GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,529
1 members and 1,528 guests
navane

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Bit of a dilemma with spring rush

Let me preface this by saying I'm a student at a fairly large SEC school. The Greek life is a large portion of the student population.

Back in fall, I wasn't able to make as many rush opportunities as I wanted to because I was out of state and came in later than normal. I had been in contact with a well regarded fraternity on campus which I was a legacy of. I hadn't been able to get to know some of the guys and missed out on fall rush. I decided that I would poke around during spring rush, which the fraternity I was a legacy of (Let's name it fraternity A) didn't take part in. I had a friend who joined a less known and regarded fraternity(fraternity B) on campus and through him was able to contact the rush chair. Towards the end of fall, I was invited to a party and a few other events. I came back on the fence about whether or not I wanted to do it; as spring rush is less active, regarded as "less fun" and looked down upon at my school. On the third day of classes in was invited to a party and given a bid without the chance to defer. In the moment I accepted it. After two days I'm still 50/50 on whether I should notify the rush chair that I feel spring rush is for me. My father, uncle and some family friends had both been a part of fraternity A and I heard stories as well as a lot of respect for them growing up. It would be nice to have that connection to the two of them and follow in their footsteps(same chapter) and to also get a better view of the fraternities

Looking at these two here are some pros and cons;

Fraternity A:

Strong nationally
Well regarded among the greeks (high tier)
Have a somewhat high GPA(top 10)
Throw a lot of fun parties and have a brand new house
Some "frat stars"(everyone has them though ).
Do charity work but not as much as Fraternity B
Might party a bit too much and while they attract some of the prettier girls, they're also not the classiest
Some hazing

Fraternity B

Strong nationally but not near Fraternity A
Not well regarded. Known more as a nice group of guys but "low tier"
Highest GPA on campus
Bit larger (about 40-50) more than Fraternity A. I want to go for a leadership position and I feel it will be easier and more impressive to do so at Fraternity A
No real hazing
Do the most charity work among fraternities
Not moving into a large house until spring 2015

Since I've only been pledged for about two days and we're still not close to the official beginning of spring rush, would it hurt me to notify them that I would like to drop and wait until next fall? I think it would benefit me to look at more of the fraternities and also see if I mix with Fraternity A well. I'm not sure what to do currently but I'm leaning towards waiting until fall.