GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,316
0 members and 1,316 guests
No Members online

Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I doubt it will have any impact on the case in a court of law. How is it relevant to the charge of second degree murder and how does any relevance outweigh its potential unfair prejudice? What does what he said about Mexicans 7 years ago have to do with whether he committed second degree murder when he killed an African-American youth two months ago? Especially given that he identifies as Hispanic? Despite what the article says (yes, I read it), I think it's unlikely that this information will matter in court.

Here's an idea: Instead of posting nothing but links to random articles, why don't you give us your thoughts on why all of these articles are worth reading or have anything to add to the conversation.
Well besides just reading the articles MysticCat, I also spoke to several friends and associates who are in the legal field. They thought that it could have an impact in court as well.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
Well besides just reading the articles MysticCat, I also spoke to several friends and associates who are in the legal field. They thought that it could have an impact in court as well.
Well, maybe things are different in Florida -- always a possibility -- but I have some trouble imagining that a judge would let this in.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Kevin: This may have some impact on case-not only in court of public opinion but in court of law.
It will likely have no impact, unless the defense has literally no idea how to pick a jury.

Quote:
While this article may be far from perfect, it does bring out the point rather well.
The point that there's a Myspace page? You and I have far different expectations out of articles.

Quote:
At the very least, it would make one give the idea some thought
Giving ideas thought is always a good plan.

On a less snarky note, WHAT idea?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, maybe things are different in Florida -- always a possibility -- but I have some trouble imagining that a judge would let this in.
While perhaps self-serving:
From Washington Post article:
Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump said Wednesday that prosecutors could use Zimmerman’s MySpace comments against him.
“It’s not just speculation and innuendo. He has a history and a habit of profiling people,” Crump said. “He thinks certain things about certain racial groups.”

A statement posted on a Zimmerman defense site run by O’Mara concedes that the comments “will cast Mr. Zimmerman in a less-than-favorable light” and that they could become evidence in the case. The statement says there will be no comment on the MySpace statements for that reason, but it does confirm that the posts were by Zimmerman.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/old-ge...washingtonpost
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
MC is "in the legal field" as well ... also, when people say things like "are in the legal field" it usually means "they're not lawyers though." Are they? In Florida?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
MC is "in the legal field" as well ... also, when people say things like "are in the legal field" it usually means "they're not lawyers though." Are they? In Florida?
They are and it seems as if both of the attorneys directly involved are of the mind that this could be in play at trial.

Last edited by SOM; 05-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They are and it seems as if both of the attorneys directly involved are of the mind that this could be in play at trial.
No.

First, the attorney for the Martin family is completely uninvolved in the criminal proceedings. That opinion is less than worthless - it's likely intentionally slanted or misleading.

Second, here's the entire context for the defense attorney's statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman's Attorney O'Mara
The article details a number of statements that will cast Mr. Zimmerman in a less-than-favorable light especially considering the charges he faces. In that regard, it is possible that the statements Mr. Zimmerman made could be used as part of the trial, and therefore it is our policy not to comment directly on items that could become evidence.
It's a glorified "No Comment" - an easy way to address it without actually addressing it, or tying his client to anything. Don't assume that means it actually will become evidence, or even that O'Mara actually believes it has a significant chance to become evidence.

MC's given us an informed opinion: in most jurisdictions, most judges would find the posts more prejudicial than probative. Likely because, well, they're not at all probative on whether he shot a kid 7 years later, particularly given the decision to avoid Murder 1.

Last edited by KSig RC; 05-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While perhaps self-serving:
From Washington Post article:
Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump said Wednesday that prosecutors could use Zimmerman’s MySpace comments against him.
“It’s not just speculation and innuendo. He has a history and a habit of profiling people,” Crump said. “He thinks certain things about certain racial groups.”
Perhaps self-serving? And, as KSig RC (who, like Kevin, is also "in the legal field") said, not from anyone actually involved in the criminal case.

Aside from general irrelevance to elements of second degree murder, as a general rule evidence of past behavior is inadmissible to show that a defendant acted in a manner consistent with that behavior in committing the crime charged. In other words, the fact that someone did something in the past is not evidence that they did it on the occasion for which they're facing charges. Exceptions to that general rule can apply if the evidence serves some other purpose, such as to establish motive or because of real similarity between the past acts and the current one. Without something else, I don't see how evidence of things he said about Mexicans 7 years ago would meet this exception.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Perhaps self-serving? And, as KSig RC (who, like Kevin, is also "in the legal field") said, not from anyone actually involved in the criminal case.

Aside from general irrelevance to elements of second degree murder, as a general rule evidence of past behavior is inadmissible to show that a defendant acted in a manner consistent with that behavior in committing the crime charged. In other words, the fact that someone did something in the past is not evidence that they did it on the occasion for which they're facing charges. Exceptions to that general rule can apply if the evidence serves some other purpose, such as to establish motive or because of real similarity between the past acts and the current one. Without something else, I don't see how evidence of things he said about Mexicans 7 years ago would meet this exception.
Well it would seem fair to say that based on what you all have said or indicated here that unless one of you is directly involved in this case none of your POVs matters all that much either. I will put more faith into what the lawyers directly involved say or do than anyone here. The only POV that does will be the judge's and the jury's when all this comes together. In what will no doubt be two trials-Criminal and Civil.

And I should add that I place more faith in people that I know as family, friends, Brothers or business associates than unknown people in a social media setting.

Last edited by SOM; 05-02-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Kevin: This may have some impact on case-not only in court of public opinion but in court of law.
All I have to add to the previous comments is this: LOL.

Please just drop this. We don't need a Zimmerman news aggregation service here on GC. I am not at all concerned about what Zimmerman may or may not have said 7 years ago. For a variety of reasons, e.g., relevance and difficulty of authentication, this will never make it to the jury.

I frankly doubt this case ever even goes to a jury at this point.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
All I have to add to the previous comments is this: LOL.

Please just drop this. We don't need a Zimmerman news aggregation service here on GC. I am not at all concerned about what Zimmerman may or may not have said 7 years ago. For a variety of reasons, e.g., relevance and difficulty of authentication, this will never make it to the jury.

I frankly doubt this case ever even goes to a jury at this point.
LOL back at you Kevin-As far as I know-no one is forcing you to read this thread. A thread with almost 9,000 views. And a thread that someone else started.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well it would seem fair to say that based on what you all have said or indicated here that unless one of you is directly involved in this case none of your POVs matters all that much either. I will put more faith into what the lawyers directly involved say or do than anyone here. The only POV that does will be the judge's and the jury's when all this comes together. In what will no doubt be two trials-Criminal and Civil.

And I should add that I place more faith in people that I know as family, friends, Brothers or business associates than unknown people in a social media setting.
You're cute when you're mad.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
LOL back at you Kevin-As far as I know-no one is forcing you to read this thread. A thread with almost 9,000 views. And a thread that someone else started.
CAN I GET A FLOUNCE?!

Plz...
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
CAN I GET A FLOUNCE?!

Plz...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma