GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,328
0 members and 1,328 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
My rush was the year of the giant computer f**k-up that meant we got the WRONG invitations and then had them revoked. I had a full schedule for second invitational, but it was not the full schedule I had been expecting. My rho chi told me "Ignore everything that has happened up until this point. These are the five chapters on campus. Is there one you could love by bid day?"

(and of course, there was...actually, there were five I could have loved)
yeah, that was what I said. LOL.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been trying to give my daughter advice about not picking favorites early on, and every time she has said, rather impatiently, "I know, Mom." But she did pick a favorite, had her heart broken, and apparently has found some other favorites. Now if they will just ask her back to the next round ... I am dying to share with you all what parties she went back to. What do you think?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and warm wishes! I had a chance to talk with Ava late last night and I did find out a majority of her group had appx 7 parties total to go to, so she felt very lucky to be going back to 13. It does appear the first round cuts were big, but in my opinion, that seems like a much better method in the long run. After 2nd invites she is still madly in love with her favorite since the first day and is trying so hard to keep an open mind, but she did say she will be sad if she does not receive an invite back. But being the smart girl she is, she then rattles off the great things about her remaining houses and how she would be thrilled to be in any of them. She wishes she didn't love this house so much, and is not saying it in a bratty I only belong here way, she really felt like they knew her already and were so happy to see her and she didn't want to leave. I'm hopeful for her, but we both agreed the best home for her is where she is invited back and your new sisters know you're out there and the Greek universe has a way of showing and helping you find your true home. Clara Mom I hope your daughter has a stress free week and hopefully next weekend will get here quickly!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Mom View Post
I am dying to share with you all what parties she went back to. What do you think?
And I'm dying to hear it!

BUT...it may be best if you keep it anonymous for now.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Illinois View Post
I'm hopeful for her, but we both agreed the best home for her is where she is invited back and your new sisters know you're out there and the Greek universe has a way of showing and helping you find your true home.
DG Illinois - I LOVE this!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
First of all, thank you so much for the updates! I am super addicted! Considering it's the biggest rush in the nation, we don't get nearly enough UIUC threads.

Thanks! My relationship with this pnm is much closer than I led on and I have updates from her best friend and from her roommate as well, so I have 3 pnms I'm talking closely with. I wisely know that now would not be the time for a recruitment story, but I would love to actually write it when recruitment wraps up.

My rush was the year of the giant computer f**k-up that meant we got the WRONG invitations and then had them revoked. I had a full schedule for second invitational, but it was not the full schedule I had been expecting. My rho chi told me "Ignore everything that has happened up until this point. These are the five chapters on campus. Is there one you could love by bid day?"

I had no idea that happened...what a mess

(and of course, there was...actually, there were five I could have loved)
Love that there is a happy ending.
If you look above you can see my responses within the area I was quoting, or I should say trying to quote, somehow I missed the part where what I write is in a different color.

Last edited by DG Illinois; 09-12-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: I am obviously clueless
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
First of all, thank you so much for the updates! I am super addicted! Considering it's the biggest rush in the nation, we don't get nearly enough UIUC threads.
I am curious, how is U of I considered the biggest rush in the nation? Penn State and IU have more NPC chapters than U of I and Alabama had more PNMs register for recruitment. Are the chapters at U of I large in number? Or are Greeks a high percentage of the student body?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Greeks are a large percentage of the student body, and while Penn State and IU currently have more chapters (but U of I recently had a chapter close), quota and total at U of I are higher. While Penn State may have a quota around 18, U of I will typically have a quota in the 50s.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Really enjoying this thread!! Best of luck to all of the Illinois pnm's that we are reading about. I am rooting for an Alpha Phi or Kappa ending!!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My rec girl is having a blast! She had 13 parties yesterday, and right now has several "favorites"!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Greeks are a large percentage of the student body, and while Penn State and IU currently have more chapters (but U of I recently had a chapter close), quota and total at U of I are higher. While Penn State may have a quota around 18, U of I will typically have a quota in the 50s.
Wow, I had no idea that Penn State quotas were so small. I assumed they would be huge. The chapters are smaller there than I guessed they would be. IU quotas fluctuate because of the bed quota system. Last year the new member classes at Indiana ranged from the mid 30s to the low 90s. Theta Phi Alpha should be colonizing soon at Indiana, I hope someone from TPA will let us know it went.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I am curious, how is U of I considered the biggest rush in the nation? Penn State and IU have more NPC chapters than U of I and Alabama had more PNMs register for recruitment. Are the chapters at U of I large in number? Or are Greeks a high percentage of the student body?
I was under the impression that U of I has the most women in NPC groups. Maybe Alabama has overtaken them since I was in school.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Wow, I had no idea that Penn State quotas were so small. I assumed they would be huge. The chapters are smaller there than I guessed they would be. IU quotas fluctuate because of the bed quota system. Last year the new member classes at Indiana ranged from the mid 30s to the low 90s. Theta Phi Alpha should be colonizing soon at Indiana, I hope someone from TPA will let us know it went.
I think psusue said that total is 90 now. Remember that Penn State also doesn't have sorority houses.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick question. I have learned that at some houses legacies get an automatic return invite to the first round. Is this ever the case with a non-legacy recommendation? Do girls with recommendations automatically get an invite to the first party? Just want to know if I should be fretting that two houses she might like only invited daughter back because they had to ...
Old 09-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that U of I has the most women in NPC groups. Maybe Alabama has overtaken them since I was in school.
UIUC was definitely the largest when I was in school, too. Now, Alabama is certainly the largest. I believe UIUC would fall in at about #3 or 4.

This is just for fun, but if campus total meant anything (which we all know it really doesn't), the largest greek systems would be:

1. Alabama 268*17=4,556
2. Auburn 183*17=3,111
3. Missouri 220*14=3,080
4. Illinois 170*18=3,060
5. Georgia 170*17=2,890
6. Florida 161*16=2,576
7. Oklahoma 211*11=2,321
8. Arizona 200*11=2,200
9. Ole Miss 232*9=2,088

As well as Indiana, which would fall in there somewhere, but with 20 chapters and no established total, who knows where.

Of course since chapters may have way over total, or under total, this is not scientific at all.