GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,416
2 members and 1,414 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

CSUN bans all fraternity/sorority recruitment activities

A 2nd CSUN fraternity is being investigated for hazing, following the death of a Pi Kappa Phi pledge this summer. Cal State Northridge has banned all 54 fraternities & sororities from recruiting, but allowing them to initiate fall new members.

http://abc7.com/news/csun-pledge-act...ations/364469/

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/...zing-incident/

http://laist.com/2014/10/24/csun_shu...dge_activi.php
Old 10-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

1 organization hazes, so let's punish them all?

Seems rational.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-26-2014, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

^
Old 10-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Reactions like that are why I'm more and more an advocate for Greek organizations to formally separate themselves from universities which respond to crises with the "burn them all and let God sort them out" tactic. I'll bet if NPC and NIC did that at just one school, it'd send a message to school administrators that they either need to play ball and let us take care of things internally (we are usually harder on our own members than the school ever is) or we are fully capable of ignoring these schools' supposed authority.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You first.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Sigma Nu has done exactly that with chapters we felt were being unjustly prosecuted by the University. In all cases, the school eventually folded and the chapter returned to the fold. Where we have real RM issues, HQ does not hesitate to act appropriately.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I advise my sorority's chapter at CSUN and thus have been closely involved with this issue.

Recruitment (with the exception of perhaps a couple of chapters participating in COB) has largely ended for the semester. What was actually communicated is that all pledging/pledge education/membership intake activities were to cease and desist. Chapters were given the option to initiate their pledges/new members immediately or not at all--in the latter case hoping, I suppose, that the never-initiated pledges would return in a future recruitment? It seems like most chapters would probably choose to initiate sooner rather than lose their newest members.

Recruitment for the spring semester has not yet been canceled, but the official statement said that it would be unlikely. I think this is a real blow for the smaller organizations (especially those chapters that are senior-heavy) that rely on 2 recruitment periods per year to grow their membership.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Reactions like that are why I'm more and more an advocate for Greek organizations to formally separate themselves from universities which respond to crises with the "burn them all and let God sort them out" tactic. I'll bet if NPC and NIC did that at just one school, it'd send a message to school administrators that they either need to play ball and let us take care of things internally (we are usually harder on our own members than the school ever is) or we are fully capable of ignoring these schools' supposed authority.
Isn't this exactly what happened at Santa Clara?
Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 View Post
I advise my sorority's chapter at CSUN and thus have been closely involved with this issue.

Recruitment (with the exception of perhaps a couple of chapters participating in COB) has largely ended for the semester. What was actually communicated is that all pledging/pledge education/membership intake activities were to cease and desist. Chapters were given the option to initiate their pledges/new members immediately or not at all--in the latter case hoping, I suppose, that the never-initiated pledges would return in a future recruitment? It seems like most chapters would probably choose to initiate sooner rather than lose their newest members.

Recruitment for the spring semester has not yet been canceled, but the official statement said that it would be unlikely. I think this is a real blow for the smaller organizations (especially those chapters that are senior-heavy) that rely on 2 recruitment periods per year to grow their membership.
Thanks for the additional info. The reports on the news have said no pledging activities and I've been wondering to what extent. Like could a chapter still have separate new member meetings or would the NMs only be allowed to go to regular chapter meetings. With your info, seems like the NMs get initiated ASAP.

CSUNs on semesters, right? Wouldn't they be close to initiation time anyhow? If Chi O was on campus, I could see this being a big problem since they are the only ones who still hold over NMs for grade reports.

I find it naïve of the school to think that a chapter that hazes pledges/NMs would not do the same to new initiates.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Thanks for the additional info. The reports on the news have said no pledging activities and I've been wondering to what extent. Like could a chapter still have separate new member meetings or would the NMs only be allowed to go to regular chapter meetings. With your info, seems like the NMs get initiated ASAP.

CSUNs on semesters, right? Wouldn't they be close to initiation time anyhow? If Chi O was on campus, I could see this being a big problem since they are the only ones who still hold over NMs for grade reports.

I find it naïve of the school to think that a chapter that hazes pledges/NMs would not do the same to new initiates.
The chapter I advise chose to initiate their pledges today--we left it up to them. The chapters either had to initiate right away or end the relationship/association with the pledges.

It seems like meetings with pledgemaster/mom/NM educator and pledges only would not be allowed. My ladies are taking the opportunity to do some review for all sisters while making sure the newest members are up to speed on the information they need to know

CSUN is on semesters, and I think the initiation date really depends on the length of the pledge/NM program. My ladies weren't going to initiate for another few weeks and that seems on par with other chapters. The semester ends before the December holidays (mid-Dec).

I'm with you on the bolded.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Isn't this exactly what happened at Santa Clara?
I'm talking about the impact of this happening at a major school with a major Greek Life system.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm talking about the impact of this happening at a major school with a major Greek Life system.
Um wow, nice insult.

Is Princeton major enough of a school?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Tabling Santa Clara, Princeton and Harvard for the moment. Kevin's proposal may work for fraternities at some schools, but it doesn't work well for Panhellenic member organizations.

The NPC made an informed and intentional decision to follow rules that determine how its member groups may establish collegiate chapters. Unlike fraternities, NPC groups cannot colonize at will (exceptions for interest groups that petition). Each step of the process (voting to open for expansion, requests for packets, presentations and selection) are designed to help ensure that each member organization can evaluate growth opportunities and that the new group has bandwidth for success. If an NPC group departs campus (absent an agreement to return, which would not happen under Kevin's proposal), it must wait for an opening and then risk not being selected. An NPC group with a healthy, well-performing chapter is not going to depart that campus to make a point.

Last edited by pinksequins; 10-28-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Um wow, nice insult.

Is Princeton major enough of a school?
Probably not really. Princeton is free to do what the hell they want to do because they are private. I'm talking about PUBLIC schools, i.e. schools where your Constitutional rights apply.

GLOs should certainly have different approaches to private vs. public schools. At public schools, we should have no problem demanding and insisting that the schools respect our organizations' and members' rights.;

And Santa Clara's Greek Life system is tiny. Not an insult. That's just what they are.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry I'd be pissed as a member of a chapter there and would be fighting the ruling. Everyone shouldn't be punished because of what one chapter did, THAT chapter needs to be punished.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt