GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,025
1 members and 1,024 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 04-08-2020, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

UK international student interested in greek life?

Hi, I'm a high school student from the UK and I'm thinking about either going to the US for university or doing a study abroad year, and I'm really interested in sorority life.

Greek life isn't a thing here, so I don't know too much about what greek life entails, and I was hoping someone could help me out. If I did one year studying abroad, would greek life be possible/worth it? I'm quite sporty, so would doing both sorority life and a competitive sport be possible? How much does joining a sorority cost, and would being from the UK be any help in joining one or would sororities expect me to completely understand everything about sorority life before I joined?

The more I look into greek life, the more fun it seems and it definitely seems like something I'd want to experience, there's just not much info anywhere for confused international students like me!
Old 04-08-2020, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I cannot answer all your questions, but I caution you against thinking Greek life will be the same at every school. What it costs, whether or not it's possible to balance its requirements with those of a competitive sport, and the priorities of the school's social life will ALL vary with the school.

Very large schools, those with sports teams that take over fall semester, schools in the American southeast, *in general* are very competitive and the fact you're here for only one year could play strongly in your selection or non-selection. Smaller schools, those which are not often mentioned on sports-news segments, more specialized schools have a different vibe, and are more likely (note I am not in any way declaring this universal) to want the experience of a sister from another country, or who will spend only one year here.

Recommend you do some searching to see which American sororities have alumnae chapters in UK; to have an alumnae group once you return to UK might allow you the continued sisterhood many of us feel for decades after leaving college. Then see which of those groups are present at the campuses you consider.

That's only part of the entire equation. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a poster last year or two years ago who joined a sorority while on a one-year study abroad program at William and Mary in Virginia. She also asked questions before going through recruitment...could someone with better sleuthing skills than mine find that thread?
Old 04-08-2020, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

We have hosted international exchange students for years and one thing I've noticed is that many think they can play on a competitive sports team at school without a tryout several months earlier. This is often not possible. Especially at big schools, the competition for athletic teams is intense and many of the aspirants have had years and years of coaching and experience. At some schools, many more are cut than make the team.

In college, you can play club sports or intramural sports; the players don't get money or scholarships. Therefore, if you pledged a sorority, you might play for their intramural team, or you could play for your dorm team if you didn't pledge.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
There was a poster last year or two years ago who joined a sorority while on a one-year study abroad program at William and Mary in Virginia. She also asked questions before going through recruitment...could someone with better sleuthing skills than mine find that thread?
I think it may be this one. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...lliam+and+Mary
Old 04-09-2020, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, that's the thread! Thanks!
Old 04-09-2020, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much everyone! I'll definitely have a look for sororities with alumnae chapters in the UK, that would be so great to still have that connection with people after leaving. I'm not sure if I would be able to; navigate trying out for sports teams, playing competitively with them and a sorority for just a year or two, does anyone know whether US colleges have the more recreational sports clubs (for those that don't want to compete as much)? Everyone's been so helpful - thanks!
Old 04-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

I would wager that most colleges, large or small, have intramural sports. I played on my sorority’s sports teams and on a fraternity’s little sister sports teams and was an officer 3 years for my sorority. Time management is key.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

There are a lot of variables to your question. Attend university abroad for all four years vs. one year abroad? Large university vs. small college/university? University sports team vs. intramural sports team? So much is going to depend upon which of these options you really want to pursue. If you attend a larger university with a more competitive Greek Life and intense sports atmosphere, then it may be more difficult to pledge a sorority (or gain a spot on a sports team) if you're only going to be on campus for a year. But that might not be a problem if you attend a smaller university where things aren't so competitive. If, on the other hand, you opt to enroll in a U.S. university for your undergraduate degree, you would likely have a similar Greek experience (both recruitment and membership) to any other student going through the process.

For my undergraduate degree, I attended a small, liberal arts college/university in the Midwest with about 1200 undergrad students (and an equal number of graduate students). There are quite a few international students on campus, primarily from Europe and South America. Most of them are recruited for the university's sports teams (golf, tennis, basketball, football/soccer), and many of them pledge sororities and fraternities. Because the university is smaller, and its sports teams compete more regionally, against other smaller universities, athletes do seem to have more time to devote to other activities, such as Greek life.

So you may want to first give some thought to what kind of American university experience you want to have?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:32 AM
GreekChat Member

With regard to sports, there almost always are opportunities to participate or play; it’s not choose either a sorority or never to break a sweat again, with no alternatives. If you want to play your sport, you can play your sport.

The distinction some people are drawing is about being an official college athlete, who is playing on the big-deal varsity team against other schools’ scholarship players, some of whom eventually play the sport professionally. You don’t rock up out of nowhere at an ACC or SEC (or similar) school and just join the varsity. Those players often are targeted years in advance. Even the varsity players at my Big Ten college who weren’t offered scholarships could have been full-scholarship players at other schools, and even those players get recruited long before August.

But you absolutely can participate on pickup, small group, intramural, rec center, or club teams for many sports. There are PLENTY of opportunities to be sporty for a few hours a week at most US schools.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Do it. If you want the quintessential U.S. college experience, Greek Life is a must. This will help you completely immerse yourself in U.S. culture and will leave you with many solid connections you'll keep for the rest of your life.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-13-2020, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone, I definitely understand the sorority system a lot more now. I had a look at intramural sports and it definitely seems like the kind of thing I would love to take part in, and I get how it all works now.

My original question is definitely massively vague, so thanks to everyone that's managed to help with my really unhelpful question haha. I'm still a couple of years off applying to uni and then I would apply for study abroad later, but the current colleges I was thinking about include; Boston College, University of California Berkeley, UCLA, University of Pennsylvania, University of Virginia and University of Richmond.

I would love to have that US college experience that I think a lot of people in the UK would dream of - really popular football teams with cheerleaders etc, which is why I'm so interested in greek life. I know it's a pretty long list, but if anyone knows anything about the general atmosphere as well as the greek life at any of those schools I'd be really grateful. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2020, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

here is the final football rankings for this past season.https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/
As you can see, only one of your schools is anywhere on these lists - Virginia....and they are at the bottom. I'm not saying the schools on your list have bad teams, they have all have decent teams and a decent following, show up on TV a lot, send the odd player to the pro teams, etc. But if you are looking for really popular ones, look at the southern schools: Alabama, LSU, Auburn, FLorida, FSU, etc.. Toss in Ohio State, Michigan and one or two others. However, a main concern would be your field of study...do any of these schools have a program in that? How good is it? Weather could also be a consideration...do you want school where it snows some or one where you rarely have have to wear winter type clothing? Do you need it to have good access to international travel?Lots to consider...
Old 04-13-2020, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Study abroad women usually do well in Recruitment at UCLA. Many international students go thru Recruitment and all the chapters have several international members, even women who are only spending one year at the university.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Study abroad women usually do well in Recruitment at UCLA. Many international students go thru Recruitment and all the chapters have several international members, even women who are only spending one year at the university.
I know three international students (France, Belgium and Brazil) who were Greeks at the University of Virginia (UVA). All of them were full-time UVA students, however. UVA holds formal recruitment in January in the middle of the academic year, which may put anyone doing only a year abroad at a disadvantage, unless they were interested in participating in informal recruitment at the beginning of the fall term (not every sorority participates in informal recruitment).