GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,428
2 members and 1,426 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking for an alternative

My fraternity just got kicked off campus for three years. We come back when I am a senior. These years are supposed to be some of the best years of my life. I have heard of people going "underground". What are our options as far as being able to rush and stuff like that. I have heard of people becoming service organizations and non-profit organizations. If anyone has advice or info that i can use without getting into any legal disputes please help me out.. THANKS!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

This isn't PCU and you aren't B&S. I suggest you get yourself involved in campus activities beyond Greek life. It's a chance to enjoy and discover new hobbies and make new friends.

Remember that if you do go "Underground", your HQ may be hesitant to give you a charter if you do so, as you're basically thumbing your nose at their disciplinary system.

Canadian
Old 09-08-2008, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Ya im not too concerned about gettin our charter back. they already leased our house as apartments and I dont think they will give it back anyways. so thats not my number one priority. I just want to be together as a fraternity again and want to rush and be as close to a real on-campus fraternity as we can.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 PM

It's not underground if you talk about it on the internet.

And if you can't figure it out, you probably can't pull it off.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't go "underground."

If you want a fraternity experience, but your fraternity is no longer allowed to be on campus, you do have an option: Start a local fraternity that has no resemblance to the national that has been kicked off. Create your own name, rituals, symbols, etc.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's not underground if you talk about it on the internet.

And if you can't figure it out, you probably can't pull it off.
I never said that is all i wanna do and its not like you know what school i go to or anything... I am just looking for something else my fraternity can do... underground was just one of the options.. I was just asking if i could get in legal trouble for using the old name or if there are any other alternatives.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPiF2k7 View Post
I never said that is all i wanna do and its not like you know what school i go to or anything... I am just looking for something else my fraternity can do... underground was just one of the options.. I was just asking if i could get in legal trouble for using the old name or if there are any other alternatives.
I'm sure you can get in trouble for using your old name. There are major legal issues there.

Also...it's really not that hard for someone to figure out what school you go to. SigPiF2k7 means you're a Sigma Pi initiated in Fall 2007. It wouldn't be that hard to figure out which school recently put a Sigma Pi chapter on suspension (or whatever you're on) for 3 years.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

do you know what you just got yourself into?

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 09-09-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: quoted post was deleted due to TOS violation
Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio View Post
do you know what you just got yourself into?
LOL. I was up till 3 AM and this dork isn't worth it.

But all I said was the truth.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ya im not too concerned about gettin our charter back. they already leased our house as apartments and I dont think they will give it back anyways. so thats not my number one priority. I just want to be together as a fraternity again and want to rush and be as close to a real on-campus fraternity as we can.
I think your priorities are out of line. It usually takes a major problem/incident for a group to be kicked off campus for 3 years, lose their charter and have their house leased out. Addressing that problem before it came to that extreme would have been my number one priority.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
II was just asking if i could get in legal trouble for using the old name or if there are any other alternatives.
Definately you could get in legal trouble for holding yourself out as a chapter of Sigma Pi if you are not.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

ya sorry to clarify i would not use the old name, the problem is people just consider us old sigma pi's i guess. so i dont really know what to do.. i would really like to do something these next three years and what i would really love to do is keep close with my brothers and be able to do what every other fraternity is doing. and that is expanding.... I could never imagine myself being around a better group of guys and would never of considered a different fraternity even knowing the outcome.. to clarify they accused us of hazing and underage drinkin and our nationals pulled our charter. just imagine your sorority or fraternity getting kicked off campus your freshman year and understand that its a hard thing to got through.In the past two years 2 fraternities and 1 sorority have been kicked off campus. we really just want to stay together, expand, and meet even more people. ANY ADVICE WILL HELP. criticism will not help. THANKS AGAIN
Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, you get an off campus house as your base, give yourself a club name, work as an unofficial club off campus. You'll have to recruit mainly guys that are already friends with brothers and kind of let them know that when you come back on campus they will all be initiated with your first pledge class. It's sketchy and you're going to get in even more trouble if you get caught, but that's the easiest way to do it. And you schedule parties with sororities, but absolutely do not represent yourself at all as underground Sigma Pi or hell will rain down on you for violating your sanctions.

But since you couldn't figure that out, I'm going to go ahead and echo the recommendation that you shouldn't do it.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 PM

First off, don't "use" a service fraternity or other group to stay together. It is extremely disrespectful.

Schools usually follow what the national does, so if your national saw fit to pull your charter, it's unlikely the school will back you in becoming a local or finding another group. Once in a while the 2 disagree, but not often.

And what I said about going underground still stands. If you have to ask how to do it then you probably shouldn't attempt it. GC is not as anonymous as you may think.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

tallgreekalum

The key question here is whether your school took action as well. If they did not, then you should be able to set up a local fraternity (using different name, ritual etc.) although some schools require NIC membership. After a number of years (ie, when any present Sigma Pis graduate), you would be free to affiliate with any NIC fraternity, if you so wished. Feel free to PM me if you want more advise)