GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,384
2 members and 2,382 guests
aidancahvsoz240, PrettyBoy

Old 09-03-2006, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuAmberkins
"You can do so much better."

Why do people always feel the need to say this when you've just broken up with your significant other? Maybe it's to boost my self-esteem...but all I hear is "You set your standards too low and you should try harder next time." And maybe I didn't want to do better! Grrr...sorry, I was just wondering if this made anyone else a little peeved, especially during the "wallowing in self-pity and melancholy" phase of the breakup.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-03-2006, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I don't mind. Hey, it certainly beats "you aimed too high" or "you were too different" or "we could tell ages ago it was not going to work out, find someone more convenient".

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 09-03-2006, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JemmaUK Send a message via MSN to JemmaUK Send a message via Yahoo to JemmaUK Send a message via Skype™ to JemmaUK
It does get a little horrid hearing it all the time, I'm finding staying signle the best way of not hearing it
Old 09-03-2006, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
Best advice my mom ever gave me... never make a comment that aludes to the ex as being not a good person if possible, you never know if it can come back to haunt ya! Example, Me to friend "He wasn't good enough for you" three weeks later the friend is back with the guy and she says to me "why did you insult the man I love?" Just be supportive of the friend by saying things like "you are a great person and in time you will find what you want". Just my opinion.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:36 PM

I hear you all on this one loud and clear. When you say all sorts of negative things about the guy to your friend after they break up, it doesn't help her, it makes her feel like a jackass for dating him to begin with.

When the ex Mr 33 & I split, one of my friends she said HORRIBLE things about him - and this is after he had said that he thought of her as a little sister, and after she confided to him about numerous things. She basically said she had never thought of him as a friend at all. It created a rift in our friendship that still isn't completely healed. On the other side of the coin, she dated a guy we all hated from the jump - I was never anything but icily cordial to him - and she tried to say it was the same. Umm HELL no.

So when your friend breaks up with someone, unless you've told her from the start that you don't like him, DON'T do a 180 and say you always thought he was wrong for her, etc etc. Let her wallow and keep your mouth shut. If you can't do that, you aren't a very good friend.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
I hear you all on this one loud and clear. When you say all sorts of negative things about the guy to your friend after they break up, it doesn't help her, it makes her feel like a jackass for dating him to begin with.

When the ex Mr 33 & I split, one of my friends she said HORRIBLE things about him - and this is after he had said that he thought of her as a little sister, and after she confided to him about numerous things. She basically said she had never thought of him as a friend at all. It created a rift in our friendship that still isn't completely healed. On the other side of the coin, she dated a guy we all hated from the jump - I was never anything but icily cordial to him - and she tried to say it was the same. Umm HELL no.

So when your friend breaks up with someone, unless you've told her from the start that you don't like him, DON'T do a 180 and say you always thought he was wrong for her, etc etc. Let her wallow and keep your mouth shut. If you can't do that, you aren't a very good friend.

Listen. Your last few post have been depressing to me. You need help. No more listening to suicidal bands like The Smiths. Especially the "Mash" song. instead, listen to some music that my girlfriend LaRonda recommends.

Oh. Oh Sheila...let me love you till the morning comes.
Oh. Oh Sheila...you know I want to be the only one

Yeah? Thats a little better right?

Last edited by BobbyTheDon; 09-03-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiMuAmberkins
Why do people always feel the need to say this when you've just broken up with your significant other? Maybe it's to boost my self-esteem...but all I hear is "You set your standards too low and you should try harder next time." And maybe I didn't want to do better! Grrr...sorry, I was just wondering if this made anyone else a little peeved, especially during the "wallowing in self-pity and melancholy" phase of the breakup.
now I know how my best friend felt when his ex girlfriend dumped him. I kept saying, " fuck that hoe, she was flat chested anyways. "

one time i even said, " she probably doesnt suck good dick anyways bro. "

prrrrobably not the most appropriate thing. but atleast it made him laugh.

sure it can be annoying, but atleast you know you've got some friends who will let you cry on their shoulder. they just wanna cheer you up!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Yeah...when someone says that to me it sounds like a subtler way of saying "Your taste in women sucks".

I'll be your boyfriend, Amber. We'll go to where he works and make out. A lot.

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 09-04-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyTheDon
Listen. Your last few post have been depressing to me. You need help. No more listening to suicidal bands like The Smiths. Especially the "Mash" song. instead, listen to some music that my girlfriend LaRonda recommends.

Oh. Oh Sheila...let me love you till the morning comes.
Oh. Oh Sheila...you know I want to be the only one

Yeah? Thats a little better right?
believe me, they're just as depressing to me to write the things. But better here than venting on people IRL or whacking them with a brick in pantyhose a la Heavenly Creatures.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think that's exactly what it is. friends tend to say things to chear up other friends after a broken relationship to keep their minds off of it.