GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,565
0 members and 2,565 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Story! :)

Hi Everyone! I went through recruitment last year, but I still wanted to share my story and to hear everyone's opinions!

There are three NPC sororities on my campus. I go to a state university where there isn't a big Greek system. I love reality TV shows, so I will call the three sororities:

American Idol
Project Runway
America's Next Top Model

There were six days of recruitment - Night #1, Night #2, Night #3, Night #4, Preference, and Bid Day. I already had a preference for American Idol, because from what I knew about them, I liked them already! I didn't care for Project Runway, because from what I knew, they didn't really really seem all that "together" in terms of organization and visibility on campus compared to the other two. I was so excited for recruitment!

Night #1 - This night was more of an informal night just to meet the girls and to see whether we want to come back the rest of the nights.

American Idol - They were first! They bumped so fast, so I met a lot of girls already. They were sooo cute! I liked them a lot already!

America's Next Top Model - One girl talked to me and a few others girls. At first, the conversation was fine, but then conversation topic turned into something I had no connection to. Since the other girls did, they kept talking about it. I felt really left out already. Halfway through, the president came who was really nice, so I tried to stay positive.

Project Runway - I wasn't feeling the best after the last group, but it turned around. They were so nice and so down to earth!

That was the end of the night, I was really excited for recruitment already. Since I didn't have to cut any of them until before preference, I didn't really think too hard about it since I didn't get enough of a feel, but I ranked them as:

1. American Idol
2. Project Runway
3. America's Next Top Model

Night #2 is next!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I love Project Runway and ANTM
Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Im reading and would just like to say BOOO AI, YAY ANTM!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

May I ask why there were so many nights of parties when there were only 3 NPC organizations?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 :)

ladybug12 - I honestly have no idea why there are some many nights of recruitment for only three NPC sororities. I guess they just wanted to make it a week's worth of recruitment events.

[B]Night #2[/B]
America's Next Top Model - I honestly wasn't feeling so great after the first night, but I tried to stay positive because I realized it may be only that one girl I met I didn't click with. When I walked in, they had a really cute formation. The first girl I talked to I liked. The second girl seemed into it for a minute, but lost interest quickly. The next girl I talked to didn't seem interested at all. It seemed like she wanted look for someone else for me to talk to right away. I felt really hurt by these two girls. The last girl I talked to was nice, but we lost things to talk about quickly.

Project Runway - These girls were super down-to-earth and nice. These girls definitely didn't seem like the typical sororities girls stereotypes, which I liked.

American Idol - I was REALLY excited for them after Night #1! They bumped so quickly so I was able to meet a lot of the girls. They were all so sweet and nice. They seemed SOOOO polished and perfect. I definitely could see myself here and being sisters with these girls.

That was the end of the night. Again, I didn't have to choose any cut, but I ranked them as:

1. American Idol
2. Project Runway
Old 10-03-2009, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
May I ask why there were so many nights of parties when there were only 3 NPC organizations?
We did that when my sorority was still a local. A lot of local groups do it that way on my campus, too. Not sure why. Maybe so they could call it Rush Week and take up all the weekdays.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Night #3

Night #3 - I really feel like I was getting a feel of the sororities by this night. There was a lot of tent talk going around by the PNMs. Most PNMs really liked America's Next Top Model and American Idol, but not Project Runway. Project Runway didn't have any many girls and they seemed kind of "dorky" compared to the other two.

Project Runway - They didn't seem as organized as they could've been, but there was definitely a close sisterhood between these girls that I didn't get as much as the other two. I could see myself being one of them.

America's Next Top Model - I went to the same side of the room again, so I talked to a lot of the same girls as I did in Night #2. I liked the first girl I talked to. Then, I talked to the girl that blew me off the night before and she did it AGAIN by saying, "I actually talked to you yesterday, so I'm gonna have you talk to someone else." Lastly, I talked the same girl as the night before, who was nice but didn't really connect with. We talked a little more, but there were definitely awkward silences in the conversation.

American Idol - My favorite!!! This night confirmed that I definitely wanted to be an American Idol! I loved their theme and the girls! They seemed so perfect and pretty!

Again, I choose:
1. American Idol
2. Project Runway

So, it seems like I was pretty set on the order, right? Or maybe not? Stay tuned.....
Old 10-04-2009, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Ouch about the ANTM girl, it seems like there's always one but to get it twice is hard. AI seems like the frontrunner here but for some reason I find myself pulling for Project Runway. Looking forward to Prefs!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Loving your story! Please continue
Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 4 :)

Day 4 - So, this was the final night before preference night and I was super excited! Again, tent talk was that PNMs LOVED American Idol and America's Next Top Model, but couldn't see themselves in Project Runway because they weren't the typical sororities girls and weren't as girly as the other two.

Project Runway - I liked them through recruitment despite what other PNMs said. I liked that they were down-to-earth and not the "typical" sorority girls. However, this night, I didn't really feel a connection to the girls I met during bumping.

American Idol - Once again, I LOOOOVVVVEDD them! I definitely wanted to be an American Idol!

America's Next Top Model - Determined not to talk to the same girls again, I went to a different side of the room this time and it worked! The first girl I talked to I LOVED! The second girl I talked to was cool. The third girl wasn't into the conversation at all.

The end of the night, I KNEW I wanted to be in American Idol for sure! I liked Project Runway throughout the week, but this night, I didn't really feel a connection to them. I loved one girl in ANTM, so I kind of felt she changed my view of the group and I wanted to like them SOOO much!

This is where I felt like I let tent talk influence my decision. Since I wanted to like them so much, I let my connection with one girl in ANTM overrule my connections with so many girls in Project Runway. Most PNMs didn't like Project Runway, so I kind of didn't want to either.

In the end, I ranked them for preference as:
1. American Idol
2. America's Next Top Model
3. Project Runway
Old 10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmm... a little twist at the end, there.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Woo!! Ready for Pref!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Preference Night!

So, I didn't get that dreaded phone call so I was glad that I was invited to at least one party

I got there that night and I was told I was going to party #2, but she wouldn't tell me which sorority it was. I was REALLY hoping it was for American Idol that I actually believed that it for American Idol. Since I could go up to two parties, I wasn't invited by two of them. I assumed right away that America's Next Top Model, since I didn't really have the best connections with them, so I really too bummed out by that.

I waited until Party #2 and I was sooo excited for what I was hoping to be the pref party for American Idol! When I got there, I realized that the party was for Project Runway! I was sooooo hurt/upset/frustrated that I didn't get invited to American Idol's pref party.

I was preffed by a really, really cool girl I met on Night #3. I really liked her and the conversation was good, but I don't think we 100% clicked. During the ceremony, it was beautiful, it seemed so heartfelt, and I could definitely see the strong sisterhood between these girls. However, during the entire ceremony, I was thinking, "Why wasn't I invited by American Idol? Why didn't they like me? Did I say anything wrong? Is there anything else I could have told them?" This completely stopped me from really feeling a connection to the ceremony at Project Runway.

After the ceremony, I was still so hurt that I didn't get invited by American Idol, because I wanted to be an American Idol sooooo badly. When it came time to fill out the bid card, I was thinking of not joining a sorority. I didn't really connection to the girls I met on Night #4, nor I did I click with the girl that preffed me.

Then, I really thought about it. If Project Runway chose me for their preference, that meant they saw something in me that they liked. Plus, I really liked them the first three nights. I also thought, when I get into a large group of people, when am I ever gonna click with every single person I meet?

Even though, I was still upset that American Idol didn't choose me, I decided to put Project Runway as #1 on my bid card.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day! :)

So Bid Day was here! I didn't get that phone call, so I went to the room where they told us to meet. All the girls who were offered bids were there. At the count of three were told to open our envelopes. I opened mine and I got a bid from Project Runway!

When it was time for all the girls to run out to their new sisters, I have to admit that I was envious of the girls who were running out to American Idol and I was still upset by the fact they didn't choose me. However, I was still psyched for my bid to Project Runway!

When I ran out, it felt really good and the girls were just so welcoming! I knew Project Runway was right for me!

One year later....I'm still a member of Project Runway and I love it! I was definitely right about the strong sisterhood I felt about these girls during recruitment. I really feel like we have the strongest sisterhood of the three NPC sororities on my campus. Also, I love the fact we aren't the "typical" sorority girls, which I am not, so I really feel at home. After getting to know the other sororities better outside of recruitment, I liked them all a lot but I realize they weren't really the right fit for me, so I feel not being invited to pref by American Idol and ANTM was actually a blessing in disguise. I know that I have made friends/sisters for life and that's all that matters!!

My advice for anyone going through rush or will rush in the future - Don't let tent talk influence your decision, even if it is an organization other PNMs aren't too keen on. It's YOUR decision and not theirs. You have a different personality than they do; what you like might not be what they like. I almost let tent talk ruin the awesome experience I'm having. Also, your second choice in the end may just be the right choice. Even though I didn't get my first choice, I'm glad I didn't because another choice was the right one for me. Just because you may be cut from your first choice, don't drop out right away. Recruitment is a short time to get to know girls and the best choice may not be so obvious at first.

So, just to let you know Project Runway is..........................................

PHI SIGMA SIGMA!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

how wonderful!! congratulations to you and phi sig.