GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,367
1 members and 1,366 guests
FSUZeta

Old 03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NUPE4LIFE
Don't know if this is appropriate for this thread, but there is a new Verizon Wireless commercial where there are girls stepping and a drumline playing. The girls stepping are members of the Kappa Epsilon Chapter of DST. For more info visit kappaepsilon.com.
I saw that and was not sure if they were really in a sorority.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Yup, they go to FSU.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ykimber
Sorority sponsors book and clothing drive

By Candice Warren | Staff Writer

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Mighty Tau Chapter is sponsoring the Knowledge is Power Book Drive and the Sisters on the Move Business Clothing Drive every Wednesday during the month of April.

Book donations will be given to the Main Branch of the Detroit Public Library.

“We won't turn anything away if it's torn or ripped,” Tau member Juanta Coffman said about the books.

Coffman said that it was her idea to set the book drive's goal to 1,000 books. All types of books will be accepted, she said.

Coffman is coordinating the event, along with her soror, Jeanetta Ruckes. She mentioned that there are youth groups and homes that will take the books and clothing as they are.

The book and clothing drive has been in operation since March 30. It will continue until April 20. However, Coffman said that the sorority will still be collecting donations at any other chapter event until May 21.
Full Story
Old 04-20-2005, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: I can't sleep at night when you are on my mind. Billie Womack is on the radio saying if you think your lonely now... what a minute that is too deep. I have to change the station...
Send a message via AIM to reddawn18 Send a message via Yahoo to reddawn18
Found this on BlackNews.com

The Divine Legacy: Colors of Fashion - A One of a Kind Greek Fashion Show

Arlington, VA (BlackNews.com) - A new fashion show is on the rise to showcase the magnificent Divine 9, the nine black Greek letter organizations. This production, entitled The Divine Legacy: Colors of Fashion, is not your ordinary fashion show, it is a show with a twist!

Models will represent their Greek organizations and will rip the runway through music, dance, color and fashion. This is a new way for all black Greeks to come together in a positive way.

The show will allow the audience to engage in the legacy, historical achievements, and striking impact that the Divine 9 has had in Black America for decades.

Members of the Divine 9 are known for their acts of serving mankind, so this is a perfect opportunity for Greeks to collectively give back to the community, as a portion of the shows proceeds will be given to a charitable cause. This event is all about Unity and Empowerment.

Greeks from all over the country will reunite at this event to network, fellowship, and show support to their Sorors or Frat brothers.

The show is produced and directed by Howard University graduate, Raiquel Cole. She is a proud member of Alpha Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

There will be singing acts, dance routines, a step team performance, as well as other surprises. This is a show for all people of all ages to enjoy, comments Cole.

The first annual fashion show and luncheon will be held on Saturday, July 23, 2005 in Peachtree City (Atlanta), GA as a segment of The Empowerment Network conference (www.tenpower.com), a conference that was created to instill empowerment to all African American organizations.

All black Greeks are invited to participate in the show as models, dancers, singers and as featured fashion designers. Visit the fashion show website at www.geocities.com/tenfashionshow2005 or email tenfashionshow2005@yahoo.com for more information.

PRESS CONTACT: Raiquel Cole, tenfashionshow2005@yahoo.com, 513-295-1963
Old 04-28-2005, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Hi ladies,

I just wanted to say that Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. had their first probate show last week at Washington and Lee University. I know all of the new members except for one I think. It is a great group of 5 ladies all of whom are leaders on our campus. I am pretty good friends with two of them having worked with them in various organizations etc. I just wanted to let you know that although I am graduating I am sure that Delta Sigma Theta is going to make its mark on W&L! It is the first NPHC sorority on campus and it's high time we had one. Phi Beta Sigma has also just begun a chapter, so it is a new era here.

I hope this was an appropriate place to post this. Congrats on your new chapter!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Gwendolyn Boyd, 22nd National President of DST Receives Honorary Degree

Pennsylvania Gov. Edward G. Rendell will Deliver Commencement Address for Lincoln on Sunday, May 1, 2005
Lincoln will Graduate 375 Students and also Award Honorary Degrees to Gov. Rendell and Three Other Distinguished Leaders.

Pennsylvania Gov. Edward G. Rendell will deliver the Commencement Address and also receive an honorary degree as Lincoln University presents its 146th Commencement on Sunday, May 1, 2005.

In addition to Gov. Rendell, three other distinguished leaders will also receive honorary degrees. They are: Gwendolyn E. Boyd, an accomplished engineer, and the former National President of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., an international service organization composed of over 250,00 professional and educated women in over 950 chapters throughout the world; Dr. Henry H. Mitchell, a 19 41 Lincoln alumnus, noted theologian, college professor and author of numerous books on religion; and Wilbert A Tatum, a noted journalist and successful businessman, who owns Inner City Broadcasting Corp., which operates radio stations nationwide and the AMSTERDAM NEWS in New York City.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
TODD NAMED NEW N.C. A&T ATHLETICS DIRECTOR

GREENSBORO, N.C., MAY 4, 2005 - N.C. A&T Chancellor James C. Renick introduced DeLores “Dee” Todd as the University’s new director of intercollegiate athletics, effective June 15.

“We are very pleased that we were able to recruit Dee Todd for such an important role at A&T,” Renick said. “She has excellent experience and the right motivation to manage and lead our intercollegiate athletics program.”

For the past 14 years, Todd has served on various committees in the community including Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, chair of Greensboro Parks and Recreation Commission, North Carolina Juvenile Justice Commissioner, Board of Directors for Goodwill Industries, Mental Health Board of Directors, YMCA Board of Directors, Center for Creative Leadership Board of Directors, external vice president of Women’s Professional Forum and Board of Governors, Summit House of North Carolina. She also works on various NCAA committees.

Read the total story here.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Johnnetta B. Cole Establishes an Articulation Agreement with the Milwaukee Area

Soror Johnnetta B. Cole Establishes an Articulation Agreement with the Milwaukee Area Technical College

If there were a picture in the dictionary next to the word mentor, it would be Johnnetta B. Cole, who distinguished herself as a leader and educator as the first African-American female to lead Spelman College a little more than a decade ago. Cole is now the 14th president of Bennett College for Women in Greensboro, N.C. In her own right, she's a history maker: She was the first African-American to serve as chair of the board of United Way of America. She serves on the board of Merck & Co. Inc. and the Atlanta Falcons. She is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, the Links Inc. and the National Council of Negro Women. She now is reaching out as a mentor and educator to other women, particularly in Milwaukee, under an articulation agreement with the Milwaukee Area Technical College that will help women in the metropolitan area gain admission to Bennett. The agreement, signed April 20, will honor MATC credits toward a four-year degree at Bennett, now the fifth historically black college to enter such an arrangement with MATC. Cole was in Milwaukee recently and talked about the details with Journal Sentinel urban affairs reporter Leonard Sykes Jr.

Q. Is this agreement the first of its kind with an institution like MATC?

A. We have what we call articulation agreements with community colleges in our state. But this is the first time that Bennett College for Women has ventured beyond the state of North Carolina. And I'll tell you, we're very excited about it. We've got an agreement with Williams College, the top-notch liberal arts college in the country. And that centers around science. We've also got an agreement with Agnes Scott College, a women's college in Atlanta, Ga., where the agreement is around our respected teacher's education program. A third is with the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, where the agreement is around our women's studies program. What you hear me saying is that all these agreements operate around curricula. But what's exciting to me about this arrangement is we're not saying, "What about this field or that field?" We're saying, "Send us your students." They will have had an outstanding education at MATC, but when they come South into a small nurturing liberal arts college for women, something magical is going to happen.

Q. But this isn't for everyone, is it? It's really directed to women.

A. Clearly, we're not saying, "Come ye, come ye all." We're a women's college. So we're going to have to say to the (men) who might be interested, "Remember, MATC has an arrangement with Texas College (Tyler, Texas), with Lane College (Jackson, Tenn.) and with Miles (Birmingham, Ala.) and Paine (Augusta, Ga.) colleges." But when it comes to Bennett, the focus is on women.

Q. Which would be the same kind of deal here in Milwaukee at Alverno College, isn't that right?

A. Exactly. There are now in the United States - at least within the women's college coalition, including a few not in the coalition - 66 (schools). There was a time about, say, 20 or 30 years ago when there were maybe 300 women's colleges. What always strikes me is that one of the strengths in American higher education is the choice. Do you want to go to a community college, or a four-year institution? Is your preference a predominantly white school or a historically black college? Do you prefer maybe an all women's college? So fit becomes terribly important.

Q. That's true with almost every college, isn't it?

A. Right. Most colleges and universities, but not all, are doing the best they can to provide a good curriculum and quality education. But fit does matter. And I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens to the women who will leave this institution, which is technologically about as up-to-date as any I've seen, and come into a very small, nurturing black environment. My prediction is they will end up saying, "Wow. I had the best of both worlds."

Q. That's quite an advantage, isn't it? What I mean is, it's been a tradition of historically black colleges to send its students on to advanced degrees, right?

A. It is so true. And not just at Bennett. Let me give you a figure for all black folks in America. Of all African-Americans with a PhD, three-quarters did their undergraduate work at a historically black college. I don't have the figures at the top of my head, but we're talking about something like 70% of the country's black lawyers, 85% of the doctors, 90% of the federal judges. In other words, historically black colleges really educate on a baccalaureate level professional black America. It always leads me to say, if we didn't have historically black colleges and universities, we'd have to invent them, because there is something in these environments that not only educates but graduates our students.

http://www.blackgreeknetwork.com/blog/DeltaSigmaTheta
Old 05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Johnson IBM Technology Leader Shares Words of Wisdom in New Book

IBM Technology Leader Shares Words of Wisdom in New Book

AUSTIN, Texas – “Do not be so focused on the closed doors of opportunity that you cannot see the open windows around you,” says Sandra K. Johnson, Ph.D. Her new book, Inspirational Nuggets (now available through AuthorHouse), is a collection of words of wisdom designed to encourage and inspire people to reach their ultimate potential.

Johnson exemplifies the term “trailblazer.” The first black woman to earn a Ph.D. in electrical engineering, she became a research staff member at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in New York. She infuses Inspirational Nuggets with encouraging and uplifting words about navigating the maze called life, and offers nurturing commentary on spiritual development, relationships and self-improvement. Johnson’s own passion for life is evident on each page, and readers are reminded through her easy, conversational style that true strength comes from within.

“You will draw strength from these nuggets to excel in the many aspects of your life,” Johnson says. “The cemetery is full of unfulfilled dreams; do not let yours die with you. Take time to pamper and reward yourself for living. Think like you are entitled to whatever you want.”

Inspirational Nuggets is a thought-provoking guide that helps readers of all ages capture and enjoy life’s simple pleasures.

Johnson received her Bachelor of Science degree (summa cum laude) from Southern University in Baton Rouge, La., her master’s from Stanford and her Ph.D. from Rice University. She is also a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

She was the first black female ever elected as a member of the prestigious IBM Academy of Technology, and is currently the chief technology officer of global small and medium business for IBM Systems and Technology Group.

Her travels across the country as a public speaker, during which she encourages adults and children alike to be the best they can be and shares with them her words of wisdom, were the impetus for her to write Inspirational Nuggets.

AuthorHouse is the world leader in publishing and print-on-demand services. Founded in 1997, AuthorHouse has helped more than 20,000 people worldwide become published authors. For more information, visit www.authorhouse.com.

http://www.blackgreeknetwork.com/blo.../8/662495.html
Old 05-13-2005, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking with Activist Dr. Dorothy Irene Height, 10th National President of DST

Talking with Activist Dorothy Irene Height

Trademark stylish hat in place, legs crossed at the ankles just so, Dorothy Height spoke to a campus audience with clarity and the wisdom cultivated after watching -- and helping to shape -- decades of change in America.

Height's appearance, billed as "A Conversation with Dorothy Height" in which she sat opposite Ron Walters and answered questions, was an opportunity for many that couldn't be missed. "It is such an honor to have her here. I left work early&because I wanted to sit up front," said Janice B. White, with the Department of Resident Life.

Nearly 200 people came to the Colony Ballroom last week to hear the 92-year-old Height talk about her civil rights work, the role of women in that struggle and what she thought of today's state of affairs. Walters started by asking Height about her relationship with Mary McCloud Bethune and Eleanor Roosevelt, both of whom Height said, "outside of her mother, were the greatest impact on my life."

Bethune's name was mentioned often as Height talked about the example she followed while learning to become a leader. She is probably best known for her 40+ years leading the National Council of Negro Women (NCNW). Founded in 1935, the NCNW was the first national coalition of black women's organizations dedicated to improving the lives of all women. Height also spent several vital years with the YWCA and was named the first director of its Center for Racial Justice in 1965. She gave another decade to Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., as its national president. At one point, she held pivotal roles in all three organizations simultaneously.

No matter what organization she's worked through, Height's focus has been on improving lives, and giving the world positive examples of her fellow African Americans. In response to Bill Moyers' controversial "The Vanishing Family: The Crisis in Black America" that aired on television in 1986, Height did what she said Martin Luther King Jr. exhorted: she "put the people to action on their own behalf" and created the Annual Black Family Reunion celebration. Held on the National Mall, the well-attended and celebratory event observes its 20th anniversary this year.

Walters moved the discussion to the NCNW's international work. The organization has organized a number programs to empower women in Africa. Height says the outreach is a natural extension of NCNW's mission. "The essence of our work is helping people to help themselves. I've learned the importance of our being willing to work with people where they are."

Height's appearance was organized by the Offices of the President and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, with co-sponsorship from the associate provost for equity and diversity, Nyumburu Cultural Center, the University Honors Program and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Kappa Phi Chapter.

Height on:

How young people should learn to be leaders: "You have to be willing to volunteer...knowing that in helping others you find you help yourself." "Take your tasks seriously and yourself more lightly."

Black women: "Don't take yourselves so seriously as being so strong...you have to acknowledge that we have weaknesses and strengths..." "We African American women seldom do just what we want to do, but we always do what we have to do and we know how to get it done."

Advising presidents from Dwight D. Eisenhower to Bill Clinton: "I was fortunate to learn a lot from Mary McCloud Bethune on how to deal with powerful people... You cannot sit out until you get the one you'd like to have."

Condoleezza Rice: "Not since Mary Bethune...has an African American woman had the ability to move into the position of secretary of state of the United States. I may not agree with all of her political positions, but it's not for me to judge what she's going to do. But there are very few women of any race who have those qualifications. We have to recognize that."

The National Council of Negro Women's international efforts: "There is no foreign place over there. It's one world. We work with women and their governments, realizing that unless women are involved in it, there is no development."

The nation's efforts at spreading democracy: "To be at the place where we have to work harder to get the vote and get votes counted, how can we expect other countries to [follow our example] if we can't manage our own votes? It's part of the [civil rights] movement's unfinished business."

Her greatest achievement: "In three weeks I'll be 93, and I'm still at it."

http://www.outlook.umd.edu/article.cfm?id=1825
Old 05-17-2005, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority honors Carrie Halsell, first African-American graduate of Oregon State University

By Ashley Blake
The Daily Barometer

Addie Jean Hayes, keynote speaker and special recognition award winner, speaks at the first Carrie Halsell Celebration on Monday night in the MU Ballroom. Jacob Gregory
The Daily Barometer

Graduating from college is generally considered an accomplishment in itself.
And graduating nearly 80 years ago as an African-American woman is certainly an achievement worthy of celebration.
The ladies of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., held the first Carrie Halsell Celebration in the MU Ballroom on Monday night in honor of the first African-American to graduate from what was then as Oregon Agricultural College.
Halsell graduated in 1926 with a Bachelor of Science in commerce and went on to work as an educator on the East Coast. OSU's Halsell Hall on the south side of campus was named in her honor.
"We want people to really know who she is and what she accomplished, not only for the blacks here but for everyone else," said Mary Dyton, a junior in human services.
"It's heritage and it's history," said Keyoshia Vaughan, a senior in marketing. "It gives us the drive to want to do more -- not just resting in our ancestors' past but to do something to continue the legacy."
The majority of the audience members are part of Delta Sigma Theta, a historically black Greek letter organization founded in 1913 at Howard University.
Halsell was a member of the sisterhood and helped found the chapter at Virginia State University. Halsell was known for her dedication to education and community service, as well as her perseverance in an age of discrimination.
"This is someone who is notable, especially in regard to Oregon," Vaughan said.
Michelle Young opened the night with the Black National Anthem. A brief documentary of Halsell's life and accomplishments was also shown.
Keynote speaker Addie Jean Hayes received an appreciation award for her involvement in Delta Sigma Theta.
Hayes was initiated into the sisterhood in 1944 as a sophomore at Wiley College in Texas. She served as the far west regional director for a number of years, and her son graduated from OSU.
Vice Provost of Student Affairs Dr. Larry Roper also received special recognition.
The high honor of the night, the Carrie Halsell Commitment to Education and Public Service Award, was presented to Earlean Wilson-Huey, who works in the minority education office and directs the Ujima education office.
"She's kind of a mom away from home to a lot of students," said Lauren Smith, a junior in general science, pre-nursing. "She constantly demonstrates a commitment to education."
Recent University of Portland graduate and Delta Sigma Theta president Karletia Lewis also came down for the celebration.
"I hope the award itself will be a way to acknowledge those that have contributed to continuing education, especially those of African-American decent," she said.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Kudos to Soror Col. Stayce Harris

Congratulations Col Stayce Harris!

5/16/2005

Col Stayce Harris assumes Command of the 459th Air Refueling Wing, Andrews AFB, MD!!

On Behalf of the OBAP BOD and Executive Committee, we would like to congratulate Col Stayce Harris as she assumes Command of the 459th Air Refueling Wing, Andrews AFB, MD!!
Way to go Stayce!!

The change of command ceremony was held at Andrews AFB on 15May. I want to thank all of our OBAP members who can attend for this "history-making event".

Stayce -- We are all very Proud of You!

Karl
Capt Karl Minter
President, OBAP
Old 05-24-2005, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Post Announcement that was in this week's Jet...

The 200,000 member Delta Sigma Theta Sorority soon will present its second 'million dollar" gift to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, headed by president Theodore M. Shaw. Delta President Lousie Rice said the sorority's first gift was to Howard University.

FYI: It's in the Ticker Tape section.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow.....we're giving away another million.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, it made it into Jet that quickly!
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!