GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,505
1 members and 2,504 guests
No Members online

Old 12-17-2003, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Anyone know of any other current Kappa Sigma expansionary activity?

Does anyone out there know of any other current Kappa Sigma expansionary activity - interest groups, negotiations with local fraternites regarding affiliating with KS, attempts to revive presently dormant chapters, etc. - in addition to the recent colonizations at Arkansas State, Arkansas Tech, Southwest Oklahome State, RIT, North Florida, and Idaho State, all of which are now shown on the list ofactive chapters and colonies uner Current Locations subpage of the Join a Chapter page of the IMH website? The Idaho State colony was never first listed as an interest group on the Website; it jwas ust suddenly listed out of nowhere as a colony. So perhaps there are some other such groups that have not yet received offical status from IMH, but are working to become part of our fine Order. If anybody knows of any such group, I for one would enjoy reading about it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2003, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Umm...from what I heard at our Colonization weekend...In Utah there are 3 possible colonies. University of Utah is in the process of recolonizing after losing their charter last year, Weber State, and Utah State all have interest groups at them. I'm sure there are more than we even know about.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HollisterDXiChi Send a message via Yahoo to HollisterDXiChi
I believe some guys are trying to reactivate a chapter at Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah GA!
Old 02-04-2004, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jggnoedig
recently, we had mike olivas come help us with rush. while he was here, he let it slip that it looks like a chapter is restarting at UC - Santa Barbara and he mentioned one other southern california school, but i cannot remember for the life of me what it was.

AEKDB

Josh
Old 02-06-2004, 04:06 AM
GreekChat Member

HollisterDXiChi:

Thanks for responding to my enquiry.

Kappa Sigma has never had a chapter, or even a colony, at Armstrong Atlantic, or Armstrong State as it was previously called. So whatever interest group we might have there would be attempting to establish an altogether new chapter, not reactivate a dormant one.

Personally, I don't give that interest group much chance of succeeding. Armsrong has never had a strong Greek system and other fraternites have established chapters there which had short-lived existences before folding. But Kappa Sigma is definitely the strongest fraternity in Georgia (despite the fact that we are the only major fraternity that does not have a chapter at Emory University, one of the best private universities in the entire South, and a glaring omission from our activer chapter roll). So if any fraternity CAN establish a successful chapter at Armstrong, it could well be Kappa Sigma.

Please post again if you learn anything more about that group, or about any other Kappa Sig expansionary activity.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:30 AM
GreekChat Member

jggnoedig / Josh:

I was very pleased to read your advisement that Mike Olivas had mentioned Kappa Sigma possibly returning to UCSB. It is long overdue. Epsilon-Theta Chapter at UCSB was once a prominent Kappa Sigma chapter, whose membership included future NFLer Johnny Morris. But it has been inactive since 1970. Since then, several other fraternities have chartered or rechartered at UCSB [and some have closed]. But Kappa Sigma has never yet returned. So if and when Epsilon-Theta is indeed revived, it will be a most welcome addition to our active chapter roll ... especially since we are SERIOUSLY underepresented in Southern California, with only three active chapters (at USC, Cal State Long Beach, UC Irvine) [or four, if one regards Cal Poly SLO as being in Southern California] and one colony (San Diego State). Several of our major rivals, like SAE and Sigma Chi, have over 10 Southern California chapters!!!. If we were able to restore our presently inactive chapters at UCLA, UCSB, Cal State Fullerton, and Occidental College, that would at least double our representation to eight chapters.

The other school that Brother Olivas mentioned may well have been any of those other four inactve chapters, or Pepperdine, to which we have been trying unsuccessfully to expand ever since its local Greek system 'went national' about ten years ago.

On another topic, congratulations on your chapter's successful rush this year. I hope it is the start of a new period of prominence for Theta-Delta Chapter.

Last edited by stufield; 02-06-2004 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HollisterDXiChi Send a message via Yahoo to HollisterDXiChi
Quote:
Originally posted by stufield
HollisterDXiChi:

Kappa Sigma has never had a chapter, or even a colony, at Armstrong Atlantic, or Armstrong State as it was previously called. So whatever interest group we might have there would be attempting to establish an altogether new chapter, not reactivate a dormant one.

Personally, I don't give that interest group much chance of succeeding. Armsrong has never had a strong Greek system and other fraternites have established chapters there which had short-lived existences before folding. But Kappa Sigma is definitely the strongest fraternity in Georgia (despite the fact that we are the only major fraternity that does not have a chapter at Emory University, one of the best private universities in the entire South, and a glaring omission from our activer chapter roll). So if any fraternity CAN establish a successful chapter at Armstrong, it could well be Kappa Sigma.

Please post again if you learn anything more about that group, or about any other Kappa Sig expansionary activity.
Hey All I've really heard from the guy thats organizing it is that it is a reactivation thing. I havn't really gotten into details with that but I will find out more for ya. I don't even know if they keep year books here so there is no way for me to check out how the greeks and what greeks were on campus. I know they had like a bunch of two letter frats...
They had a meeting on Wed. and had about 10-11 guys show up-which is pretty good. Im pullin for them and helping them out in any way I and my sorority can. From checkin' out KappaSig chapter websites and pages, there are a lot of guys, in my opinon, on this campus that would fit the bill.
I'll ask the guy more questions about the the fraternity and I'll be sure ta get back with ya! Who knows, they just may be trying ta bring a whole new chapter ta Armstrong. I'll will get back with you all though when the information becomes available!
Old 04-08-2004, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

They've met thier quota with over 26 guys so they'll be colonizing(?) in the Fall. For more info contact Chris at newaasufraternity@yahoo.com.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally posted by HollisterDXiChi
They've met thier quota with over 26 guys so they'll be colonizing(?) in the Fall. For more info contact Chris at newaasufraternity@yahoo.com.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll send Chris your congrats
Old 04-23-2004, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

There's a colony currently under development at Suffolk University in Boston.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re-Colonization at LaGrange College

The Kappa-Omincron Colony is in the process of re-colonization at LaGrange College in LaGrange, Georgia. I played baseball for one year with these guys before I joined Kappa Sigma at the Lambda-Xi Chapter at Georgia College & State University. I know most of the guys and Kappa Sigma should know that they have a great bunch of guys helping to get Kappa Sigma back on the map at LaGrange College!

A.E.K.D.B

Last edited by KappaSig1018; 02-14-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Very nice
Old 06-23-2004, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I'm at the Delta-Eta Chapter (USC), and it's really great to hear about UC Santa Barbara's possibility of colonizing in the near future. It is a great school with a rapidly growing greek system.

I agree it would also be nice to have a chapter at ucla again, although we generally hate those guys ...well, maybe I'd like a few people over there if they were Kappa Sigs
Old 06-23-2004, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Kirk Chewning, the Fraternity's Expansion Commissioner, informed me that there was an interest group at UCSB several months ago, but that it collpased.

If anyone knows of a renewed attempt to return Epsilon-Theta chapter to UCSB, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Equally unfortunately, the Fraternity does not seem to be doing much of anything about, or at least making any progress towards, returning to UCLA.

With only nine active chapters (at Sac State, UC Davis, UC Berkeley, Stanford, San Jose State, Cal Poly SLO, USC, Long Beach State, and UC Irvine) and two colonies (Fresno State, which has been recolonized seemingly forever and apparently can't seem to build up sufficient strength numbers to meet SEC rechartering requirements and is probably doomed to close altogether; and San Diego State, which I had expected to have rechartered before the end of the school year, but hopefully will recharter soon) in all of California, KappaSigma remains very weakly represented in the Golden State. A return of inactive chapters at UCSB, UCLA, Cal State Fullerton, and Occidental College, all in Southern California, and expansion to at least one new Southern California school (Pepperdine, Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly Pomona, Loyola Marymount, Chapman, UC Riverside, UC San Diego ... there's certainly lots of schools whre we are presently unrepresented) and one new Northern California school - Chico State, which has a strong Greek system at which we are conspicuously absent, and the Univeristy of the Pacific, a really fine school with a slowly expanding Greek system - would be the most obvious choices. But given the second-rate schools at which the Fraternity presently has so many colonies (CW Post, Suffolk, Armstrong Atlantic, Nova Southeastern, SW Oklahoma, York College, etc., none of which enhance the Fraternity's prestige at all), our next California expasnion will probably be at some similar second-tier school like Cal State Hayward, Cal State San Bernadino, or Cal State Bakersfield. I suppose that any expansion in California would be welcome. But some schools obviously would be more preferable than others.

Anyway, a return to UCSB and/or UCLA certainly WOULD be GREAT. But, unfortunately, nothing seems to be happening for us at either school at present.