GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,183
0 members and 1,183 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Fraternity or Sorority Magazine

Do you have an option to receive your magazine in the mail or online?

This month is the second time that we were forced to get ours online. Yes, I know that I'm a dinosaur, but I really, really hate the online versions! There are articles that I would love to save, information I'd like to keep, etc, etc, and right now, I don't have a working printer. I wants my snail mail magazine!

FWIW, one of my earliest influences on Greek Life was seeing the various sorority magazines in neighbors' homes. To me, it's an invaluable recruitment tool!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I hate the online ones as well. They are no substitute.

Ours, I think is quarterly, or at least it aspires to that.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I, too, like curling up in a comfy chair and turning actual pages. I spend my working life in front of a computer screen.

Only Pi Phis who pay yearly alumnae dues are entitled to all print copies. I think the current configuration is that all alumnae are sent the fall magazine and then only dues paying members get the other three hard copies.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

I would gladly pay for a subscription to receive the hard copy! And our Adelphean is also quarterly.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I prefer magazines in hard copy. I'm a dedicated kindle reader for books, but I like my magazines on paper.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
The Eleusis is published 3 times a year. Every living alumna and collegian with a good mailing address receives all 3 copies. The online version is available for everyone as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Alpha Gam's Quarterly alternates. Two issues each year are virtual and two are hardcopy. SAI still sends hardcopy Pan Pipes (quarterly magazine) & Tempo! (Nat'l quarterly chapter newsletter).

Personally, I don't mind the virtual copies. AGD allows it to open in adobe, so I can save a soft copy if I want.

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 04-04-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma publishes both ways and you have to request to be on the hard copy list. I get the hard copy. I like it better and I have all of them going back to 1980.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I prefer the hard copy version but as a teacher and mom, I see how everything is quickly going digital faster than I'd like. Textbooks, classroom magazines, worksheets, etc. are quickly going to all digital versions and students will have tablets instead of books very soon if they don't already.

What I don't like about our online magazine is that I use a Notebook and it's not very user friendly for our online magazine. I think it would be better on a tablet. One thing I did like, however, is that there seemed to be a lot more pictures than there normally would be.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Online versions are so difficult to read!

Online copy often starts out fuzzy, then remains fuzzy under the one available ZOOM-IN function.

When you zoom-in to read a long article then turn a page to continue reading, zoom-in function maddeningly releases requiring mouse clicks/adjustments to resume.

Hard copy magazines can also be difficult to read when colorful but not-reading-friendly printing/background are used, for example light yellow printing on a bright orange background or pale blue background with light grey printing. The problem there is copy LOOKS good when set-up on a computer screen, but the color-blends too difficult to read when printed as regular magazine.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I receive hard copies of The Aglaia three times a year (winter/spring, summer and fall). I just received the winter/spring copy and noticed it's actually larger than the past issues, about an inch or so wider pages.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

We have the choice to receive one way or the other or both. When I repatriated I chose to go with both, but I was really glad when I had an electronic version available to me overseas. It is the only magazine I get in paper and it's been that way for years. I hate throwing away all that paper! Yesterday I went through the growing mountain of paper (is it mail, junk mail, coupons, etc.?) and filled a garbage can without even finishing the task! In the question of can you live without home delivery of your mail, I can say without hesitation that yes you can. I did it for 3 blissful, junk-mail free years.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
For Omega Phi Alpha, we still get hard copies of The Chevron, but the hard copies are in black and white. The online versions are now in color.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The Adelphean's online version is clunky and doesn't read well. It irritates me. I do like all the pictures though!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi's is only hardcopy. They did try to do an online mag between Compass publications but it seems to have fizzled out quickly.

Θ Φ Α