures he provided me, but i need the opinopn of someone who love their organization and all the good that they stand for. Can you be a TRUE serverant of God, loving him and obeying his word, and still be part of a BGLO? Please help me!!! My heart is still with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., yet God is the master of this ship!

Confussed Interest
Unless GOD HIMSELF told you this, DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that one should have balance in one's life that includes God and balancing one's affairs in life. We can overindulge in anything. I too am concious of my commitments, if I can get up early for sorority meeting on Saturday, then I can make it to church as well on Sunday! I also took the liberty to look up the scripture reference for Proverbs 22:26 that he quoted, I believe it is taken out of context. It states: Be not thou one of them that strike hands, or of them that are sureties for debts. (KJV) I don't know what version of the Bible his quote came from- this implies to me, that one shouldn't strike another nor be a servant to debt.

Last edited by Lady of Pearl; 02-08-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Original Ape's Zoommate was Spiritual too!

Hotep Brothers (Sisters too). I come in peace, but I have had a flashback and recall an incident that took place years ago. Now check this out. Once upon a time a group (what was such a group called?) was in a formation and knocked on the door of a mansion of a very well known black minister. Upon the door opening this very group of young men who were all clad in identical clothing presented a verbal gesture (what was this called?) to which the MINISTER responded, "I am NOT MINISTER....I am BIG BROTHER MINISTER....." and due to the SPHINXMAN(No. 1 of the ?) who was in front of me(Deuce Quaz No. 2) being unable to stand the FORCE of a 300+ lb 6'4 GORRILLA and his huge PAWS the group(again, what was this called?) "slipped" down some stairs.

P.S. Original Ape, you and Professor not allowed to give the answers!

Last edited by PHAShriner/1906; 02-06-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I posted heavily on this topic in the Omega forum, and I think the answer comes down to what a person really wants to do. I will make a bold statement though. For me, to be the type of Delta that my Sorority would like me to be, would conflict with my relationship with God, and here's why. Delta's do a LOT of work! There is always something to do and always a need to be fulfilled, a committe that needs chairing, and event that needs to be fundraised for, etc. At the same time, there is much to do in the Kingdom of God, and those two things are not the same.

It is more important to me to get people saved than to get young women to join my Sorority. It is more important to meto be committed to being on helps ministry in my church than being on several committes with my chapter. It is more important to me to go into a battered women's shelter, a soup kitchen, a bad neighborhood etc. and lead these folks to Christ, pray with them and give them hope than it is to wear my DST T- shirt and do a good deed to represent my Sorority. It is more important to me to have my heavenly father say "well done thy good and faithful servant, than to hear him say, you were the baddest Delta! God will judge you according to the life you have lived. If you spent more of your time hyping up your Sorority and Fraternity and working for it, than you have exalting his name and winning more souls for the Kingdom..you have to ask yourself will he be pleased....

A lot of people ask me how I balance the two, and the truth is I don't. Delta has and continues to do a lot of good for the community, but just doing good for the community isn't enough. If I meet someone and I'm really nice to them, they are still going to hell if they are not saved. So I actually use Delta as a vehicle to meet people I otherwise would not have met,....to lead them to Christ. Sorors like to remind me that DST is a lifetime commitment, but for me, its just not that serious...

SO in some respects, I believe its very difficult to balance the Sorority (for active members) and a sound relationship with God, because you will end up doing more for one than you will for the other...

But thats just my opinion...
Old 02-09-2005, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
Re: Re: Re: God and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

Quote:
Im still confussed by this i believed that these organizations were built on Christian principles.
Are all the divine nine orgs based on christian principles?

if so, then would you [tell] interested members who are not of the Christian religion that information upfront?

(currently not an interest of any of the divine 9...but just curious)

Last edited by _Opi_; 02-09-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: How God Judges!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Iconoclastic
God judges you on the life you live and by His Word. This is a part of the Seven Judgments of Scripture. You call your life in Christ and DST a balance, but God calls it, serving two masters. You cannot be living up to an oath you took to God and be a halfway Delta. If you swore an oath to God via DST, then He requires of you what you promised. Are you living up to those obligations? According to you, you are not. I applaud your soul winning efforts. But why covenant with an organization that exalts a false god, lies in its oath, claims that its light should be seen on college campuses, etc.? I meet a whole of people I would not normally meet after denouncing. What do you say to the person you win to Christ who denounces? Not because it's not for them, but because God clearly spoke to them about DST and its ungodliness?

That is why it is so important to focus on the GLO, what it teaches, the fruit it bears, living up to its commitments and promises, etc.

By simply joining (making a covenant with) DST, a worldy organization made you of the world. DST is not merely an organization in the world. It is of the world by ORIGIN and by its own claim to come from freemasonry. DST changes scriptures, you might not, but they do, so why will God excuse you when you KNOW? DST exalts a false god. You may not, but DST does. Why should God excuse you when you KNOW? DST makes statements promising to protect the innocent, but do nothing in this area. DST has done nothing to help the murder of the unborn. You took this oath, DST is not living up to this oath, why should God excuse you when you KNOW this? DST preaches a plan of salvation when it claims that their dead go to an immortal place of rest WITHOUT Jesus. Why should God excuse you when you KNOW this? How can you separate from that which you bound yourself to by an oath? Where is your outcry concerning the DM (I Corinthians 13)? Where is your outcry against you National Chaplain's agreement with sexual immorality?
You must read some excerpts from the book "Oh God" by Susan Newman.
"It is about time! Finally the discussion of human sexuality in the church is out of the proverbial closet! Susan Newman brings a much-needed discussion of sex and single women of African descent to the table. She is frank and Biblical. She is honest and spiritual. She has a firm grasp of what women are privately thinking and is bold enough to bring the discussion to a public forum. It is a great read for African American women, single and married, and perfect for women’s groups.”
–BISHOP VASHTI MURPHY MCKENZIE
Presiding Prelate, 18th Episcopal District of the
African Methodist Episcopal Church
Botswana, Mozambique, Lesotho, and Swaziland

MEMBER AND NATIONAL CHAPLAIN OF DELTA SIGMA THETA SORORITY, INC.
www.sincerelysusan.com/pressinfo.html
If you are about the Kingdom, then Ephesians 5:11 commands you to, Have nothing to do with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. Are you doing this? Do you have personal knowlegde that hazing is occurring at a certain school? Do you here people discuss that they are still hazers? Beside soul winning, what are you doing to promote the Kingdom of God inside and outside of DST? There is more to this life in Christ than soul winning. We must also CONTEND for the faith.
919/278-8911

p.s. Anytime you use something for a purpose for which it is not intended or condoned is actually abuse. The point is that you have joined an organization unable and unwilling to help you in your quest to enlarge the Kningdom of God, but clearly helps to enlarge SATAN's kingdom.
Thank you for your opinions..and you keep doing what you feel God has called you to do..and I will keep doing what I feel God has called me to do. If I were like you, do you know how many people would not be reached because of your demeanor, disposition etc.? You come across as a zealot and although your message may be genuine, many people on here tune you out. One of the fundamentals you miss when trying to witness is knowing your audience...I appreciate your efforts, but when God tells me to denounce, I will. And until then, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.