GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,238
2 members and 1,236 guests
navane, speedsters

Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
My thoughts exactly - perhaps he is gearing up to run for natiaonl president.
I doubt it.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

How the moratorium has affected some chapters:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.ph...on#comment7871
Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

The article paints only one side. UNC has always been a strong chapter and I'm sure it will continue.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

This is not the type of article that we usually see and it's good that people understand the negative effects of a moratorium, especially on smaller chapters. We can't solely rely on faith that they will continue.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
The article paints only one side. UNC has always been a strong chapter and I'm sure it will continue.
Paints only one side? I didn't get the impression the article was a debate, nor was it critical of he chapter.

I don't think the issue is whether UNC is strong enough to continue, but rather the fact that without members it cannot continue. No members=no chapter.

Obviously when the moratorium is lifted and it can once again do intake the chapter will have plenty of prospects. But until then the article, imo, accurately refelcts what happens when chapters are not allowed to take new members. Eventually all of the members graduate and no one is left.

On another note, there are some BGLOs that would put the chaper on inactive status when here is only one member left.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Obviously when the moratorium is lifted and it can once again do intake the chapter will have plenty of prospects. But until then the article, imo, accurately refelcts what happens when chapters are not allowed to take new members. Eventually all of the members graduate and no one is left.
What I wonder about in that situation is if the school understands what's going on and isn't going to make the post-moratorium members jump through hoops and/or treat them like an entirely new org. I mean, it's not their fault.

Schools are often so clueless about NPHC things - I know Pitt had this problem a couple years ago with NPHC groups possibly getting derecognized because they didn't have as many members as the NIC/NPC groups. To which I say DUUUUUHHHHHH.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Schools are often so clueless about NPHC things - I know Pitt had this problem a couple years ago with NPHC groups possibly getting derecognized because they didn't have as many members as the NIC/NPC groups. To which I say DUUUUUHHHHHH.
That's when the school and the organization's representatives work together to ensure that the charter is not lost. Some NPHC chapters, particularly at PWIs, pride themselves with being small. That can eventually pose a problem with and without a moratorium.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

While this situation for Alpha has been occasioned by the intake moratorium, it's so common for various reasons. Frequent suspensions and other problems with administrations--at HBCUs and PWIs--often mean that chapter size is small. My own undergrad chapter of Omega was off "the yard" for a decade. If it was up to some, we would never have come back, but our chapter alumni remained persistent in the face of obstacles.

Mu Zeta Chapter of APhiA will be like the phoenix if the moratorium persists. For good or ill, the NPHC orgs "brands" are so distinct and indelibly marked in the consciousness of black college life that there will never be a time when a dormant chapter will not have interests to resurrect or reconstitute a chapter.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
That's when the school and the organization's representatives work together to ensure that the charter is not lost. Some NPHC chapters, particularly at PWIs, pride themselves with being small. That can eventually pose a problem with and without a moratorium.
This is true but changing at some schools. Likely due to stigma and known situations regarding membership intake violations, some schools are no longer caring so much about NPHC orgs' needs and differences. I know of a PWI that now considers chapters inactive if there is less than 5 active members on campus and NPHC chapters are not exempt.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I know of a PWI that now considers chapters inactive if there is less than 5 active members on campus and NPHC chapters are not exempt.

My alma mater has upped it to 10, with little to no regard to an org's method of intake. Their stance is pretty much if your arent at 10 or you even anticipate dropping below 10 then you better just find the number of people you need and "make it do what it do" (not their actual words of course).
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What I wonder about in that situation is if the school understands what's going on and isn't going to make the post-moratorium members jump through hoops and/or treat them like an entirely new org. I mean, it's not their fault.

This happened to my undergrad chapter and other NPHCs on campus. They either had to be exclusive to the school and retain a certain number or no longer be recognized on campus. Since most were city-wide anyway, their charter's were not in jeopardy BUT they could no longer reserve rooms, participate in certain activities, get school funding, etc.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
This is true but changing at some schools. Likely due to stigma and known situations regarding membership intake violations, some schools are no longer caring so much about NPHC orgs' needs and differences. I know of a PWI that now considers chapters inactive if there is less than 5 active members on campus and NPHC chapters are not exempt.
I remember hearing of a nearby college that had required NPHC sororities to participate in NPC rush/recruitment week to be recognized. I think it was the school's attempt to help the chapters increase their numbers. I don't know if they were required to hold pref or give bids, and I don't know what came of it, but another example of PWIs misunderstanding of NPHC needs and methods.

And don't get me wrong, I respect and like (most) of how NPC does recruitment, but countless retro stories paint horrid stories of less successful/stigmatized recruitment for smaller chapters (and smaller being like under 25-30). So how the freek is an NPHC chapter of 5-10 expected to throw a weeklong party w/o a house and little knowledge abt how the system even works?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Banned

Generally speaking, small chapters have always felt pressures from the GLO and the college/university. That doesn't stop the small chapters from being proud of their size and perceived exclusivity. I won't go on that soapbox.

I respect NPC and NIC recruitment for the NPC and NIC. I never want the NPHC to hold recruitment or widely participate in recruitment. I know a couple of NPHC chapters participate in recruitment. Yay for them but that's only for them. Not like it truly matters, but I don't know if I would ever respect NPHCers who were "made" through a recruitment and bid process.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
This is not the type of article that we usually see and it's good that people understand the negative effects of a moratorium, especially on smaller chapters. We can't solely rely on faith that they will continue.
Yes, as much as we would like to think we have it like that...reality will soon set in.

Quote:
This is what I fear may happen. I attended a PWI and I could definitely see this happening at my old school. It provides another reason for the school to keep a particular group off the yard. Sometimes it doesn't matter how STRONG the alumni chapter is and how much they advocate to get the college chapter back on campus. If a school doesn't want you they will find a way to keep you off their campus. The moratorium just provides the incentive.

Quote:

Not like it truly matters, but I don't know if I would ever respect NPHCers who were "made" through a recruitment and bid process.
Ditto
Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Generally speaking, small chapters have always felt pressures from the GLO and the college/university. That doesn't stop the small chapters from being proud of their size and perceived exclusivity. I won't go on that soapbox.

I respect NPC and NIC recruitment for the NPC and NIC. I never want the NPHC to hold recruitment or widely participate in recruitment. I know a couple of NPHC chapters participate in recruitment. Yay for them but that's only for them. Not like it truly matters, but I don't know if I would ever respect NPHCers who were "made" through a recruitment and bid process.
I agree and just my opinion, but I don't think we should exist at schools that will not allow us to follow our own recruitment process. Obviously, they don't care or respect our organizations' needs and differences.