GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,522
2 members and 2,520 guests
fmanning

Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
Ok before we get way off tangent, this is my boyfriend's brother and since I plan to marry my boyfriend, I continue to work on keeping quiet and being as non-judgemental as possible.

They're getting married on Sunday, Nov. 18. We still do not know what church or what time to be there (and I highly doubt getting an invitation). Apparently the guests (mostly family) should come to the last service so they don't miss the ceremony. That's b/c the pastor is squeezing them in after the last service and before he has to be somewhere at 1pm. Then we all get to go over to their house for warmed up Sam's Club appetizers and sheetcake.

It's his second marriage, her third and last time I checked the ceremony wasn't even going to include the children. I mean they'll be there, but nothing to include them in the blending of families.

Ah maybe I should post this in the "disaster weddings" thread afterwards.
This is sounding more and more stressful on you, SailorGirl, jeez! I think you said previously that "cash" hadn't worked well before -- did that mean that just giving money didn't go over well, or was it that it was actually cash? How about giving each kid one of those pre-loaded Visa cards you can get at your bank? They'll each have their own "debit"-type card to use on whatever they want, but it's not like tracking cash. If that's not an option, I second (or third) the zoo membership idea, you take care of the whole family in one shot and you can move on to the rest of your holiday shopping list. Because otherwise, are you expected to buy a wedding present for the brother & bride and also a holiday gift? Can't wait to read the wedding thread!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXO Alum View Post
I remember those days! I would like to hear the music much more if a) the lite music station didn't play it beginning Nov 1st (yes, all Christmas ALL the time -- geez, give Thanksgiving a chance people!) and b) they didn't try to put a rock edge on Away in a Manger like I heard yesterday on my contemporary Christian station

We have shopped for the kid pretty much all year, so he was taken care of for the most part. I got hubby's stuff done early as well. Now I am forced to either not tell him any hints & get who-knows-what or, tell him exactly what I want & spend yet another Christmas opening every gift knowing exactly what is inside Guys - girls are NOT hard to buy for - you just don't want to put the effort into it.

Everything is wrapped but can't go under the tree because of a certain lab puppy who thinks that the tree is her indoor playhouse (yes, she tries to climb THE tree!) The cats have never bothered the tree - none of my cats have actually - but the puppy thinks its fair game. We have the bottom half bare of ornaments now after we found her pulling them off one at a time & hiding them. Beneath our bed (don't ask me how she can still get under there - she is huge!) is like a treasure trove.

Here she is half in/half out of the tree!

I wish this is what my dog would do under the tree, unfortunately she likes to poop under it
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'll throw in one other thought -- get your boyfriend to talk to his brother and find out what these kids like or are interested in.

iTunes gift certificates? Make sure they have iPods first. (Believe it or not, not all kids have them.)
I can say though that my son still liked Itunes gift certificates before he got his ipod because he could get songs he liked and easily make mix CDs to listen to. If they don't have a cd burner, now that would be a problem!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
PLEASE add this to the "worst wedding you ever attended " thread after the blessed event . . .
Co-sign. There is just so much potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I can say though that my son still liked Itunes gift certificates before he got his ipod because he could get songs he liked and easily make mix CDs to listen to. If they don't have a cd burner, now that would be a problem!
Very good point.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

fruitcake for them all!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

lo, FSUZeta - that's one way to make sure your gift is NEVER forgotten!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

How much would a really good fake tree cost? Two of my sisters (one with allergies, the other asthma) can't breathe when a live tree is in the house, and my mother --a Christmas purist--thinks the fake trees in the stores look tacky. I figure if I can find a nice looking one that's not too expensive, she might cave in so folks can breathe.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't priced one in a few years, but there are some really good-looking fakes out there, and the pre-lighted ones are even better. All you do is pop it up, plug it in, and fluff the branches and you're ready to decorate.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Soooo....the Fish station in Atlanta is playing Christmas music all day today (Halloween). And I listened to it all the way to Fayetteville to the doctor's office. And...guess it did something for me, because I ended up buying all of my daughter's teachers' Christmas presents today!! School, church, piano, tennis...done!!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
How much would a really good fake tree cost? Two of my sisters (one with allergies, the other asthma) can't breathe when a live tree is in the house, and my mother --a Christmas purist--thinks the fake trees in the stores look tacky. I figure if I can find a nice looking one that's not too expensive, she might cave in so folks can breathe.
Good fakes usually cost money One of ours was mail order from a catalog and the other was just an expensive tree that my husband got from Dillards. Both look real though. We cant have real trees either because of mine and my step-daughter's allergies.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
Good fakes usually cost money One of ours was mail order from a catalog and the other was just an expensive tree that my husband got from Dillards. Both look real though. We cant have real trees either because of mine and my step-daughter's allergies.
I was just at Costco and saw some really nice ones. I think they were around $200. They weren't the pipe cleaner looking branches, they were really realistic looking molded plastic that looked like actual pine needles. Except for the non-pine smell I couldn't even tell it was fake from a few feet away.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

there are lots of beautiful, realistic looking artificial trees out there. when looking at the cost, you need to divide the cost of the tree by what you pay yearly for a real tree. say you pay $60 a year for a real tree. you could easily get 10 years out of a fake before it begins to look shop worn. if you spend $300 for a fake, you will have 5 years(possibly more) of free trees.

my tree is over 10 years old and still looks great when decorated. friends have actually gone up to it and touched it to see if it was real.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
I can not wait to watch Christmas catoons and A Christmas Story!!!

"You'll shoot your eye out, You'll shoot your eye out!!"
Absolutely, Sister Greek.

It's not Christmas until you've watched "A Christmas Story"

"......Oooooooh, Fudge"

"Ra, ra, ra, ra, ra,.....ra, ra, ra ra" lol
Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawn Liebowitz View Post
Bah Humbug - it's too early for Christmas! Especially for us grinches...
I am not a grinch, but my family has a tradition....no talk of Christmas until Santa arrives at Macy's during the Macy's day parade. My brother and I would have our lists in our hands so as soon as he showed up, we could turn it over to our parents. It didn't help that they would start teasing that Santa was arriving in the beginning of the broadcast.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
We got a 1st Christmas ornament as part of a wedding gift. Can't wait to get a tree this year!