GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,409
2 members and 1,407 guests
Xidelt, znathanhulzeo24

Old 02-05-2003, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Kappa Sigma Expansion

I for one would like to see some response from Members on G C concerning ReChartering on a campus where a Greek Organization previously was located!

While it is concerning a single Organization at this time, I am sure we have all been through this at one time or another!

I am interested in what you all have to say regarding this!

Why, for the simple reason, there has been and will be circumstances where it happens again.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-05-2003, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It's Simple

If you've had a chapter on a good campus, where you can have a strong chapter, you want to go back. If you were on a dog campus, you don't want to re-establish a chapter there again. At any public university, any fraternity is free to establish a chapter. If I were a school I woud encourage the best nationals to come in. They tend to have the best managed, most ambitious, highest achieving chapters.
What is the situation there. Why do you ask the question?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Thrill, you need to PM me to get the answer! Get My Drift?

Tried to e-m but said Nada!

Give me a shot I F Bro!!!!

Later!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-05-2003, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm all for expansion, particulalry re-colonization.

What I'm going to say next may be off the point, but I think it raises a valid question.

What bothers me is when an organization puts expansion ahead of fixing chapters that are having problems and are in need of assistance.

I won't name the organization, but my 2nd cousin's chapter had a wholesale exodus from his chapter during the past summer and 1st semester. They went from about 35 members to now just having 8. Their house is only still open due to the generous gifts of alumni...they get one meal a day from a neighboring chapter, they can't heat every part of the house, they have only a tiny rush budget, and it is hard to compete against houses of 80 when you are not winning things on campus, and you are left trying to show off your social calendar as a reason to join.

My cousin has worked his ass of trying to get anyone within their standards to join, and keep brothers from quitting. He was told that he was going to have an Educational Consultant (or similar position...we call them EC's in Beta) from his International Org, only to be told that the guy decided he was going to help with the colonization of another campus instead.

The question that this leads me to is: Where is the line drawn between helping brothers, particularly ones who are trying to fix a wrong, and just deciding to cut your losses?
Old 02-05-2003, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The_Nash
Colony

I am part of a colony that has been recolonized back on my campus. This is Sigma Pi's third time back on campus, and I'm hoping and working so that this time, we stay for good.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

kappa sig in re colonizing at sdsu after one year of them being kicked off. i personally was not in favor of this because how could you have fixed all your problems that caused you to loose your charter in a year? and why should any of the old members be able to help restart the chapter? i am on IFC, and i was at the meeting. IFC officers were not allowed to vote, but chapter delegates were. i don't think it is a good idea to have kappa sig back at sdsu after less than one year.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by josh8o
kappa sig in re colonizing at sdsu after one year of them being kicked off. i personally was not in favor of this because how could you have fixed all your problems that caused you to loose your charter in a year? and why should any of the old members be able to help restart the chapter? i am on IFC, and i was at the meeting. IFC officers were not allowed to vote, but chapter delegates were. i don't think it is a good idea to have kappa sig back at sdsu after less than one year.
\

But on the reverse of this could it not also be true that they have made progress? Maybe they have realized many many times over that they messed up bad and they are changing the way the handle their fraternity and the matters surrounding IN ORDER to help them recolonize on campus.

People should keep an open mind about things.....people make mistakes and they change and they can do it in a short amount of time if needed.

I think an IFC officer should keep more of an open mind in a situation regarding this matter and not place judgement or perception on things of the past.

That's just my take on it all...we should be supporting all greek orgs in their faults and in their triumphs.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa
\

But on the reverse of this could it not also be true that they have made progress? Maybe they have realized many many times over that they messed up bad and they are changing the way the handle their fraternity and the matters surrounding IN ORDER to help them recolonize on campus.

People should keep an open mind about things.....people make mistakes and they change and they can do it in a short amount of time if needed.

I think an IFC officer should keep more of an open mind in a situation regarding this matter and not place judgement or perception on things of the past.

That's just my take on it all...we should be supporting all greek orgs in their faults and in their triumphs.
i see your point, and the reason why they lost their charter was due to the fact that 2 years earlier they got in touble for the same thing, and were given a second chance. i would not have a problem with kappa sig coming back and restarting with new men, but its a few of the old guys who are still around that will be runing the colony that could make the same issues resurface. besides, they lost their charter in the spring of 2002. they were still around campus and living in their house thought the semester. so they really have only had a summer and the fall semester to "regroup" if you will...
my chapter got into trouble last spring, and imediately we turned our focuse into positive: we completed 1000 hours of community service in one semester, raised money to pay off past debts from our alumni, attended leadership conferences, hosted risk management presentations, and went dry. we are currently finishing our period of probation, and on our last day of IFC probation (2-28-2003) the alpha phi sorority starts. we are not allowed to participate in the first day of a philanthropy to raise money for a local ymca because of our sanctions..... it is things like this that make me think that a fraternity that made the same mistakes twice should not be allowed back on campus with some of the same members.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by josh8o
i see your point, and the reason why they lost their charter was due to the fact that 2 years earlier they got in touble for the same thing, and were given a second chance. i would not have a problem with kappa sig coming back and restarting with new men, but its a few of the old guys who are still around that will be runing the colony that could make the same issues resurface. besides, they lost their charter in the spring of 2002. they were still around campus and living in their house thought the semester. so they really have only had a summer and the fall semester to "regroup" if you will...
my chapter got into trouble last spring, and imediately we turned our focuse into positive: we completed 1000 hours of community service in one semester, raised money to pay off past debts from our alumni, attended leadership conferences, hosted risk management presentations, and went dry. we are currently finishing our period of probation, and on our last day of IFC probation (2-28-2003) the alpha phi sorority starts. we are not allowed to participate in the first day of a philanthropy to raise money for a local ymca because of our sanctions..... it is things like this that make me think that a fraternity that made the same mistakes twice should not be allowed back on campus with some of the same members.
Good points all around. Thanks for informing me of the "bigger picture." I see exactly where you are coming from.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's another thing: we have 14 IFC fraternities compared to 9 PHC sororities, with the 14 fraternities ranging in size from 100 - 20, and each sorority except one having at least 50 members. Only a select few IFC houses can have exchanges with sororities.

Now we have Kappa Sig coming back, Beta back within the next few years, and Lambda Chi still owns property here so they can still come back. That's going to dilute house size even more, how can the smaller houses compete over the years with things basically going the same way they've been over the last few years?
Old 02-06-2003, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan

Now we have Kappa Sig coming back, Beta back within the next few years, and Lambda Chi still owns property here so they can still come back. That's going to dilute house size even more, how can the smaller houses compete over the years with things basically going the same way they've been over the last few years?
There is always a way to compete man....creativity can be a stellar thing. It's how my chapter (a local) has survived as long as it has.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Betarulz!
I'm all for expansion, particulalry re-colonization.

What I'm going to say next may be off the point, but I think it raises a valid question.

What bothers me is when an organization puts expansion ahead of fixing chapters that are having problems and are in need of assistance.

I won't name the organization, but my 2nd cousin's chapter had a wholesale exodus from his chapter during the past summer and 1st semester. They went from about 35 members to now just having 8. Their house is only still open due to the generous gifts of alumni...they get one meal a day from a neighboring chapter, they can't heat every part of the house, they have only a tiny rush budget, and it is hard to compete against houses of 80 when you are not winning things on campus, and you are left trying to show off your social calendar as a reason to join.

My cousin has worked his ass of trying to get anyone within their standards to join, and keep brothers from quitting. He was told that he was going to have an Educational Consultant (or similar position...we call them EC's in Beta) from his International Org, only to be told that the guy decided he was going to help with the colonization of another campus instead.

The question that this leads me to is: Where is the line drawn between helping brothers, particularly ones who are trying to fix a wrong, and just deciding to cut your losses?
Betarulz,

I completely agree...sometimes it seems like HQ's would rather start a fresh new chapter than help a 60 year old one with "warts and all." The problem with that is you piss off lots of alumni. Some groups have the manpower and $$$ to have 6 colonies going and help all their struggling chapters, but that's not always feasible. A man's got to know his limitations, as they say.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I know I'm going to get jacked up for saying this, but this is sort of why it's good to have the NPC expansion process. The entire panhellenic votes on the issue, and it gives the chapters a voice to air the fears of diluting house sizes and hurting smaller chapters. BUT, if it's one group holding a campus back from expanding because they aren't doing their share to help themselves, then you have to wonder if that group should even be there in the first place.

NPC expansion, while a long and sometimes arduous process, often times works. It's why DeltaSigStan's campus has 9 sororities of relatively equal size. Add 5 more sororities to match the number of fraternities, and it wouldn't be so even. Greek Life shouldn't be a survival of the fittest, but a community helping each other grow. I know that's a fantasy land, but it is nice to consider