GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,679
3 members and 1,676 guests
Sarak24034

Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternité au Quebec et en France - Quebec and France Fraternity

Salut,
Sigma Theta Pi est la fraternité la plus importante dans le systeme universitaire francophone. Nous ouvrons régulièrement de nouveaux chapter dans des université francophone. Si vous etes interessé a nous joindre ou a créer un chapter, n'hesitez pas...

Hi,
Sigma Theta Pi is the most important fraternity in the french-speaking universities. If you want to join us or create a chapter, contact us...

sigma-theta-pi.com
Old 10-11-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

This is an honest question, but are there any other fraternities on Francophone campuses? I thought it was restricted to Anglophone North America.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Nope!
I know Sigma Delta Phi in Cannes and Nice (France) [http://www.sigmaphidelta.fr], and Phi Delta Theta in Université Laval of Quebec City (Canada) [http://www.scom.ulaval.ca/Au.fil.des...raternite.html]
Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 PM

According to canadiangreeks.com, there is a Sigma Theta Pi at Universite de Montreal (a Francophone university).
I will make a giant assumption that it is not a NIC fraternity, but "a Canadian local with more than 1 chapter" (if that makes sense). Any NIC fraternity (i.e. which are generally American founded) would likely have to expend a lot of efforts to get their materials (ritual, pledge manuals, etc.) translated into French.

We also have Greeks at these Quebec universities, but these are all Anglo schools:
Bishop's
Concordia
McGill

University of Ottawa (in Ontario, but a bilingual school) has a smattering of Greeks as well. (locals, but no Sigma Theta Pi).

If there is a Phi Delta Theta chapter at Universite Laval, the canadiangreeks.com website does not list it nor appear to know about it.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 10-11-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if the Phi Delta Theta the OP is talking about is the NIC fraternity. And the OP is from Sigma Theta Pi, which according to wikipedia has multiple chapters in France as well.

ETA: That makes me wonder why there are no Canadian founded fraternities in the NIC.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I wonder if the Phi Delta Theta the OP is talking about is the NIC fraternity.
I am wondering about that as well.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
I am wondering about that as well.
No the only chapter that Phi Delta Theta has in Quebec is McGill. Interesting though.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No the only chapter that Phi Delta Theta has in Quebec is McGill. Interesting though.
In the URL, from University Laval archives:
"L'Université Laval reconnaît depuis 1995 Phi Delta Bêta", translation "The University Laval reconized since 1995 Phi Delta Bêta". (Founder: Jean-Michel Blais from Phi Delta Thêta of McGill U.)

Quote:
I will make a giant assumption that it is not a NIC fraternity, but "a Canadian local with more than 1 chapter" (if that makes sense).
It's an international fraternity with 2 country: Canada and France (maybe a third country in 2010)

Quote:
Any NIC fraternity (i.e. which are generally American founded) would likely have to expend a lot of efforts to get their materials (ritual, pledge manuals, etc.) translated into French.
You think NIC would like to get our materials?? That's could be interesting to colaborate...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmathetapi View Post
You think NIC would like to get our materials?? That's could be interesting to colaborate...
I don't know what you are referring to by "interesting", but I am certainly not suggesting that one's ritual be shared around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmathetapi View Post
Nope!
I know Sigma Delta Phi in Cannes and Nice (France) [http://www.sigmaphidelta.fr], and Phi Delta Theta in Université Laval of Quebec City (Canada)
Looks like this is a typo, and that you meant to write Phi Delta BETA is at University Laval, not Phi Delta THETA.

Having representation overseas has been in existence for some time: Kappa Sigma has roots in Italy, and for a while there some Greeks at University of Maryland - Mannheim, Germany, etc. (I think it was Tri Sigma). Some NPHC groups have chapters here: Germany, Haiti, Liberia, the Far East and West Africa.

Quote:
ETA: That makes me wonder why there are no Canadian founded fraternities in the NIC.
I think for a while, there was "Phi Kappa Pi", but I think it's gone kaput now, and I don't think it was an NIC. http://www.canadiangreeks.com/directory/phikpi.html

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 10-13-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think for a while, there was "Phi Kappa Pi", but I think it's gone kaput now, and I don't think it was an NIC. http://www.canadiangreeks.com/directory/phikpi.html
They appear to still be around, if not in good shape. They never were NIC though I don't think, and I think they might be the only Canadian fraternity.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
They appear to still be around, if not in good shape. They never were NIC though I don't think, and I think they might be the only Canadian fraternity.
They are the only Canadian founded fraternity in existence and nope, I can't imagine that they are in great shape, expansion wise.... I use the moniker, "a local with more thean one chapter"
Old 10-15-2009, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternities on Francophone Campuses

Hi,

I am an alumnus, former president etc of the Toronto Chapter of Phi Kappa Pi Fraternity.

We have a very active chapter at McGill University on Hutchinson.

For more info visit www.phikappapi.ca or contact me through the forum and I can forward you to the new membership coordinator for that chapter.

Phi Kappa Pi was founded in 1913 and despite numerous offers and requests over the last 95+ years from US Fraternities has remained Canada's Only National Fraternity.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris807 View Post
We have a very active chapter at McGill University on Hutchinson.
Oh yes they're active, i was here few weeks ago for a really good party...
10 chapters in Canada and France
Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Since few month we openned few new chapters:

Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John's, NL Canada
Université de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, QC Canada
Université Laval, Quebec City, QC Canada
10 chapters in Canada and France