GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,168
4 members and 2,164 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Xidelt

Old 08-30-2002, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PandaOnProzac
High school pride versus college pride

If anyone asked me about high school I'd tell them college is sooooo much better. I really found the microcosm of high school to be very closed off to the world whereas in college you don't have much of that high school social garbage.

I've got more pride in my university than I do of my high school.

How about you?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2002, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

um, hells yeah. The idea of joining my HS alum assn makes me crack the fu*k up. Its for those who didint really make it to college.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
I agree with you there. I hated HS, but I love college. In college, you got rid of the high school mentality.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

I'll have to admit that when I was in HS we got waaay crazier for football, pep rallies and such. Of course we were known for that with our HS. Catholic HS's in my state are just that way.

I'm far more involved in my college though. So there's another side to the coin.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-31-2002, 12:57 PM

High school was fun. Lots of dates, football games, etc.

However you won't find me wearing a "Brookhaven Bearcat" tee shirt.

On the other hand, I'm proud every day, and apt to tell anyone, to be an Ohio University Alum.

In fact, I'm wearing an OU tee shirt today as I work around the house.

I'll be heading back to OU for Homecoming next month. I certainly haven't done that for the old high school team.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I detested my high school--I don't talk to anyone from those years. I absolutely love my University, on the other hand, and once I am financially independent, will donate large sums of money.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

What high school did I go to again? j/k but seriously the only time I have been back to my old high school was to support events that my little brother was in (concerts, graduation etc). On the other hand, I see myself being a supportive Muhlenberg College alumna in the years to come.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
I detested my middle/high school as well, but managing to get through it is something I'm quite proud of. It was rough, and it contributed a great deal towards making me the person that I am.

So when it comes down to it, I'll wear a Spence t-shirt, and I wear my Spence ring all the time. I get a lot more mileage out of my college stuff, and of COURSE I wear it, but I wear my high school stuff too. Why not?
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 08-31-2002, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chopper816
i had no problem with high school, i loved it! the football games, the parties, and all the other activities in high school. it was a great time, and i think my high school had a unique environment compared to all the other schools around here. there were the little groups, but for the most part, eveyone was cool with everyone (except the "skaters" and "burnouts") but thats a different story. i still miss high school sometimes, mostly b/c i dont see old friends as much as i would like to. but anyways, college is cool too. you have more freedoms that grow up fast, so i would say that college pride and high school pride are two different types of pride, based on different things.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Bro, thank God you joined LXA!!!!!!, that, watching the corn grow, and UN football is the onlyiest thing doing up there!

Never been back to my HS since I Grad. Yes I did! Would never go back to my College if the LXA Chapter not there!

Give my best to the Brothers there!

in ZAX,

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-31-2002, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

If it wasn't for sports or band in high school I would have just completely hated it..so..I only about 90% hate it. College is just so much better..even a tiny-speck of a school..lol You start out w/a clean slate and have a much better chance to have an awesome social and academic life than what some had in HS. Plus, it's kinda funny to see the people who were the 'top of the class' in high school not be able to emotionally make it through college, it's nice...
Old 08-31-2002, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I love my college but I have way more pride/school spirit for my high school. My school was really small and felt like my home. I was extremely involved in the school but besides that I met some amazing people who were like my family. My college is huge and while I am proud of my sorority and friends, I don't have the affection for the institution i did in high school.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
HS was all right. But I'll never wear a Forest Hills t-shirt or anything. Though we do have our "famous" alumni such as Paul Simon, Art Garfunkul (sp?), The Ramones, etc. However, if I die, and is a filthy rich man, I would donate most of my money to Buffalo State.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:43 PM

I hated high school. I got a great education, but a lot of my fellow students were stuck-up, obnoxious, well... JAPs. Think "Heathers" or Cordelia from the first couple of seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". If you didn't have the latest shoes and handbag, if you or your parents didn't drive a Mercedes or BMW, you were out.

Plus, in high school you are still treated like a little kid, even if you're a senior. I'm sorry, an 18-year-old shouldn't need a hall pass to use the bathroom.

College is so much better. You are treated like an adult - I think that's the big thing. If you want to skip your 9am lecture to sleep in, nobody's going to call your parents or drag you to class - but it's on your head if you've skipped so many lectures that you can't pass your exams.

In the social scene, it doesn't matter as much how much money your daddy makes or what kind of car you drive; your social life is of your own making to a large degree. Yes, it can make a difference what fraternity or sorority you're in, if any, but driving a Mercedes isn't going to get you into a "top" house.

I wear my college class ring frequently. I don't even own a high school ring.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Over fall break i'm going to go to my hs and knock stuff down. And then if they yell at me be like "You can't kick me out I'm an alumnus." Haha.