GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 847
2 members and 845 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 03-02-2001, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Brothel Laws

Has anyone ever found actual brothel laws in print?? I have been doing a little investigating and I have not come up with anything.

So are brothel laws forbidding more than a certain number or women living together a myth or the truth?

Not to bash fraternities...why is a group of girls living together worse than a bunch of guys living together??

Just had to throw this in. What's the difference between a sorority house and a brothel? A brothel makes money. I just thought that I would throw a little joke in there that I found when I was doing some research.

[This message has been edited by AOX81 (edited March 02, 2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
do a search on Nevada State Laws. I bet there is something there. Its leagal in some counties, not in others.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:32 PM

Lightbulb

For the longest time, this rumour has prevailed on the University of British Columbia campus and they said that that was why sororities are unhoused, (instead each had a meeting room (Panhellenic House is being rebuilt as we speak)).

I have yet to come across anything in print that says, "x no. of women living together is a brothel". At UBC, the cap was 40 women, but *my* reasoning that is more because of Fire Code Regulations...any more than 40 women in a room, and it could be difficult to evacuate in a timely manner, should a fire break out.

You might be able to find out for sure, by contacting your city's archivist or something like that.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding Fire Code Regulations, a sorority house would have to be just like a fraternity house...it would have to have evacuation routes and other regulations pertaining to fires posted in every room.

I have actually been in a fraternity house when a fire broke out at 6:00am...and everybody got out fine and without panic.
Old 03-03-2001, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I think theres a lot of truth to what brookinleu says. I was told at my school, George Mason University(About 20 years old), Fairfax, Virginia that there are brothel laws in the county. Supposedly they pertain to either men or women. I think it has to do with a larger issue. At my school the community makes the school. If that makes sense. The school isnt willing to front the property for the Fraternities or Sororities. Plus I believe that many of the nationals wont supplement any financial support. At least my Fraternity didnt. Of course Virginia Tech, for example is totally different and they have the ideal environment where the school makes the community. If there was no Virginia Tech there wouldnt be a Blacksburg. I think it boils down to how supportive each of the communities(campus and local community are to the idea). Plus money helps

Kevin
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu

Old 03-03-2001, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

See what I heard about the dorm thing is that dorms are kind of like apartments. As long as they have room numbers on them and all of the small groups of girls have separate living quarters it is ok.

Has anybody heard about this?
Old 03-03-2001, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
interesting. at my sorority house we had room numbers...
Old 03-05-2001, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

This is probably one of the best urban myths out there...I think every school out there without sorority houses has this rumor floating around. I once heard a campus tour guide for my campus spouting this myth to visiting students and parents, so it's not wonder it continues. For my campus, the sororities are housed in a residence hall mainly because of the money factor...most sororities did not have the financial ability to establish houses when they were founded. Plus, isn't there a NPC rule about equal resources for all sororities? If one sorority has a house, than all the sororities have to have the opportunity to have a house?
Old 03-05-2001, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm almost positive this is not an urban myth. I'm looking for the info on it right now, for Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000:
For the longest time, this rumour has prevailed on the University of British Columbia campus and they said that that was why sororities are unhoused, (instead each had a meeting room (Panhellenic House is being rebuilt as we speak)).

I have yet to come across anything in print that says, "x no. of women living together is a brothel". At UBC, the cap was 40 women, but *my* reasoning that is more because of Fire Code Regulations...any more than 40 women in a room, and it could be difficult to evacuate in a timely manner, should a fire break out.

You might be able to find out for sure, by contacting your city's archivist or something like that.

UBC used to have the brothel rule back in the 40's and 50's, but was eventually over ruled. Thing is that land at UBC is soooo expensive that none of the sororities are in a position to build houses now.

Can't wait for the Greek Village - it was suppossed to be finished last year....

------------------
Delta Phi Epsilon
Delta Gamma Chapter
University of British Columbia
Sigma 1996
Old 03-09-2001, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

There ARE brothel laws in place in some cities. The one that I know of for sure is Richmond, Kentucky. Sororities at Eastern Kentucky University can not have sorority houses due to the brothel law of that town. (Prohibits more than a certain number - maybe 5?- of UNRELATED women from living together.)

Dormitories are exceptions - not sure how, since it's not my university - so there are sorority dorms instead. (I have friends who go to school there.)
Old 03-09-2001, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Of all the subjects that requests have been made to close, I would have thought that this one would have been-at the very first. Given all the comments about sohorities or whatever-I'm surprised that anyone even answered this thread! It made for interesting reading though. I never would have believed that these kinds of laws existed, because they ought to be illegal in this day in time.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:20 PM
Banned

Red face

And they don't consider fraternities as ho' houses!
Old 06-07-2001, 09:14 PM
UMgirl

Hey guys, I can tell you for a fact that Brothel laws still exist. I am in Alpha Gamma Delta and another AGD chapter thats only about an hour away in Detroit cannot do not have a house because of it. No sorority can have one because Detroit zoning law states that any house with more than 5 (I think its somewhere between 5-10)girls in it is considered a brothel or house of prostitution. They cannot have a "house", so they have like 4 girls living in one place and its an official "meeting place".
Old 06-07-2001, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

The city of Providence has a brothel law. The only reason we're allowed to have a house is because we're on a campus--one of the law's exceptions.