GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,492
0 members and 1,492 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2014, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I have to preface this with saying I think there's no excuse for domestic violence and I don't support this individual in any way.

However, I've never heard of anybody losing their job over a non-felony - non-conviction (it's a weird legal status he was in but it won't show on his record as a conviction if he meets the requirements set by the court) so... who should be losing their jobs over convictions that have nothing to do with their ability to do their jobs overall? I get it if someone in retail is fired for shoplifting at another store. But, should what happens in your personal life result in consequences by your employer? I have a hard time with this principle in general.

If someone had a DUI but was say.. a computer programmer... who didn't get jail time for it, should that person be fired?

I'm trying to understand when this is ok and when it isn't.
He's a public figure, he's under more scrutiny than an average Joe. I view it as similar to being a politician, you've chosen a career in the public light and with that comes a higher standard. Cross that line and the public will demand action.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have to preface this with saying I think there's no excuse for domestic violence and I don't support this individual in any way.

However, I've never heard of anybody losing their job over a non-felony - non-conviction
Bill Clinton nearly lost his job over a non-felony, non-conviction.

I'm sure these guys probably all have wording in their contracts that have to deal with this exact thing (i.e. You're a public figure, so don't do anything incredibly stupid, or we have every right to fire you).

@~/~~~~
Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

However, I've never heard of anybody losing their job over a non-felony - non-conviction (it's a weird legal status he was in but it won't show on his record as a conviction if he meets the requirements set by the court) so... who should be losing their jobs over convictions that have nothing to do with their ability to do their jobs overall? I get it if someone in retail is fired for shoplifting at another store. But, should what happens in your personal life result in consequences by your employer? I have a hard time with this principle in general.

If someone had a DUI but was say.. a computer programmer... who didn't get jail time for it, should that person be fired?

Some companies would fire you. I would figure that a non-tenured professor who got charges for domestic violence or a DUI could be fired. Soldiers can get kicked out of the military for these issues. Even counselors/ therapists could lose their job at agencies and hospitals for things like this. We could argue that a lapse in judgment like this does not warrant losing your job because it does not technically affect how well you do it but, why should a computer programmer be any different than a college professor, soldier, or counselor/ therapist? We should all be held to higher standards. It's just that, if you do good work at your job, it's easy to look away from holding people to a higher standard.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It's always "okay." The company that hires the employee can choose to fire an employee for any reason. When there are contracts, those contracts specify those reasons, so employees should be aware of their rights and responsibilities. High profile employees are especially susceptible to firing because of embarrassment to the company. The company has no responsibility to keep an employee that jeopardizes their business. There have been several cases of CEOs in the tech sector who have stepped down because of sexist behavior in the work place. No convictions or even charges. Donald Sterling didnt break any laws, but he lost his NBA team because his conduct jeopardized the whole NBA not just the Clippers. These cases may have taken more time than the Rice firing, but they are still gone. Your example of a low level employee and a DUI isn't the same because unless they killed someone or they'd had multiple DUIs, the DUI wouldn't cast the company in a bad light. Bad PR is a justifiable cause for firing.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Lol did you just see the video? I just didn't see any other posts over here from you. That's why I was asking. Too funny. I hear you, though.
I saw it for the first time yesterday, and it ticked me off. That's the first thing I asked... "Does she have family?" And if so, "How is that fool still living?" Again, if that was my sister (she has a father, a mother, and two brothers), I can guarantee you, Ray Rice or any other abusive dude who puts his hands on her would not be living. Period. I come from a family who doesn't play that siht, man.
Romans 1:16
Old 09-14-2014, 11:14 AM

And considering a very high up person at my ex-employer recently got sacked because he couldn't keep it in his pants (or at least be discreet about it) this isn't just a famous-people thing either.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

In our hyper 24 hour news cycle where NOTHING goes unnoticed anymore, and the social media platform to speak out and shame companies in hours, optics matter, period. Image is everything.

It's why teens need to understand the stupid stuff they do these days, it'll still be there on Google when they're 40 and looking for a job.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
In our hyper 24 hour news cycle where NOTHING goes unnoticed anymore, and the social media platform to speak out and shame companies in hours, optics matter, period. Image is everything.

It's why teens need to understand the stupid stuff they do these days, it'll still be there on Google when they're 40 and looking for a job.
^Hit the nail on the head. Someone said it earlier and I want to echo the sentiment that bringing shame/ embarrassment to your employer can be grounds for dismissal in many circumstances.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
If I was that woman's father or brother, he'd have lost a lot more than just his job. I'd be in prison after the fact, but mission accomplished. Punk mofo$&@@""!
Okay y'all, PrettyBoy is crazy lol.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

We stress to PNMS that image matters, scrub your profiles down, make everything private, if it's spring rush be careful in the fall not get a "bad" reputation.

If we stress this to 18 yr old freshmenand hold them accountable for their "image" It's ridiculous to think image doesn't matter to companies or anyone who has money on the line.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Girl View Post
Okay y'all, PrettyBoy is crazy lol.
When it comes to protecting my family/loved ones from someone disrespecting them - ABSOLUTELY! - loony as three fruit cakes stacked up on top of each other.
Romans 1:16
Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
When it comes to protecting my family/loved ones from someone disrespecting them - ABSOLUTELY! - loony as three fruit cakes stacked up on top of each other.
Lmao!