GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,579
2 members and 2,577 guests
FSUZeta, SilverTurtle

Old 10-26-2009, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

luvedward, you are only bound for a year if you sign an MRABA (membership recruitment acceptance binding agreement) or "pref card" and are matched to a chapter you listed on it. Being bound for a year to a chapter you list on your MRABA is to ensure that PNMs think long and hard about what they put on that card. Many schools have a guaranteed match policy, that if you rank all of your preference round chapters, you'll get a bid somewhere. Being bound is a check to that policy so PNMs only put down chapters they would accept a bid from. Otherwise, some chapters might match quota and have lots of no-shows on bid day.

It sounds like the chapter who offered you a bid did not make quota and they offered you a snap bid to try to make quota. You are not bound by a chapter offering you a snap bid.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I thought it was the signing of the PREF card (after Pref) that made you ineligible for a year.

Either way, if you never actually did either, then I don't see how you are ineligible.
Pref card, bid card - same thing. It's all technically an MRABA. Obviously there are women recruited through completely open rush or just plain word of mouth/friends in the sorority who never sign a "pref card" as they never attend any sort of pref party.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG Thank you all sooo much! So I will again look into the houses doing spring recruitment and let you all know what happens! Thank you so much once more! All the advice is amazing!
Also...I was wondering how do I go about getting recs? I mean I know like one graduate greek....but I contacted some of the national houses and they said they don't give out any information...So what happens from here? Any more advice?
Again Thank you so much!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

luvedward-I would definately go to your greek life office and ask to see this "bid card", because if you didn't even attend pref night, you therefore can't "sign" anything, so I may be stupid, but how can they "hold" you as ineligible when you technically didn't sign anything.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvedward View Post
Also...I was wondering how do I go about getting recs? I mean I know like one graduate greek....but I contacted some of the national houses and they said they don't give out any information...So what happens from here? Any more advice?
Again Thank you so much!
Contact the alumnae Panhellenic in your area.

http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panh...directory.aspx
Old 10-27-2009, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll contact the npc tomorrow and I'll go ahead and ask to see my bid card asap...what does a bid card look like by the way? I mean I never saw anything with my name so I'm just wondering

AGAIN Thank you all for your advice!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'll contact the npc tomorrow and I'll go ahead and ask to see my bid card asap...what does a bid card look like by the way? I mean I never saw anything with my name so I'm just wondering

Did you contact the Greek Life office (not NPC)? Are they even saying you signed a bid card or did you just hear through the grapevine that "if you get a bid in the fall you have to wait a year"? Sounds like the latter, a misunderstanding of the policy.

Last edited by violetpretty; 10-27-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Just to make sure we're clear:
You're going to contact your school's Greek Life office to insure you did not sign a MRABA/one was not signed "for you" thus potentially allowing you the opportunity to go through spring informal recruitment.

You're going to contact the local NPC alumnae group (assuming there is one) to potentially secure recs for either spring informal or recruitment for next year.

Correct?
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Your local Alumnae Panhellenic should not be the first place you look for recs. Ideally, you want recs from alumnae who actually know you. Ask everyone you know, such as:

HS teachers/staff/coaches/activity sponsors
your parents' friends
your friends' parents
your siblings' friends
your friends' siblings
coworkers
aunts/cousins
women from your place of worship, if applicable

Keep in mind that if you find one Greek woman, she may know of others, so keep this in mind if you find an alum of a sorority that does not have a chapter at Purdue. Fraternity alumni may know of sorority alumnae, so ask men too! For many NPCs, collegiates may write recs, so if you have friends who joined at other schools (can't be at Purdue), they may be able to write you a rec as well.

I say it over and over, but I live in a town of 6,000 people not in the South and I could hook up a PNM with alumnae from 20 of the 26 NPCs from the area (not including Greeks I know from UMD). You are bound to discover some Greeks you know personally.

Alumnae Panhellenic is where you "fill in the holes" for recs for NPCs for which you can not find an alumna through your own network.

Last edited by violetpretty; 10-27-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, that's what I'm doing...the state wide NPC hasn't answered me yet...and my Greek Life office I haven't been able to go by yet! (It's exams here! so I'm super busy)
Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I'm back for help with everything once more! I attempted to contact the Greek Office and they didn't say anything to me (about the fall rush)...I emailed them and no one emailed me back Also The state wide NPC hasn't contacted me for over a week! I don't know what to do about recs...I know I'm doing this early on, but its because I want the individuals who might write recs for me to get to know me and talk to me before writing a rec you know? Well thats the update on my situation!
Any advice???
Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well I'm back for help with everything once more! I attempted to contact the Greek Office and they didn't say anything to me (about the fall rush)...I emailed them and no one emailed me back
Try calling or stopping by the office. You could also try the Panhellenic VP of Recruitment.
Quote:
Also The state wide NPC hasn't contacted me for over a week! I don't know what to do about recs...I know I'm doing this early on, but its because I want the individuals who might write recs for me to get to know me and talk to me before writing a rec you know? Well thats the update on my situation!
Any advice???
One more time. Your local alumnae Panhellenic should NOT be the first place you look for recs. Really ask around and try to find Greeks among people you already know. Look at my list above and write down who you know in those categories and then ask them if they are Greek or know of any Greeks.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, so I did contact my greek office and they still can't say much about spring recruitment...they actually said it will be posted on the website so I have to wait :|

And I've started to contact the people that I know and am asking them if they no anyone who is greek....I'll let you know what turns up!

Thank you so much for all the advice
Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Turns out the bid I was given by the sorority does count here....therefore i would have to do something about asking them if they could remove the bid but i cannot do spring recruitment

I will have to wait until the fall
Old 01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Turns out the bid I was given by the sorority does count here....therefore i would have to do something about asking them if they could remove the bid but i cannot do spring recruitment

I will have to wait until the fall
Something doesn't feel quite right with this if what you told us earlier is true:
Quote:
What happened was I went through the second day of recruitment entirely and when it was time for the third day I got food poisoning. I told my Gamma Chi what happened, as soon as I stopped puking for a minute. She told me that it was ok and that she would continue to move my houses. On pref day I was still unable to attend and asked my Gamma Chi for advice. I never officially dropped recruitment...because my Gamma Chi told me that it would be ok to continue. On bid night I was working on a project and totally forgot about recruitment because I thought since I didn't finish there would be no chance for me to get a house and therefore I just thought that I would do it my sophomore year. At around 7 my Gamma Chi calls and tells me I have a bid, but I felt really unsure because I hadn't attended the rest of recruitment and didn't really feel like I knew what the house would be like. I never signed any bid night card or anything. Instead I told her I was completely unsure and asked for her advice. She told me to go to bid night and try it out. I didn't do what she said and instead just decided that it wouldn't be fair for me to go to a house that I had no idea of and neither did they know much about me...(I didn't even see skit day) so I just hope for the best next year
The parts I bolded are the most suspect. It sounds as if your Gamma Chi made the decisions for you without your input (possibly even submitting a preference card in your name?), and I don't think that's right or fair. You might be SOL for this semester and have to go through in the fall anyway, but that should be brought to the attention of Greek Life.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.