GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,182
1 members and 1,181 guests
No Members online

Old 06-16-2000, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Exclamation Reading Rainbow

With all the mention of books on here lately, I thought that maybe we could all share our fave books on fraternity/sorority matters, Greek life, etc.

To start things off, here's a little list. Some of them have already been mentioned in the forums. I've only read one thus far (Broken Pledges) but plan on picking up a few more over the summer...
  • Sorority Sisters - Tajuana Butler:
    This is, apparently, a book about some young women who meet while online w/ a BGLO and their struggles, triumphs, etc.
  • The Divine Nine - Lawrence C. Ross:
    A history of all of the members of NPHC (see the "Divine Nine" post for comments!)
  • Broken Pledges - Hank Nuwer:
    Based on an actual story of young man who died during pledging/initiation activities. Also about how his mother dealt with her anger and turned it into a positive thing for Greeks. (The incident occurred in the late 1970's, so the book is a little dated)
  • Wrongs of Passage: Fraternities, Sororities, Hazing & Bing Drinking - Hank Nuwer: I think the title says it all. I also think that this is based on actual incidents and stories.
  • From Here to Fraternity - Robert Egan: This is the infamously out of print book on GLOs. Supposed to be good if you can get your hands on a copy
  • New Challenges for Greek Letter Organizations: Transforming Fraternities and Sororities into Learning Communities - Edward G. Whipple:
    I just happened across this on Amazon.com. Has a list of chapter contents, and they sound intriguing. I also think this is a more academic book, so might be a bit of a drag in parts. Probably meant more for Student Activities Directors and Greek Life Advisors. Still... it did spark my interest a bit.

Well, that's what I threw together real quick. I myself would enjoy some less academic (or 'lighter') material (like 'Sorority Sisters' seems to be), as well as histories, if anyone knows of any.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-16-2000, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are a few more:

Sister Secrets and Beyond Our Mothers' Footsteps by Breggie James

In Search of Sisterhood: Delta Sigma Theta and the Challenge of the Black Sorority Movement by Paula Giddings