GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,429
2 members and 1,427 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Thinking about applying for Rho Gamma

I absolutely loved mine during recruitment and I'm wondering if anyone has been one or has a close friend who has and if they would recommend it? I'm not thrilled about having to not wear letters or show any signs that I'm a DG for a while, but I think being a Rho Gamma gives you such a great opportunity to learn how to deal with people and to build connections with PNMs (who may even become your sister!) Any thoughts or advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

have you experienced recruitment from the sorority side yet? i think it helps to have seen it from both angles. i would highly recommend being a rho gamma. although i enjoyed my time as a recruitment counselor and got to know women from all the other sororities, i did miss my sorority sisters. it just made the homecoming that much more sweet!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm about to jump into recruitment-counselor-land. I'm so excited. I applied for the same reason you did--my PX was fantastic. At my school, it's required to have participated in the sorority side of recruitment at least once before applying to be a Pi Chi. And if it's not required--I still would suggest doing "regular recruitment" before, because I wouldn't give up last year's experience for anything. I learned so much about the system and got so much closer with my sisters. I'm going to miss that this year, but I can't wait to experience yet another side to recruitment!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a Rho Chi my senior year. It was a great experience, but I wish I had not done it my senior year, since that was my last year with my sisters and I missed out being with them during Rush (as we called it in my day). Also, the skit they performed at Theme Party was one I had written -- and I didn't even get to see it!

All that said, though, I loved being a Rho Chi. My PNM's were a great, diverse group of young women. Spending the week with them was an opportunity to work with and relate to different personality types on both a group and individual basis. It was also an avenue for promoting Greek Life as a whole.

The downside? I did see some girls really get hurt. A few of mine dropped out of recruitment when they saw their invites to Pref and nothing would convince them to continue on. Following Pref, I had two girls who were dropped and did not receive bids to any chapter. It was probably my first real experience at handling a difficult situation, and being the messenger of such heartbreaking news is not on my list of things I'd like to repeat. It IS a very real possibility in recruitment, so my advice would be think ahead of how you might handle this situation. When I interviewed for the Rho Chi position, the Panhellenic Advisor presented a variety of different scenarios and asked me how I would handle each one.

Good luck!