GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,557
1 members and 1,556 guests
navane

Old 05-08-2006, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman
I think it's so ironic the reactionary stnce taken by some people concerning the PIKES coming to Howard, and the sense in which BGLO traditions are embattled. How ironic since, at one time, African American youth, chose the Greek-letter model as the means by which they woulld soldify their vision and provide an avenue of perpetuating organizations that would be profitable for African Americans. They had no qualms about copying the extant models of white Greek-letter groups, to be used for their purposes. (According to Alpha historians, white Greeks even gave some of their founders their rituals in helping them accomplish this task.) And, likewise, these older groups drew upon the legacy of college literary or debating societies and other similar groups, which can be traced to certain practices of the medieval guilds of scholars. There is enough history, in turn, for everybody to "hate" on others for being copy cats or shameless imitators. Everybody has added something to the mix, and it's really funny that anyone would "hate" on others for doing this as long as the traditions are respected and everyone is given there due respect.

And, however uncomfortable it may be to some of us, non of us can rest on out laurels organizationally. For African Americans, the promise of desegregation is a two-way street: we have more opportunities in the larger society, and we also are open to the influences of groups from the larger society, even in our institutions of higher education. This is the price we pay for our vaunted "freedom." Thus, as the history of Greek-letter organizations has shown, people will use this model to accomplish whatever goals they see fit, wherever they see themselves being shut out or marginalized, or whatever. In Greekdom this has gone from issues of class/station in life to religion( Jew-Gentile) to race(exclusion of African Americans) to other identity groups of late and to issues of sexual orientation. This trend in Greek transmogrification continues, as it has since 1776 and the emergence of Phi Beta Kappa, which the founders of the Kappa Alpha Society in 1825 (the first social GLO of continuing influence) based their fraternity on, and were soon followed by Sigma Phi and Delta Phi there at Union College in response to KA Society.

(And on the Tri Delt rumor, I once had two coworkers, one an AKA(made at Howard) and a Delta (made at Hampton), rave about Delta Delta Delta as the "bomb." They agreed that it was the only non NPHC women's group that mattered. Funny!)
I just wanted that reposted for those that missed it. I think it's a terrific post that needs some "snaps." I couldn't agree more with what it says...well 'cept for the Tri-Delt being the only one that mattered.

Our rituals, methods, and procedures make us different, but we were all (black glos, white glos, purple glos, green glos, etc.) were founded with similar missions (to further ourselves and society through helping each other and our community). Remember these missions as the argument continues.

Last edited by WhiteDaisy128; 05-08-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Well stated and I completely agree!

And besides, them trying to 'stroll' is not that deep. We have bigger fish to fry---like taking care of our OWN!
enigma_AKA

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman
I think it's so ironic the reactionary stnce taken by some people concerning the PIKES coming to Howard, and the sense in which BGLO traditions are embattled. How ironic since, at one time, African American youth, chose the Greek-letter model as the means by which they woulld soldify their vision and provide an avenue of perpetuating organizations that would be profitable for African Americans. They had no qualms about copying the extant models of white Greek-letter groups, to be used for their purposes. (According to Alpha historians, white Greeks even gave some of their founders their rituals in helping them accomplish this task.) And, likewise, these older groups drew upon the legacy of college literary or debating societies and other similar groups, which can be traced to certain practices of the medieval guilds of scholars. There is enough history, in turn, for everybody to "hate" on others for being copy cats or shameless imitators. Everybody has added something to the mix, and it's really funny that anyone would "hate" on others for doing this as long as the traditions are respected and everyone is given there due respect.

And, however uncomfortable it may be to some of us, non of us can rest on out laurels organizationally. For African Americans, the promise of desegregation is a two-way street: we have more opportunities in the larger society, and we also are open to the influences of groups from the larger society, even in our institutions of higher education. This is the price we pay for our vaunted "freedom." Thus, as the history of Greek-letter organizations has shown, people will use this model to accomplish whatever goals they see fit, wherever they see themselves being shut out or marginalized, or whatever. In Greekdom this has gone from issues of class/station in life to religion( Jew-Gentile) to race(exclusion of African Americans) to other identity groups of late and to issues of sexual orientation. This trend in Greek transmogrification continues, as it has since 1776 and the emergence of Phi Beta Kappa, which the founders of the Kappa Alpha Society in 1825 (the first social GLO of continuing influence) based their fraternity on, and were soon followed by Sigma Phi and Delta Phi there at Union College in response to KA Society.

(And on the Tri Delt rumor, I once had two coworkers, one an AKA(made at Howard) and a Delta (made at Hampton), rave about Delta Delta Delta as the "bomb." They agreed that it was the only non NPHC women's group that mattered. Funny!)
Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

What are you people talking about when you say strolling??? is it like the r crumb cartoon?

-Rudey
Old 05-08-2006, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
What are you people talking about when you say strolling??? is it like the r crumb cartoon?

-Rudey
Since you've commented on this twice.....

Strolling (party walking, party hopping) is dancing/stepping in a line. NPHC organizations do it at parties, coming out shows, etc. Non-NPHC organizations have been known to do so as well.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
^^^ What an idiot.

ETA: You throw the "racist" and "racism" word around like it's going out of style. Any mention and discussion of race does not equate to "racism" or make someone a "racist." You're old enough to have done a great deal of observing your social world and reading up on such matters. If you were a racial or ethnic minority, the "oh no, here's the race card" crew would be all over you.

Oh, so age means nothing to You for Knowledge?

You seem to show no knowledge at all but try to be so impervisious to anything that does not agree with Your Dogma.

All You seem to do is stir up the cauldron and make no actual ral posts but???!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-08-2006, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by enigma_AKA
And besides, them trying to 'stroll' is not that deep.
I don't recall anyone saying it was "that deep" nor anyone saying that they were going to stop tending to their own just because there are PIKEs at Howard.

People--those with some sense--are just pointing to some comical contradictions that they are finding. Once the novelty of the PIKEs wears out (since no one really cared that LXA came to NC A&T) people will go back to worrying about the important things...like which NPHC sororities have huge lines or why the Girl Scout step team won the last stepshow.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Oh, so age means nothing to You for Knowledge?

You seem to show no knowledge at all but try to be so impervisious to anything that does not agree with Your Dogma.

All You seem to do is stir up the cauldron and make no actual ral posts but???!
Where's the confusion in what I posted? Those who got it, got it.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jessikay1922
Since you've commented on this twice.....

Strolling (party walking, party hopping) is dancing/stepping in a line. NPHC organizations do it at parties, coming out shows, etc. Non-NPHC organizations have been known to do so as well.
So before you go to a party, you plan this thing and let's say you and all your dudes are talking to girls, you just look at each other at 11:43PM on the dot and are like "It's time for the moves" and bust out a dance routine right there?

-Rudey
Old 05-08-2006, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So before you go to a party, you plan this thing and let's say you and all your dudes are talking to girls, you just look at each other at 11:43PM on the dot and are like "It's time for the moves" and bust out a dance routine right there?

-Rudey
Not quite Rudey. Just like particular songs may draw more people to the dance floor, some songs draw the sororities and fraternities to stroll or party walk. It is rather spontaneous, but various routines are already known, just like other line dances are already known--think the hustle, or the electric slide, or what ever the name of that country western line dance.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 05-08-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

-Rudey
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAHHHHHAGAHAHAHAHAHAH

Party hopping/strolling is NOT akin to a musical, i.e. Grease.

Rudey, imagine you are at a party thrown by a NPHC org. You are on the dance floor dancing with your date but on the perimeter of the dance floor, you see the Deltas, Omegas, Alphas, Zetas, etc in their own organizational lines doing their own dance (of sorts) in a line around a circle.

Go to a party Rudey thrown by the Deltas, Omegas, Alphas, AKAs, Zetas, Kappas, Sigmas, Sigma Gamma Rhos, or Iotas and observe.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
.... what ever the name of that country western line dance.
Boot Scootin Boogie!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

-Rudey
Just watch yourself if you EVER go to a Que party and "Atomic Dog" gets played...

You may get hurt for real if you're on the dance floor...

They some party hoppin' fools when that Atomic Dog gets played... And I mean that in a cool way...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
Just watch yourself if you EVER go to a Que party and "Atomic Dog" gets played...

You may get hurt for real if you're on the dance floor...

They some party hoppin' fools when that Atomic Dog gets played... And I mean that in a cool way...
You ain't never lied. The energy they give off collectively when that song is played would be enough to power a small hamlet, lol.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wolfman makes good points, as usual.

We're all Greek organizations.
We all come from the same traditions.
We all profess to serve the community

The differences:
WGLOs were not created to specifically focus on one ethnic/racial community
BGLOs/LGLOs/AGLOs were all created to address the needs of one specific community in the great context of a predominantly white society
At most campuses (except HBCUs, HSIs, and some Cali schools that have huge Asian populations), People of Color are the numerial and often social minority on campus
Therefore when you combine focus on a specific community with less numbers, you have the perceptions from WGLOs that "Minority Greeks only chill amongst themselves" and the preception among BGLOs/LGLOs/AGLOs that WGLOs are only about about partying, and don't carry the bonds past undergrad

However, if you take that in the greater context of a predominantly white society, it's easy to see who gets the short end of the stick in terms of stereotypes...obviously the people that there are less of.

As for me, what matters to me in a chapter, regardless of what type of school they are at, is how they serve the community and how they espouse their brotherhood/sisterhood. If Pikes aren't doing anything for the community at Howard, or are just boozing, then that's a problem. But it'd be a problem if it was at Columbia as well.

If the AKAs at Howard weren't doing anything and just boozing (note: I am NOT espousing this view, I am just using an example) and not doing anything for the community, it'd be a problem. If the AKAs at Columbia weren't doing anything and just boozing, that'd be a problem too.

What matters is how you carry out the mission of your organization to its fullest(that your founders established...they weren't thinking about a lot of the BS we are thinking about btw) and that you have that sense of sisterhood or brotherhood. Everything else develops over time.

Cases in point:
Calls
Handsigns
Stepping
Strolling
The crazy amount of stuff people put on their para these days (myself included! )

They all didn't exist initially in Black Greek Life (although you could make an argument for stepping...but it wasn't as prominent early on as it is now)

Times change, people change, traditions change. The only thing that stays constant is the mission of the organization and the sisterhood or brotherhood.

Just because someone creates something doesn't mean it's just theirs. If that was so, we would still be living in the Stone Age. However, when you mimick or modify other people's traditions, you SHOULD give them respect and understand what you are doing, and how it originated, regardless of what ethnicity you are.

Pz
Nate
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Old 05-08-2006, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
You ain't never lied. The energy they give off collectively when that song is played would be enough to power a small hamlet, lol.
And they have the hop show for the ENTIRE SONG!!! EXTENDED CUT!!!

I was like DAYUM!!! They were some jumpin' fools at a party my chapter just threw--and this is GRAD CHAPTER!!! ...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana