GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,491
0 members and 2,491 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedRover
Rush Events

I was on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh the other day and I picked up a copy of the student newspaper, the Pitt News.

On the centerfold page of the newspaper was the list of rush events for 18 fraternities. The fraternities each scheduled between five to eight different events between Sept 5 and Sept 12, with dinner by invitation only set for Sept. 13. Each fraternity schedules one event per day and many of the events are at staggered times (5 p.m., 6 p.m., 8 p.m., 9 p.m.). However, many of the events are held off campus with transportation provided.

My question is this: with 18 fraternities scheduling events over one week, it is realistic to expect a rushee to visit every house at least once and pay a second or third visit to the houses that he has a serious interest? Is this normal operating procedure?

Just wonderin'
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

This is very similar to how rush is structured for IFC at my school, so hopefully this advice helps but I wouldn't take it as scripture since there are probably small differences. Coming from the other side I can tell you that for many chapters the number of days that a guy comes out to an event is kept track of. This doesn't necessarily mean that we keep a written record of who comes to what and for how long, but the vast majority of kids we bid were kids that came to only our events and nobody gets a bid if they only showed up to one for half the time. While less selective chapters may do things differently, the general consensus is usually the more times you show up, the higher your chances of getting a bid.

With that in mind this is one of the only times I would do a little "research"...not necessarily asking who the biggest partiers are, who gets the hot girls, who are the dorks, etc but asking questions based around your interests. AKA, who are the athletes, who are the scholars, who are the most involved on campus, etc. From those types of questions you can kind of narrow it down matched to your interests. Go to as many of those houses events early on as possible and decide a favorite as quickly as possible...but make sure you are noticing how enthusiastic they are about you, not just as enthusiastic you are about them...I've found that picking up on subtle clues like that can make all the difference between a succesful IFC rush and an un-succesful one.

Is there one day where every house has to stay on campus? That's usually the best day to see as many chapters as possible. It's a hard process when you have to choose before rush which houses to focus on but strangely enough it seems to work out most of the time. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedRover
Thanks jwsteele

If you are a first semester freshman, wouldn't it be difficult to get information as to which house is the athletes, which is the campus politicians, which is the stoners, etc. A second semester freshman or sophomore would be a bit more savvy.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

True, but from my experience fraternity rush is always a bit random and that's what I love about it. How I feel about greek life in general is that there are always going to be multiple chapters that you would fit in...it's all about picking one that you'd fit in, making an incredible experience in that chapter and remaining loyal. In retrospect after my rush in a similar situation (18-20 chapters on my campus, picking a handful to rush in my first week of school) I can now see myself fitting in at other chapters as well...but I would never second guess my decision to go with the chapter I did. I think that's generally how fraternity rush works and people are rarely disappointed.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsteele View Post
True, but from my experience fraternity rush is always a bit random and that's what I love about it. How I feel about greek life in general is that there are always going to be multiple chapters that you would fit in...it's all about picking one that you'd fit in, making an incredible experience in that chapter and remaining loyal. In retrospect after my rush in a similar situation (18-20 chapters on my campus, picking a handful to rush in my first week of school) I can now see myself fitting in at other chapters as well...but I would never second guess my decision to go with the chapter I did. I think that's generally how fraternity rush works and people are rarely disappointed.
I so agree with this.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The problem is that this is many times like a Sorority rush. Granted, we did this but with a lot of less Fraternities.

It is like a cattle call and everyone is to damn tired to even think.

Maybe, just maybe it would be better if there was more informal rush. But, I guess that is not the question. Just some idle thoughts.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
My school is pretty laid back with Fraternity rush. IFC lets each chapter do its own thing on its own timeline...

For example, while Sigma Nu has 1 month of Rush events followed by 2 weeks of bids, Sigma Phi Epsilon has 2 weeks of rush, then has everyone receive their bid on the same day.

This allows a bit more flexibility in checking out the 11 fraternities that ODU has to offer, and the longer rush is for your fraternity, the more likely it is that you will pull in a larger pledge class.
--Since 1869--
S N E T T