GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,287
1 members and 1,286 guests
No Members online

Old 10-14-2006, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Changing Frats

I have a dilemma. I am in a fraternity already but i plan on transferring to a university that does not have my fraternity. is it possible to pledge another frat, or would i have to be frat-less for my remaining college years?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Are you initiated?

If so, most organizations forbid handing out bids to people already initiated with other groups. You might contact your HQ and find out what is involved in starting an interest group on your campus.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-14-2006, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah im already initiated
Old 10-14-2006, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

We've had this question before. Yes, it's against the rules. But if you keep your mouth shut you can probably pull it off. If you ask, the answer will be no. Don't ask, don't tell.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Firehouse, I think it does depend on some factors.

If he's been initiated into a LGLO, MCGLO, or something to that effect, I think an NIC organization still might be able to take him.

Does anyone know for sure about that? I've wondered about this myself. The question doesn't really come up often 'round these parts.

But surf -- generally, if you're wanting to slide from one NIC organization to another, you are going to be dishonoring your original organization as well as telling lies to your new organization. I wouldn't call something like that a very high-character move on your part under those circumstances.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Firehouse, I think it does depend on some factors.

If he's been initiated into a LGLO, MCGLO, or something to that effect, I think an NIC organization still might be able to take him.

Does anyone know for sure about that? I've wondered about this myself. The question doesn't really come up often 'round these parts.
My understanding is that IFC/NIC fraternities do not initiate members from other inter/national council or conference (including other NIC/IFC) fraternities unless the man terminated - and was granted a release from IHQ - his membership. And to be clear, this does not mean that an IFC/NIC fraternity may even consider a previously initiated men for membership. Some may, others may not.

Now if the fraternity was "local", then perhaps the fraternity might. Again, it would depend on the specific fraternities in question.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

If a person is Initiated in a NIC GLO, they normaly cannot pledge another GLO just because there is no chapter there.

But, it seems that I saw where someone did on site. If it is possible, I think you would have to be released from previous NIC GLO.

But as Kevin said, why give up something that you thought enough to join in the first place?

Why not try to open a chapter at the new school instead?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My understanding - and I could be wrong because this is old information - is that Theta Chi is the only fraternity with policies that allow initiation of other NIC members. I assume that prior resignation is a requirement.

I have seen transfers from one school to a distant school join a new fraternity, sometimes after finding that his chapter on that campus is not to his liking. I don't really have a problem with it as long as everyone exercises the courtesy of keeping his mouth shut.

The general rule, I think, is: "a general, national, secret, social college fraternity." That would seem to eliminate the restricted fratrenities like HBglos and mcglas. They are "restricted" in the sense that ther are specialized.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GVSU_SigPi_Gea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
We've had this question before. Yes, it's against the rules. But if you keep your mouth shut you can probably pull it off. If you ask, the answer will be no. Don't ask, don't tell.

haha. you cant be serious about this...thats violating your creed, your sacred oath, and pretty much everything you stand for. sorry to get all uppedy about this but...thats an oath you take, sacred and inviolate.

...or maybe im just overly passionate about my oath...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't intend to open a can of worms.
My loyalty to my Fraternity is complete and life-long. I want the best for the organization, and I will never reveal any of the secrets. But I suppose we all make decisions about what's important vs. what is not.
I've never felt that our Fraternity constitution is meant to be a suicide pact. You do what you need to do to create the dominant fraternity, the one that attracts the most dynamic and ambitious men.

Do you ever have parties at your Fraternity where underage men drink alcohol? Well, then you have made one of those decisions about what's important and what is relatively unimportant.

I would never advocate going out to solicit other fraternities' members for our own Fraternity. But, when I was an undergraduate, once or twice a Brother would bring a friend to us who had transfered from another school where he had the misfortune to be initiated into another fraternity. Either they had no chapter on our campus, or their chapter at FSU was not competitive or maybe was incompatible with our friend. No one told the Chapter; no one said a word. The man went through pledgeship and initiation and became one of us and has remained so for life.

I feel I know what's important to me about my Fraternity. I don't begrudge you your thoughts and I have no judgement to render. We all do what we do.

By the way, Sigma Pi is re-colonizing here. they made a great presentation to IFC. Solid Sigma Pi alumni in the area will ensure success.

Last edited by Firehouse; 10-18-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah im in a national fraternity, but i honestly dont have enough free time to start my own chapter and get everything organized. i'll just have to live without being in a fraternity

Last edited by Surf_Bum; 10-19-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Check out and see if there is a local alumni chapter for your fraternity. You can stay in touch with your brotherhood that way and there may be other alumni on campus that could assist with starting a colony (if there is a need).

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Check out and see if there is a local alumni chapter for your fraternity. You can stay in touch with your brotherhood that way and there may be other alumni on campus that could assist with starting a colony (if there is a need).

You are absolutly correct about checking in Alumni in the area. Also checking with Your National and feeling them out might be a good idea.

Example:

A LXA transfered to Un. Wy. from Fl. Tech and wore his letters on campus.

Some students saw them and asked him what they were.

From there it grew and is now a full chapter of LXA.

I still would not feel comfortable about joining another organization just because they are not there.

I think we all promote for life now when we are Initiated.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I know for Kappa Sigma at least, if you've been initiated (ie became a full brother) of another fraternity, we cant take you. We picked up a couple people who had stopped rushing various other fraternities on our campus for various reasons, but we had to turn down one guy who wanted to remove himself from his fraternity to join ours (yeah, we're that good).

But I defiantly agree with the comments that's been said. See what you can do to start a chapter at your new school. Its a great chance to expand your experiences and do something new. I'm currently working on establishing the Kappa Sigma fraternity here on campus and it has been proving a great leadership experience and a great way to get to know my pledge class & as an added benefit, there's no established traditions, so you basically your starting from scratch, and get to build it the way you want it to be.

If your school has other schools near by that have chapters of your fraternity, you might be able to join with them as an honorary member or something to that effect. I'm not too sure how that would work though, if at all.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I've always heard TKE was pretty liberal in their policies regarding the foundation of new chapters and people they allowed to be founders. You might want to look into TKE.