GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,527
1 members and 2,526 guests
John

Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL. I read AOIIs facts. Coke's colors are NOT red and white because the founder of Coke's wife was an AOII. The closest fact to this story is that the daughter of the first bottler of coke was an AOII. There is still no evidence to show that Coca-Cola chose red and white because of that. Heather Whitestone is not an AOII either. She pledged AOII but never initiated. I wonder if any alumnae checked this thing before it went to print?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Oh dear. A lot of the sororities' facts are wrong--their nationals would die.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Loved the pin left on the moon "fact"
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom85 View Post
Thank you all for your support. This is so hard! I think she is amazing, but so do about 1300 other mothers, LOL.

Just got a text from A saying "I just have that feeling that "Emerald" is my home". I have preached until I'm blue in face...but she has already found a favorite. Good thoughts would be appreciated!!

I thought some might enjoy the handbook they gave out. It has some great info!

http://issuu.com/auburnpanhellenic/d...k2011?mode=a_p
AuburnMom85, your daughter is in my thoughts and prayers, although, I don't think there is much to be nervous about. The people at AU are so incredibly warm and welcoming and she will fit in wherever she is fortunate enough to receive a bid from. Coming to Auburn for Orientation as an oos student for the first time ever, I was completely blown away by how genuine and welcoming everyone was. It didn't matter to the people that were in my group and who I met that I was a "yankee", once you are apart of what I believe is the greatest university in the entire country, the phrase "Auburn Family" holds true. The same goes for the fraternity thet I pledged over the summer, as well as the others I was fortunate to receive a bid from. And that is what makes AU such a loveable place. Sorry for my rambling, lol, but it is such a great place and the people there, male and female, are beautiful inside and out. I'm very anxious to see how this process continues to go for your daughter, and when the school year is well underway, I'd love to know, with your permission (via pm or what have you) where she ends up, as my fraternity could possibly have had a formal or a "date night" type thing with your daughter's sorority. God Bless and War Eagle
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
LOL. I read AOIIs facts. Coke's colors are NOT red and white because the founder of Coke's wife was an AOII. The closest fact to this story is that the daughter of the first bottler of coke was an AOII. There is still no evidence to show that Coca-Cola chose red and white because of that. Heather Whitestone is not an AOII either. She pledged AOII but never initiated. I wonder if any alumnae checked this thing before it went to print?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Funny! I was just going to look for the myths thread to post the link to this booklet. I can't believe how many groups have incorrect "Fun Facts." Maybe we should email our myth thread to the Greek LIfe office!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

mom, hopefully she will land in emerald. it is amazing how "emerald" can be a favorite one day, and cause all sorts of confusion the next and then diamond, pearl, jade or turquoise can take top billing.

if it doesn't work that she returns to emerald, she just needs to look at the sororities that did invite her back and pick a new favorite(wisdom of 33girl). they are all good groups at auburn and she really can't make a bad choice.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
I look at that pamphlet and all of those amazingly beautiful and poised ladies and it just blows my mind that PNMs can not look and see just how every sorority has opportunity for them, let alone any of them being labeled as "superficially" lower tier.

Also, in keeping with the incorrect facts, I had always thought/been told that Vera Bradley was not a Kappa Delta although I believe one people involved with starting up the company is.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM
NUKaydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMafia View Post
I look at that pamphlet and all of those amazingly beautiful and poised ladies and it just blows my mind that PNMs can not look and see just how every sorority has opportunity for them, let alone any of them being labeled as "superficially" lower tier.

Also, in keeping with the incorrect facts, I had always thought/been told that Vera Bradley was not a Kappa Delta although I believe one people involved with starting up the company is.
The Co-Owner/President of Vera Bradley (Patricia Polito Miller) is a KD.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMafia View Post

Patricia Polito Miller, co-founder of Vera Bradley, is a Kappa Delta initiated at U of Indiana. I know this is 100% true :O)

ETA: Vera Bradley is not an actual woman. There were two founders, the other is Barbara Bradley Baekgaard
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoops! Maybe I shouldn't have posted the link to that handbook. I didn't realize it had so many wrong "facts". I just enjoyed looking at the different pages, and thought the advice to the PNM was dead on. You can tell, though, that Auburn is full of beautiful and talented Greek women, and I'm so excited that my daughter will (hopefully) be a part of that.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom85 View Post
Whoops! Maybe I shouldn't have posted the link to that handbook. I didn't realize it had so many wrong "facts". I just enjoyed looking at the different pages, and thought the advice to the PNM was dead on. You can tell, though, that Auburn is full of beautiful and talented Greek women, and I'm so excited that my daughter will (hopefully) be a part of that.
No it was good to post. There IS a ton of very accurate and helpful information inside. It is just interesting that when clearly so much work went into creating such a booklet that they were so slack with checking facts. Overall the booklet is excellent.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yikes! The booklet may have some good advice for PNMs but it's an absolute disaster when it comes to NPC facts as well as spelling and punctuation. It's really embarrassing.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Good to keep in mind how impressions of groups can change over the week. A friend's daughter went through last year, and first two rounds she had her heart set on a certain house. By third round she had completely changed her mind and ended up pledging somewhere else - now she can't recall what appealed to her so much about the group she liked at first. I can't imagine how girls can sort out and remember what they liked best each day.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

i would wager that the chapters designed their own pages and submitted their fun facts to panhellenic. i have seen too many fun facts on too many sorority websites to blame panhellenic.

but whoever didn't proof their facts, punctuation, and spelling-a pox on thee!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Apparently some of those chapters also forgot to check the submitted pictures for pi chis. A few of them have pi chis on their sorority's page. Whoops!