GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 883
1 members and 882 guests
Xidelt

Old 02-08-2006, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
And I doubt that any of the D9 have as many houses as other types of GLOs to begin with.

-Rudey
In terms of undergraduate houses, Rudey is correct. So the question remains, are sorority houses (undergrad and alumnae level) the only kinds of properties that NHQ and IHQ can own.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Answer the question since you know so much.

Most GLOs have local corporations that own houses, not the IHQ. Many GLOs rent. And I doubt that any of the D9 have as many houses as other types of GLOs to begin with.

So really is there a vast empire of real estate in their portfolios creating a complex web of financial transactions? You know so much about ZPB so I thought you would know.

-Rudey
Who said anything about a vast empire? You said "...they don't have houses and real estate to worry about ..." You stand corrected. Now, run along. lol
Old 02-08-2006, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the troubles that have been visited upon Zeta Phi Beta is a tragedy; but it's not unique. Even though, as we have seen in the recent accounting scandals in corporate america of late and other cases, this is serious problem in general, it's more disturbing in that it's a non-profit and BGLO. Without being PC here, as it concerns out HBCUs and other groups(e.g. churches,etc.), far too often many of our problems stem from someone looting the coffers,general mismanagement or financial malfeasance. In some cases there does seems to be a culture of entitlement in which leaders treat the organizations they lead as their personal fiefdoms where they use them for their own profit. Embarassing as this might be, this may be the thing that helps put the "fear of God" into our BGLO leaders, in order that we can actually fulfill out mandates of service and community empowerment. (An aside: A few years ago, former Virgina governor L. Douglas Wilder wanted to serve as president of his Alma Mater, Virginia Union University, and there were some who wanted to make this happen. But when Wilder, who ran a very tight ship administratively as governor, made it known that if he accepted the mantle of leadership at VUU, he would come in and clean house. Well, the powers that be at VUU balked. He's now mayor of Richmond,VA. )This should motivate ALL of us to demand more accountability in our groups!

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Well said, Wolfman. Just an aside: this is not unique to the nonprofit world either.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman
(An aside: A few years ago, former Virgina governor L. Douglas Wilder wanted to serve as president of his Alma Mater, Virginia Union University, and there were some who wanted to make this happen. But when Wilder, who ran a very tight ship administratively as governor, made it known that if he accepted the mantle of leadership at VUU, he would come in and clean house. Well, the powers that be at VUU balked. He's now mayor of Richmond,VA. )This should motivate ALL of us to demand more accountability in our groups!

Yes. We're having those (alumni) issues...
July 2006, please hurry up! (sigh)
Old 02-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by GangsterOfLove
Who said anything about a vast empire? You said "...they don't have houses and real estate to worry about ..." You stand corrected. Now, run along. lol
And you said they owned houses at campuses.

I will pray for your sins.

-Rudey
Old 02-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Well said, Wolfman. Just an aside: this is not unique to the nonprofit world either.
Of course not. Enron, Worldcom, Healthsouth...the list goes on.

My favorite is when a CEO used the word EBITDAB with me. I know what EBITDA is but evidently EBITDAB is Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization and Bob.

-Rudey
Old 02-08-2006, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
In terms of undergraduate houses, Rudey is correct. So the question remains, are sorority houses (undergrad and alumnae level) the only kinds of properties that NHQ and IHQ can own.
Absolutely not. I sure that many HNQ and IHQ have investments that don't include chapter houses. Maybe in the aspect of owning land or whatnot.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are there ZPB houses on campuses across the country, let alone ones owned by their IHQ?

-Rudey
Houses aren't the only form of real estate.

They do own their IHQ, which is a piece of prime real estate, located on New Hampshire Ave. in D.C.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Don't some organizations help finance housing for certain chapters? That would make them owners until the loan is retired wouldn't it?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, the troubles that have been visited upon Zeta Phi Beta is a tragedy; but it's not unique. Even though, as we have seen in the recent accounting scandals in corporate america of late and other cases, this is serious problem in general, it's more disturbing in that it's a non-profit and BGLO. Without being PC here, as it concerns out HBCUs and other groups(e.g. churches,etc.), far too often many of our problems stem from someone looting the coffers,general mismanagement or financial malfeasance. In some cases there does seems to be a culture of entitlement in which leaders treat the organizations they lead as their personal fiefdoms where they use them for their own profit. Embarassing as this might be, this may be the thing that helps put the "fear of God" into our BGLO leaders, in order that we can actually fulfill out mandates of service and community empowerment. (An aside: A few years ago, former Virgina governor L. Douglas Wilder wanted to serve as president of his Alma Mater, Virginia Union University, and there were some who wanted to make this happen. But when Wilder, who ran a very tight ship administratively as governor, made it known that if he accepted the mantle of leadership at VUU, he would come in and clean house. Well, the powers that be at VUU balked. He's now mayor of Richmond,VA. )This should motivate ALL of us to demand more accountability in our groups!
While I understand where you are coming from, I don't see this as an issue exclusive to US.

It's a corporate issue, period. Our schools and churches aren't the only ones that suffer mismanagement of funds or senses of entitlement from the leadership.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
While I understand where you are coming from, I don't see this as an issue exclusive to US.

It's a corporate issue, period. Our schools and churches aren't the only ones that suffer mismanagement of funds or senses of entitlement from the leadership.
He acknowledged that it is an overall problem. He said that it's more disturbing when it's non-profit and BGLO.

See sentence below:

"Even though, as we have seen in the recent accounting scandals in corporate america of late and other cases, this is serious problem in general, it's more disturbing in that it's a non-profit and BGLO."
Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

The issue of leaders in BGLOs (and other groups) looting their organizations or simple malfeasance is only one side of the equation. The other side is the culturally ingrained idolization of leaders in African American organizations, which transcends the presence of organizational charts and has to do with the members' expectations of how a leader should conduct him/herself. In my observation there is a projection of the hopes and dreams of "success" of members onto leaders so that the exalted status they occupy is an extension of the hopes and dreams and status of the rank and file. So the bishop,pastor, president, chancellor, basileus, polemarch,etc. should live in a style befitting that status. It's a matter of pride for see the leader driving the fancy car, big house and fly gear! I've seen this dynamic in play in different organizational settings. We've got to evolve out of this mindset so that unscrupulous leaders won't be tolerated and we don't put good leaders into the situation where they are tempted to conform to the way exercising leadership, which is largely grounded in individualistic, charismatic notions of leadership. When you add into this heady mix a group of enablers, you're looking at a "mess." On a cursory examination, this seems to have been going on in the Z Phi B affair.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
He acknowledged that it is an overall problem. He said that it's more disturbing when it's non-profit and BGLO.

See sentence below:

"Even though, as we have seen in the recent accounting scandals in corporate america of late and other cases, this is serious problem in general, it's more disturbing in that it's a non-profit and BGLO."
OK.

RIF, huh? lol
Old 02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

there it is!!!!

you hit the nail on the head!!!!

Quote:
The issue of leaders in BGLOs (and other groups) looting their organizations or simple malfeasance is only one side of the equation. The other side is the culturally ingrained idolization of leaders in African American organizations, which transcends the presence of organizational charts and has to do with the members' expectations of how a leader should conduct him/herself. In my observation there is a projection of the hopes and dreams of "success" of members onto leaders so that the exalted status they occupy is an extension of the hopes and dreams and status of the rank and file. So the bishop,pastor, president, chancellor, basileus, polemarch,etc. should live in a style befitting that status. It's a matter of pride for see the leader driving the fancy car, big house and fly gear! I've seen this dynamic in play in different organizational settings. We've got to evolve out of this mindset so that unscrupulous leaders won't be tolerated and we don't put good leaders into the situation where they are tempted to conform to the way exercising leadership, which is largely grounded in individualistic, charismatic notions of leadership. When you add into this heady mix a group of enablers, you're looking at a "mess." On a cursory examination, this seems to have been going on in the Z Phi B affair.