GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,139
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zabyanusasdo530
» Online Users: 908
0 members and 908 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreek2009 View Post
Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!
Please tell me you cut her that night. Who would actually say that?!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!
I would never, ever have said that... but I definitely remember thinking it during recruitment. If you step back and look at the situation objectively, a room full of college age women decorating paper bags/bookmarks/greeting cards/whatever with glitter and puffy paint is pretty weird. Now that I'm on the other side, I know how hard it is to come up with a cheap, quick, fun and useful philanthropy craft that 200 girls can do. Oh, recruitment...
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
I would never, ever have said that... but I definitely remember thinking it during recruitment. If you step back and look at the situation objectively, a room full of college age women decorating paper bags/bookmarks/greeting cards/whatever with glitter and puffy paint is pretty weird. Now that I'm on the other side, I know how hard it is to come up with a cheap, quick, fun and useful philanthropy craft that 200 girls can do. Oh, recruitment...
Yeah, I think overall that the philanthropy round is a classic case of "it sounded really good on paper" but that hasn't quite translated in the fashion it was supposed to. I doubt that many of the rushees leave the parties wanting to know more or get involved with the philanthropy...and the charities are left with tons and tons of glittery bookmarks.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Not Greek related, but I just experienced something similar: I work for an online vintage fashion company, and we do lots of photo shoots for our inventory. Yesterday I was assisting with a shoot and we had this cocky young male model. I immediately could tell I wouldn't like him. He was extremely full of himself the whole time, and at the end of the shoot he asks, "So like, besides costumes and stuff, do people actually buy this stuff?" Jerk!

Anywho, I'm glad this got bumped, I hope to hear some new crazy stories soon!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

sometimes I think we should be allowed to go off campus and actually DO something with rushes for our philanthropy other than put glitter on pillow cases.

Back to weird rush stories... Last spring we had a girl come through rush who was a transgender. She made sure to put it right on her application a couple times, which seemed a little strange. Anyway, she ended up getting cut from all the houses first round. She wrote Panhel a nasty letter implying discrimination... but when we asked all the Rush Chairs about it, most of them didn't even know she was transgender, they cut her because she was a junior with terrible grades... it was a really awkward situation.

On the same topic, my boyfriend is an AEPi and earlier that same year I went to a few of their informal rush parties last fall. I was talking up his house to a bunch of PNM's and it somehow came up that I was in a sorority. One of them asked me, with a very staright face, out of nowhere if he got a sex change could he rush DPhiE? I tried to laugh it off, but he kept asking untill all I could do was stammer "I don't know" and walk away... Needless to say he didn't get a bid.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bdphie View Post
sometimes I think we should be allowed to go off campus and actually DO something with rushes for our philanthropy other than put glitter on pillow cases.
I concur. I think a Habitat for Humanity thing involving all the sororities working together would be far more beneficial.

/tangent

LOL at the transgender, but that same type situation happens with lots of different groups. "You cut me just because I'm ____!" No, we cut you because you had a terrible personality. Jerkiness is an equal opportunity employer.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I concur. I think a Habitat for Humanity thing involving all the sororities working together would be far more beneficial.

/tangent

LOL at the transgender, but that same type situation happens with lots of different groups. "You cut me just because I'm ____!" No, we cut you because you had a terrible personality. Jerkiness is an equal opportunity employer.
Haha, I love this!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bdphie View Post
Could someone explain to this guy (not transgendered) who never participated in NPC rush ('cause that's what it was many years ago when I was in college) why crafts are done on philanthropy night? I mean, I have a feeling I'd be thinking the same thing as gogreek2009's PNM. I hope I wouldn't say it, but I bet I'd be thinking it.

So what's the idea behind it?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
The original idea was to involve the PNMs with the chapter members in something meaningful and of use to the chapter's philanthropy. However, the problem in execution has become that its hard to comeup with something useful, that is easy to make, can be made expertly with minimal instruction, can be made while holding a conversation, and is of real use to the philanthropy.

Again, something that looked good on paper .. creating something for the philanthropy .. but not so good in practice.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

/tangent
I've heard of some universities that, instead of an all Greek meet-and-greet/BBQ/info session, etc. participate in a community philanthropy project where the PNMs can come and participate while meeting Greek members and learn about their organizations while working for the philanthropy. It sounds like a great idea that I'd like to see happen at my university.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
t and we had this cocky young male model. I immediately could tell I wouldn't like him. He was extremely full of himself the whole time, and at the end of the shoot he asks, "So like, besides costumes and stuff, do people actually buy this stuff?" Jerk!
That sounds like a faux pas that they would do on ANTM and then get bitched out in judging about pissing off clients.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
That sounds like a faux pas that they would do on ANTM and then get bitched out in judging about pissing off clients.
Haha, that's actually what I thought of when it happened!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me.

A PNM is a guest in the sorority's house. (Doesn't matter if the recruitment party is actually in the chapter's house, in a function room or classroom on campus, or anywhere else.) When you're a guest in a family member's or friend's house, it's the height of rudeness to say to your host, "Oh, these hors d'oeuvres suck, did your five-year-old kid make them?" or "Ewww, why did you decorate your living room in bright orange with purple trim?" Same with recruitment - it's the height of rudeness to say to a sister, "Your decor sucks!" or "Ugh, your rush t-shirts are fugly!" or "This is a stupid craft." If you don't like it, bite your tongue and get through the party. If you can't do that, maybe you should rethink whether sorority membership is for you.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Could someone explain to this guy (not transgendered) who never participated in NPC rush ('cause that's what it was many years ago when I was in college) why crafts are done on philanthropy night? I mean, I have a feeling I'd be thinking the same thing as gogreek2009's PNM. I hope I wouldn't say it, but I bet I'd be thinking it.

So what's the idea behind it?
In addition to what 33girl and AZ-AlphaXi said, I think another reason the philanthropy round was created was to get away from "frills". At my alma mater it replaced what was skit round. While I don't think the women mind not practicing forever on a skit, it is a big ole PITA to find a philanthropy project that's cheap and yet needed by an organization in mass quantities.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi View Post
Please tell me you cut her that night. Who would actually say that?!
Actually, I don't think she was. I'm pretty sure she made it to pref rounds (how she did - I have NO idea) but I never did see her at any of the sororities on bid day - so I'm assuming she was cut after prefs.

Also, I agree with thinking the same thing about it being too much during pref rounds - I did too. I was sick of coloring or putting glitter glue on pillowcases. But I wouldn't have ever stated that out loud. Each girl is entitled to her own opinion, but I think that was just overkill.

I was offended the most when she said our philanthropy was 'stupid'. We as sorority women all hold our philanthropies close to our heart, so it's like a slap in the face when someone says that. At least I think so.