GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,218
2 members and 1,216 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I guess I'm willing to throw her a bone because the sorority system is so confusing to outsiders.
The NPHC vs. NPC wasn't the real issue. The issue is that she missed context clues that she could have grasped before she came to GC.

She knew there were over a dozen sororities on her campus, yet she followed up on a "3 of the 4 sororities" answer from Senusret. Anyone with a grain of brain would say "hmmm...maybe I have the wrong group because I know there are more than 3 or 4 sororities of this kind on my campus ALONE."

But, maybe that's just me expecting crazy co-eds to have some level of critical thinking skills.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkalum View Post
If you look back at this post, it was EPChick's sarcastic post that caused 50occer to post something that was out of bounds.
If you are trying to prove why we should all be "nicer" or whatever to newbies, my post isn't the one you should refer to. My comment did not cause the OP to call me and everyone else assholes.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
This may be slightly off-topic, but here goes...

I don't understand why a regular poster would want to create an alias to express their opinion. Are people really that concerned about what other posters think of them? I wouldn't know 99% of you if I bumped into you on the street, and I imagine it's that way for the rest of the board.

I mean, I've seen subsets of this feeling in other areas of the board. Poster A criticizes Poster B, and Poster B says something along the lines of "OMG I can't believe you criticized me, I thought we got along!" Or there are people who trumpet their GC reputations. People tend to get way too attached to other user names on the board, or to their own GC persona.

Do you really care that much about how other people on the board feel about you? Is your GC reputation really that big of a deal?

To CallingYouOut - I really don't get your using an alias in this situation. The only thing you posted that might have necessitated an alias was the comment about your husband, and honestly, your story would have worked the same if you had said "a friend of mine" or "someone I know" instead.

Sorry, I guess I just don't get it. If you're going to post something that you don't want attached to your regular user name, maybe you just shouldn't post it.
Totally agreed.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Do you really care that much about how other people on the board feel about you? Is your GC reputation really that big of a deal?

If you're going to post something that you don't want attached to your regular user name, maybe you just shouldn't post it.
I agree with your entire post, especially these two points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkalum View Post
If you look back at this post, it was EPChick's sarcastic post that caused 50occer to post something that was out of bounds.

Bottom line, taunting and talk-back is for bullies.
If these comments "hurt" the super-sensitive posters, they need thicker skin. It's not that serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
If you are trying to prove why we should all be "nicer" or whatever to newbies, my post isn't the one you should refer to. My comment did not cause the OP to call me and everyone else assholes.
I know I contributed to the derailing of this thread lol

But, as KSUViolet stated earlier, the only time that new posters get like this is when the answers don't match what they want to hear.

I can't believe this thread got THIS serious.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingYouOut View Post

I'm actually a regular poster, who many of you actually like, but today I've created an alias, because I'm disgusted by some of the responses of my fellow greekchat members to this question. Perhaps the poster's decisions that lead to her arrest weren't the smartest in hindsight, but I can name about 10 people I knew in the Greek system at my University who were arrested for the same thing. If your sisters were perfect angels, please raise your hand, because I would like to meet them.

When you make sarcastic, snotty remarks in response to the postings, you are representing your GLO, and frankly, some of you I would be more ashamed to call sisters than 50ccerfan. Take the high road, if you don't like 50ccerfan's postings, then don't respond. These boards are read by women who are considering joining our organizations, and you are doing nothing to break the stereotypes of greek women... snotty, sarcastic and full of yourselves.

50ccerfan, I wouldn't sweat this arrest. My husband is a deputized supervisor of a federal law enforcement agency, and he was arrested for the same thing when he was 20. Yes, it did come up on his application, and he was able to explain it. A requirement of his job is that he fly with a gun.

So 50ccerfan, if you are concerned that a GLO will exclude you because of this, I wouldn't sweat it too much, just don't bring it up unless asked. You've obviously learned from your mistake, and I wish you the best of luck.
If you don't have the balls to call me out by your regular name, then you don't matter. Oh wait.... you don't matter to me anyhow. Don't tell me how my sisters should feel about me, I have been doing my organization proud since I was a new member.

The OP originally said that she was interested in the NPHC, which is completely different, thus in that situation my original comment made sense. Now it seems she is going NPC, so I guess it doesn't...in the grand scheme, does it really matter? No..

Grow a pair and don't hide because you don't want to look like a big meanie if you're going to call me out.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

I know I contributed to the derailing of this thread lol

But, as KSUViolet stated earlier, the only time that new posters get like this is when the answers don't match what they want to hear.

I can't believe this thread got THIS serious.
The OP derailed their own thread, we just added some comic relief....lmao

I'm surprised that you're surprised that this thread got serious (wait did that make sense? lol). Doesn't it always? lol

ETA: Bravo to KSigKid!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
If you don't have the balls to call me out by your regular name, then you don't matter. Oh wait.... you don't matter to me anyhow. Don't tell me how my sisters should feel about me, I have been doing my organization proud since I was a new member.

The OP originally said that she was interested in the NPHC, which is completely different, thus in that situation my original comment made sense. Now it seems she is going NPC, so I guess it doesn't...in the grand scheme, does it really matter? No..

Grow a pair and don't hide because you don't want to look like a big meanie if you're going to call me out.
But she's a poster that we like! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
The OP derailed their own thread, we just added some comic relief....lmao

I'm surprised that you're surprised that this thread got serious (wait did that make sense? lol). Doesn't it always? lol

ETA: Bravo to KSigKid!
Yes, it made sense lol

I just laugh everytime I see people get all butthurt about PNMs not getting coddled at every turn.

I was thinking about this earlier today. There have been many PNMs/aspirants that have come on here with common sense. We've been supportive of those people. It's the "OMG I WANNA START A SORORITY WE HAVE COLORS BUT NEED HELP WITH ALL THE REST TELL ME WHAT TO DO BUT DON'T BE MEAN KTHXBI!!!!" and "I HAVE A 1.232 GPA AND NO FRIENDS BUT I WANT TO JOIN A SORORITY THEN DROP AND JOIN A TOP TIER WHEN I TRANSFER WHAT DO I DO!!??" people that get shit.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I love the response "calling you out." When I read the OP I thought there but by the grace of god. Of course, the fake ID I had didn't end up getting me in trouble, but I DID have one. And anyone here saying they never broke the law before joining a sorority, I don't buy it. Never had a beer once? Never took one hit off a joint? I know of a girl in high school who got arrested for public exposure (peeing in public while drunk... the cop allowed her to pick public exposure or underage drinking) and she spent 4 productive years in a sorority. I will bet you a dollar it never came up and wouldn't have mattered to the sorority anyway.

They won't look, there's no reason to mention it, and if it does come up and they do cut you because of it, c'est la vie. I still bet it wouldn't affect your options at EVERY house on campus even if somebody found out.
While I agree with you in theory, I also need to add this. We all know membership selections can be arbitrary and harsh, especially on competitive campuses that have to release a ton of PNMs right off the bat. Many girls have been cut for far more piddly reasons. If a decision had to be made between 2 PNMs most chapters would choose the 1 who hasn't been arrested. That doesn't mean a PNM who got caught with a fake ID is a bad person or the 1 who doesn't have a record is an angel.
Closed Thread