GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 928
1 members and 927 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Another SEC Recruitment Story, Cut Short

My recruitment story, though it ended rather quickly.

As a sophomore, I knew recruitment at a very competitive, very large SEC school would be difficult, but I didn’t expect to be dropped so early on in the recruitment process. As my username suggests, I’m at the University of Florida, where about 15% of our campus is Greek, which is a pretty large chunk.

I’ll start out by saying I didn’t rush freshman fall for two reasons: recruitment began early at our school, and as a first generation with almost no connections to Greek Alum, I had now idea how to begin. Second, I wasn’t actually accepted into UF until the spring term, so I wasn’t actually a student at the time. (Apparently, UF has begun splitting each incoming class into fall and spring in order to accept more students...winter grads are replaced by new spring freshman.)

Because of the latter, I chose to register for the less formal spring recruitment. At UF, about 500 girls probably participated, and 95 girls were extended bids, making my chances rather slim. I didn’t know anything about recs, and since I was just starting school, I did not know any greek women. I honestly wasn’t expecting a bid, and treated spring rush as training for fall recruitment six months later.

During those six months, I spent my semester getting used to college life, raising my GPA to a modest 3.4, and joining a club specific to my major. Nothing spectacular, but I’m not the most outgoing girl on campus and I tried my best to meet new people. My life still felt like it was missing something, and the more I heard girls in my classes and saw my friends from other universities having the time of their lives as sorority women, I knew that was what I wanted.

I registered for fall recruitment early, sent in a nice modest photo, got recs for five houses after sending emails to local alum for every chapter on campus, cleaned up my social networking sites, and bought trendy yet classy outfits for all four rounds. I spoke to my friends at other universities about proper etiquette, what to talk about, what to avoid, and the like. I’m well spoken, tall, thin, with long hair and tan skin and don't seem too terribly awkward...granted, this counts for about 50-80% of the ladies at UF. I thought I’d at least make it to pref night.

The first round finally came, and I was very excited and not too nervous, to my surprise. I visited all 16 chapter houses in one day. After 18 hours and spending 20 minutes in each house, I was exhausted but thought I presented myself well and was excited to see my schedule for round two. We went back to Norman Hall to preference, which was simply ranking our bottom five houses and listing the other eleven in no specific order, not actually cutting any house. The process took a while (did I mention there were over 1400 girls going through recruitment this year?) but I finally went back home and felt hopeful for the next day.

As I was getting dressed to meet my group for round two, I got a phone call from my Pi Chi. She told me I only had one house that day (the max would have been eight) and would not need to come until later that day. At first I was pretty surprised, then very nervous, but I took the news as well as I could and held my head high that night at the one house, which was rumored to be a top-tier house. I spoke to three girls, all of which had similar interests and career paths as I and I felt pretty good about the house. I even felt like I somehow belonged there.

The next day concluded round two, and I received my schedule from my Pi Chi in person. She handed my a small slip of paper, and the look on her face was one of empathy with a forced smile. I had two houses to visit, which means only three houses out of sixteen gave me an invitation to round two. I was somewhat shocked at first, but the three houses were chapters I greatly admired and could see myself as a sister. I should also mention out of the five houses that I had recs for, only one had called me back for round two. The first house I went to was the house I had the rec for, and I felt comfortable, but didn’t really feel a connection and could sense that neither did the three sisters I spoke to, so I could understand if they dropped me. I went to my last house soon after and felt the same as I did the at the first house of the previous night. I had great conversations with three sisters, one of which rushed as a sophomore as well, and felt hopeful. I left the house with a real smile, and went back to my Pi Chis to preference before going home for the day. Preferencing was similar to round one: we were to rank our bottom three houses and list our favorite four in no order. Since I only had three houses, I simply listed them as my top three and left for the day.

Round three was to start at 9am, and at 7am, just as I was about to take a shower, I received a phone call from my Pi Chi. I was dropped from recruitment. I had no emotion for the next few minutes while on the phone with her. I simply thanked her for her help over the past few days and wished her a great year. She seemed shocked I took the news so well and told me I could give her a call if I needed to talk. After I hung up I just sat in bed for a few minutes, then I suddenly began to cry and sob to myself. Was I not pretty enough? Was I socially awkward? Did someone from my high school in the chapter hate my guts? Was it because I’m a sophomore? Or because I’m just not interesting to talk to? I lay in bed for a while wondering what went wrong. I know, and am trying to accept, I’ll never know why or how the process goes on behind the closed doors of the chapter rooms of each house.

I contacted my Pi Chis, the Recruitment Chair, and Greek affairs about snap bidding and COB, though I have not heard back. I’m hoping maybe one of the houses will reconsider me after bid day (which is tomorrow) if their quota is not met, but I’m not really expecting much. I ran the numbers in my head: 1400 PNMs, with 16 chapters accepting a pledge class of about 60 ladies is 960 bids. About 400 other girls are in the same position as me. I’ve been told to try spring recruitment in January (again), but as a sophomore, I’m wondering if it’s even worth bothering.

Here’s my question to you ladies of GC, what should I do next? I really want to go Greek, but it seems they don't want me.

Last edited by gatorgeneration; 11-09-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry your experience was not what you had hoped for. From what I can tell, your main problem was most likely the lack of recs. They are absolutely required at UF. And 2 for each chapter if possible. You will still need them for spring COB if you try that route. If you don't get picked up this fall, find out from Greek Life who will be doing spring COB and get recs - 2 if possible - for all those chapters. Personal contact rather than emailing an alum group is best. NETWORK! Ask your HS teachers, parents friends, employers, SS teachers, parents friends, friends already in college, etc. Anyone you know who may have gone to college is a possible contact. If you find someone in group A, ask if they know anyone in the other groups. Start now doing your networking so you are ready. Sorry you didn't know this up front but otherwise,you'll most likely get released again.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgeneration View Post
My recruitment story, though it ended rather quickly.

As a sophomore, I knew recruitment at a very competitive, very large SEC school would be difficult, but I didn’t expect to be dropped so early on in the recruitment process. As my username suggests, I’m at the University of Florida, where about 15% of our campus is Greek, which is a pretty large chunk.

I’ll start out by saying I didn’t rush freshman fall for two reasons: recruitment began early at our school, and as a first generation with almost no connections to Greek Alum, I had now idea how to begin. Second, I wasn’t actually accepted into UF until the spring term, so I wasn’t actually a student at the time.

Because of the latter, I chose to register for the less formal spring recruitment. At UF, about 500 girls probably participated, and 95 girls were extended bids, making my chances rather slim. I didn’t know anything about recs, and since I was just starting school, I did not know any greek women. I honestly wasn’t expecting a bid, and treated spring rush as training for fall recruitment six months later.

During those six months, I spent my semester getting used to college life, raising my GPA to a modest 3.4, and joining a club specific to my major. Nothing spectacular, but I’m not the most outgoing girl on campus and I tried my best to meet new people. My life still felt like it was missing something, and the more I heard girls in my classes and saw my friends from other universities having the time of their lives as sorority women, I knew that was what I wanted.

I registered for fall recruitment early, sent in a nice modest photo, got recs for five houses after sending emails to local alum for every chapter on campus, cleaned up my social networking sites, and bought trendy yet classy outfits for all four rounds. I spoke to my friends at other universities about proper etiquette, what to talk about, what to avoid, and the like. I’m well spoken, tall, thin, with long hair and tan skin and don't seem too terribly awkward. I thought I’d at least make it to pref night.

The first round finally came, and I was very excited and not too nervous, to my surprise. I visited all 16 chapter houses in one day. After 18 hours and spending 20 minutes in each house, I was exhausted but thought I presented myself well and was excited to see my schedule for round two. We went back to Norman Hall to preference, which was simply ranking our bottom five houses and listing the other eleven in no specific order, not actually cutting any house. The process took a while (did I mention there were over 1400 girls going through recruitment this year?) but I finally went back home and felt hopeful for the next day.

As I was getting dressed to meet my group for round two, I got a phone call from my Pi Chi. She told me I only had one house that day (the max would have been eight) and would not need to come until the last round of the night. At first I was pretty surprised, then very nervous, but I took the news as well as I could and held my head high that night at the one house, which was rumored to be a top-tier house. I spoke to three girls, all of which had similar interests and career paths as I and I felt pretty good about the house. I even felt like I somehow belonged there.

The next day concluded round two, and I received my schedule from my Pi Chi in person. She handed my a small slip of paper, and the look on her face was one of empathy with a forced smile. I had two houses to visit, which means only three houses out of sixteen gave me an invitation to round two. I was somewhat shocked at first, but the three houses were chapters I greatly admired and could see myself as a sister. I should also mention out of the five houses that I had recs for, only one had called me back for round two. The first house I went to was the house I had the rec for, and I felt comfortable, but didn’t really feel a connection and could sense that neither did the three sisters I spoke to, so I could understand if they dropped me. I went to my last house soon after and felt the same as I did the at the first house of the previous night. I had great conversations with three sisters, one of which rushed as a sophomore as well, and felt hopeful. I left the house with a real smile, and went back to my Pi Chis to preference before going home for the day. Preferencing was similar to round one: we were to rank our bottom three houses and list our favorite four in no order. Since I only had three houses, I simply listed them as my top three and left for the day.

Round three was to start at 9am, and at 7am, just as I was about to take a shower, I received a phone call from my Pi Chi. I was dropped from recruitment. I had no emotion for the next few minutes while on the phone with her. I simply thanked her for her help over the past few days and wished her a great year. She seemed shocked I took the news so well and told me I could give her a call if I needed to talk. After I hung up I just sat in bed for a few minutes, then I suddenly began to cry and sob to myself. Was I not pretty enough? Was I socially awkward? Did someone from my high school in the chapter hate my guts? Was it because I’m a sophomore? Or because I’m just not interesting to talk to? I lay in bed for a while wondering what went wrong. I know, and am trying to accept, I’ll never know why or how the process goes on behind the closed doors of the chapter rooms of each house.

I contacted my Pi Chis, the Recruitment Chair, and Greek affairs about snap bidding and COB, though I have not heard back. I’m hoping maybe one of the houses will reconsider me after bid day (which is tomorrow) if their quota is not met, but I’m not really expecting much. I ran the numbers in my head: 1400 PNMs, with 16 chapters accepting a pledge class of about 60 ladies is 960 bids. About 400 other girls are in the same position as me. I’ve been told to try spring recruitment in January (again), but as a sophomore, I’m wondering if it’s even worth bothering.

Here’s my question to you ladies of GC, what should I do next? I really want to go Greek, but it seems they don't want me.
First, I am very sorry that this happened to you.

Secondly, I would not expect to hear anything about spring recruitment immediately after fall recruitment. The chapters are very busy and won't even know how many open spots they'll have until much closer to spring.

Also, read this thread:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...light=released

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so VERY sorry this happened to you.
As some have said before, the big, competitive schools (like UF) have to make huge cuts based on factors that usually have absolutely nothing to do with your personality.
Maybe they didn't wan't sophomores. Maybe the only asked back women with X number of recs. Maybe they had a GPA cutoff of 3.5.
Who knows the reasons... but do NOT feel like you are the reject. It is the system that is the reject. In an ideal world, strong, smart young women like you would have no problem joining and thriving in ANY sorority at ANY school. But, as you know too well, that is simply not the case right now.

On any campus of any size, there is likely to be a chapter or two COBing to bring up numbers to campus total. Try and make friends in every chapter, and let it be known that you are interested in joining a sorority. Network and get recs for spring rush. But, above all, keep your head up. College is a wonderful experience even you aren't wearing some greek letters across your chest.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

At UF it would be unusual for any of the chapters to be under chapter total following Fall Recruitment. Some may have spots open up for spring.

Titchou got it right. Recs. are a must have at UF. You might also consider joining an org. that you know has a large greek membership. You could meet the sorority women of that org. in a different type of setting, they could get to know you-it could work in your favor.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-23-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 AM

Also, 400 girls would not be released from recruitment. If 400 don't finish the process, it is because they drop out. It sounds like you gave every chapter a chance and you should be commended for that. Please get recs and meet girls in the chapters before spring. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a question about recs at a SEC school (or any school for that matter). Is it considered a recommendation if an alumni sends in a rec but checks the box 'I don't personally know this young woman'? If the rec was written by a writer that doesn't know you isn't it information only?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
I have a question about recs at a SEC school (or any school for that matter). Is it considered a recommendation if an alumni sends in a rec but checks the box 'I don't personally know this young woman'? If the rec was written by a writer that doesn't know you isn't it information only?
Different groups have different ways of handling this. In my own group, it is still considerably better than no rec.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You are a sophomore with less than a 3.5 GPA rushing at an SEC school without recs to all the chapters. You did as best you could given these circumstances and I think you should continue to pursue Greek Life in the spring. Get the recs. Also, get involved on campus this fall! It is a great way to make friends, have fun, develop skills you can use later on in life, and you may even connect with some sorority women! I think you went into recruitment with a good attitude and I hope everything works out!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement!

I'm starting to volunteer with the local animal shelters and other local volunteer work. I'll continue participating as a member of some clubs and maybe try to get involved with Dance Marathon, a huge fundraiser for children's miracle network that all Greeks participate in, as well as non-greeks.

Bid day is in a few hours, and though I'm really disappointed I won't be participating, I'm happy for the girls I met while going through recruitment. By November I'm hoping to know which houses will be going through Spring Recruitment and I will get as many recs as possible for those houses.

Last edited by gatorgeneration; 11-10-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Good to know that you're going to move forward with college and I wish you all the best of luck in the future with recruitment.

Your attitude is good. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and please know that we do wish you the best!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 08-29-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh true, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

So sorry to hear this but your attitude is amazing! Best of luck to you at UF. There is a lot more to get involved with and I'm sure you will love it there.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't give up. Get involved this year in many of the organizations, including any of the publications. For numerous reasons, even those who do get bids - there are always a few that drop out. I would definitely try again in the spring. My daughter who had no Greek affiliations rushed last year as a freshman and has now experienced recruitment from the other side. She did mention there seemed to be a lot of sophmores rushing and some of that may be because of deferred entrance that has been trending up.

Keep trying. There are so many activities at UF to choose and in January can investigate options for spring recruitment. There is also nothing wrong with asking your Pi Chi for future advice.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Bluepink had great advice about asking your Pi Chi's for future advice. I was in a similar situation in college (had to drop recruitment the first time for a family emergency, was dropped the second time as a junior). I went to a smaller Big East school though that only had 450-475 women in recruitment each time for 7 sororities. My Pi Chi's suggested that I get involved with other organizations on campus and one of them even helped me do it. I am still friends with two of them now on Facebook, even though we live far apart from each other.

By the way, I know that being released sucks, especially after you secured recs and put work into it. My mom came up the weekend that I was released as junior to make me smile and laugh (by the way, I was released 2 hours before Bid Day). She had just left the weekend before and probably didn't think she would be back that quick. I was sad for a few days, but then I picked myself back up. I met quite a few people from the sorority that I was interested in that year and they told me that a big part of me not getting a bid wasn't because they didn't click with me, it was because I was a junior. When I reminded them that their letters were for life, they all realized just how wrong the "year in school" thinking was.

As an alumnae now, I look back and think that there might have been a reason why I was not extended a bid and that it wasn't meant to be at that time. I am not even going to pretend to understand the whole process.