GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,312
2 members and 2,310 guests
flirt5721

Old 12-13-2005, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation "Boondocks" T.V. Show -Self Critical or Self-Hatred?

After watching the Boondocks TV show on Comedy Central, and talking to some of my friends, I get a split of 50-50 on whether or not Aaron McGruder is airing dirty laundry or actually dissing black folks with the show. Some people comment that he is presenting a harsh reality and frustration with the black community for not accepting responsibility and progressing more as a people (i.e. the justified use of the N-word, the embracing of R. Kelly and fake thug rappers). Others seem to think that he focuses too much on the ills of the black community and not enough political critique is coming from the Huey character (some say that the Huey character in the strip is more critical of the white establishment while the character in the show is more frustrated with black folks).

Questions-

How can someone be critical of contemporay black culture and still be apologetic of it (Huey says at the end of one episode- "They are still black folks, you have to love them regardless")?

When does the use of the N-word become excessive (I think that I can get his point about it without it being used so much)?

What should be the goal of art and media when black folks have the opportunity to express themselves through them? Should we try to "keep it real" by showing the least common denominator of our culture (what I consider the exploited stereotypical imagery) or should we highlight the complexity and diversity (though less apparent) of our community?

Do you think that we should just laugh at the Boondocks or leave motivated to change what we see in certain elements of our community?

Blackwatch!!!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Sad to say, I've only watched this (the episode where gramps had that girlfriend who was a ho/Mariah Carey look-a-like). I did think there was an excessive use of the N-word, but no more than on your average rap song.

Anyway, I should probably watch more episodes before commenting further, so I'll bow out here.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: "Boondocks" T.V. Show -Self Critical or Self-Hatred?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Cushite
After watching the Boondocks TV show on Comedy Central, and talking to some of my friends, I get a split of 50-50 on whether or not Aaron McGruder is airing dirty laundry or actually dissing black folks with the show. Some people comment that he is presenting a harsh reality and frustration with the black community for not accepting responsibility and progressing more as a people (i.e. the justified use of the N-word, the embracing of R. Kelly and fake thug rappers). Others seem to think that he focuses too much on the ills of the black community and not enough political critique is coming from the Huey character (some say that the Huey character in the strip is more critical of the white establishment while the character in the show is more frustrated with black folks).
I believe he is completely frustrated with aspects of the black community, and that feeling is shared by many. As for his focus, the show is still brand new. I would like to see a few more episodes before making the call. It is refreshing to see someone who isn't spending all his time blaming someone else for our problems.

Quote:

Questions-

How can someone be critical of contemporay black culture and still be apologetic of it (Huey says at the end of one episode- "They are still black folks, you have to love them regardless")?
Well, you can love your family and still be critical of the behavior of certain members.

Quote:
When does the use of the N-word become excessive (I think that I can get his point about it without it being used so much)?
When it is no longer used as frequently in real life as it is in the show. Interestingly, he often uses the word in a derogatory fashion, unlike rap stars and others who have attempted to give it a positive spin.

Quote:
What should be the goal of art and media when black folks have the opportunity to express themselves through them? Should we try to "keep it real" by showing the least common denominator of our culture (what I consider the exploited stereotypical imagery) or should we highlight the complexity and diversity (though less apparent) of our community?
I think being critical of the least "common denominator of our culture" is a positive goal. Honestly, the child has uttered words straight out of my mouth. That said, I completely understand where you are coming from. The problem is that SOMEONE has to call foolishness what it is - foolishness. Otherwise, all the positive, complex, and diverse images in the world aren't going to impact someone who thinks what foolishness he does is okay, because he doesn't have it like the Cosbys.

Quote:
Do you think that we should just laugh at the Boondocks or leave motivated to change what we see in certain elements of our community?
I think we should leave motivated. The issues he raises are no laughing matter.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have much time for tv, but I would be interested in watching a couple of episodes. When is it usually aired?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

http://boondockstv.com/

Sundays at 11pm ET/PT
Old 12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband usually reads the comic strip in the paper, whereas, I have only seen ~3 episodes of the cartoon.

From what I know about television, there was some "selling out" that MacGruder had to do to get his celluoids on TV. And if that meant excessive use of the N-word in the cartoon, then hey, that meant excessive use of the word.

In my area it is played on Cartoon Network, during "Adult Swim".

And before the show airs, there is a disclaimer that all he's doing is just a satirical commentary of how he views life.

The fact that he has some big name actors and actresses doing some the character's voices, shows that there is interest. I also think he shows outline's how ignorant stereotyping is with the interaction of other ethnic groups. Especially with the little girl that hangs out with Huey.

And how they have filmed the show suggests some digital arts were in play because animation is very computer intensive these days. The better animation is done by computer, the higher rating the show gets. Most of his artists were Korean that did the mock-ups before the animation layouts. That just means that the movement and what is "scriptable" during a <15 cartoon is manifested by another ethnic group's cultural dictates.

Really, how many Koreans really know what it is like being Black in America or vice versa? But MacGruder had to work with what was available and allowable for his "pilot season".

The following next season may be different.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-28-2005, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen a couple of episodes, and I personally love the show. The satire in it is one of the things that makes it so great to me. I like that he addresses certain problems we as a race have head on. I do wish african americans could avoid using the n-word.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I draw a paralell to the Roseanne show. Both show a side of life that isn't always shown, and that reality is something that a lot of people don't want to see or talk about. A good show makes you laugh and makes you think. Both these shows do that.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MissMonika
I don't Care for it. I saw 3 episodes to make sure because I love the strip.

It didn't measure up at all, in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know.

But, I wonder why most of the main characters are so light-skinned.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: "Boondocks" T.V. Show -Self Critical or Self-Hatred?

having watch a few episodes and read the comic strip since its inception at univ. of md, i think i have formed a thorough opinion. with that,

i think the show is funny and well written. often times it is excessive ie, the use of the 'n' word. but you know, this is not an uncommon occurrence. the fact is many of use the term and ad nauseum. i took it as mcgruder putting a mirror up to our faces to say, "enough already". personally, i am able to see the show past this issue, but i understand fully why people who are uncomfortable with the word may have a problem with the show.

having watched the 'gangstalicious and r kelly episode' i really think this was mcgruder's way to point a finger at all of us who support someone like r kelly. to me the episode showed the ignorance that alot of us have as well as the parallel arguments that can and have come up.

this show is a comic strip. there is politics and truth to what is being said but at the end of the day the show is meant to make you laugh and make you think. i have felt the same with his comic strip. somedays, it got me through the plantation that was my alma mater. otherdays, it gave me moments to think about my opinions on certain issues.

after laughing or being thoroughly annoyed, when appropriate there should be some discussion on what macgruder is 'saying' to us because his ideas on what he perceives black people as is quite telling.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Cushite

Questions-

Blackwatch!!!!!!