GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,110
1 members and 1,109 guests
aradativanovay8

Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

No what You did was called me ignorant and rolled your eyes at me and thought I wasn't going to call you out on it and respond intelligently to your point. I guess you assumed I was just pulling my info out of thin air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULater View Post
I crossed in a different region I am currently active in, and have met with many sisters across the nation. yes, I am non latina, but that does not mean I don't understand that LTA is a latin organization, nor do I ever want Latin to be dropped from our name. I already said I have no qualms about that why are you trying to use it as an argument? I just said that what you specifically wrote came across as rather limiting to me, and I wanted to clarify that we do a lot of things geared towards the universal woman, not just the latin community.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch2tf View Post
No what You did was called me ignorant and rolled your eyes at me and thought I wasn't going to call you out on it and respond intelligently to your point. I guess you assumed I was just pulling my info out of thin air.

i only said you were ignorant to SOME of the facts, NOT ALL (I said you were half correct, did I not?). why are you are picking and choosing and taking out of context what I wrote?

I bolded the things in your statements that I had a problem with, said you were half correct, and tried to show why.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm responding from my phone right now when I get home andx in front of the computer I will properly respond.
Quote:
i only said you were ignorant to SOME of the facts, NOT ALL (I said you were half correct, did I not?). why are you are picking and choosing and taking out of context what I wrote?

I bolded the things in your statements that I had a problem with, said you were half correct, and tried to show why.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm responding from my phone right now when I get home andx in front of the computer I will properly respond.

you know, i do apologize with what I said, and using , I guess I was frustrated by the fact that there are a lot of people out there that only perceive my org as promoting and helping the latin community, when you look on every level, national, regional, and chapter-wise, we are doing a lot of things that are promoting more than just the latin community, but also trying to promote and and help the plight of all women worldwide. My chapter's philanthropy is Equality, which works through Equality Now!, an agency for women and children who obviously are not given some of the most basic human rights. If you go to our national website, and look under philantrophic service regionally, you can see each chapter has a different, but often related to women and children, philanthropy, and only a few chapter focuses specifically on the latino community.

Looking back, I do feel that I am being picky about your wording, but I really don't want there to be a continued misconception that all LTAs do relate to and service the latino community, but that it includes other things.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
you know, i do apologize with what I said, and using , I guess I was frustrated by the fact that there are a lot of people out there that only perceive my org as promoting and helping the latin community, when you look on every level, national, regional, and chapter-wise, we are doing a lot of things that are promoting more than just the latin community, but also trying to promote and and help the plight of all women worldwide. My chapter's philanthropy is Equality, which works through Equality Now!, an agency for women and children who obviously are not given some of the most basic human rights. If you go to our national website, and look under philantrophic service regionally, you can see each chapter has a different, but often related to women and children, philanthropy, and only a few chapter focuses specifically on the latino community.

Looking back, I do feel that I am being picky about your wording, but I really don't want there to be a continued misconception that all LTAs do relate to and service the latino community, but that it includes other things.
If you haven't already done so, you may want to go back through and read this thread from the beginning. You've come in the midst of a conversation that's been going on for some time and the issues you bring up have been discussed at length.

Check out what's been said already so you can understand where folks are coming from.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

there are 500 posts, so i was only reading a couple of pages at the beginning, and then went to the end. i guess i should read the middle. if I misquoted someone, then I am sorry, but all I was trying to do was to correct someone for claiming that my org was servicing the latin community without a word otherwise in that one post I read. I do apologize for the way I said it, because there are definitely better ways to say it, but this is my org, and i love it, and don't want to see those statements put out there that may make people, especially non-greeks, continue to perceive us in a certain way.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's cool if a black girl wants to join LTA (just using them as an example not saying they are culprits of this)...
CULater, maybe you missed this part?

Just sayin...

Old 01-21-2008, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
it is a Latina sorority, period. They were founded as a latina org, they service the latino community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
CULater, maybe you missed this part?

Just sayin...
I didn't miss it, I was trying to point out what I bolded because I wish Ch2tf would not have made it seem like that was all we did...the end all be all. And like I said, maybe I was being a little picky, and have not read throughout this thread to get a feel of what Ch2tf was meaning, but if I read something like that, of course I will try to show that it is not completely correct. I am not arguing about anything other than that.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

BGLOs' primary purposes are to service the black and African diasporic communities and these communities' concerns. That does not mean that we are not involved in social issues or service-bases that nonblacks partake in. It also does not mean that all of our members have to black, as long as the nonblack members don't think our principles, goals, and target groups will change for them.

CULater is acting like saying "they service the Latina community" is a bad word. She seems like multiculturalism and integration that has gone horribly wrong.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
CULater is acting like saying "they service the Latina community" is a bad word. She seems like multiculturalism and integration that has gone horribly wrong.
I have found through GC and offline interactions that LGLO members who are not Latino/a are threatened by the perception that the organization they have chosen to join is restricted to a single "ethnicity." This attitude only serves to reinforce the concerns of older members who are concerned about the future of their organizations.

I've seen this same scenario play out among BGLOs - as well as others of course - but, as you've pointed out, anyone who is qualified and invited may join an organization but he/she shouldn't waste energy trying to change the purpose set out by the founders.

Anyone who joins a sorority needs to understand the history of the organization and the perception of the general public. Those are important factors in determining if a particular organization is what you want to pursue. It is for this reason that you see Black women joining NPCs. Different organizations appeal to different people, regardless of any perceived external connection one may have with a particular organization.

There is no shame in being in a Latina sorority. For heaven's sake, it was the Latino Greek Movement that opened the doors for many other organizations (AGLO, MCGLO, GLBTGLO, etc.) to be founded. Why would you want to detract from that important history?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I have found through GC and offline interactions that LGLO members who are not Latino/a are threatened by the perception that the organization they have chosen to join is restricted to a single "ethnicity." This attitude only serves to reinforce the concerns of older members who are concerned about the future of their organizations.

I've seen this same scenario play out among BGLOs - as well as others of course - but, as you've pointed out, anyone who is qualified and invited may join an organization but he/she shouldn't waste energy trying to change the purpose set out by the founders.

Anyone who joins a sorority needs to understand the history of the organization and the perception of the general public. Those are important factors in determining if a particular organization is what you want to pursue. It is for this reason that you see Black women joining NPCs. Different organizations appeal to different people, regardless of any perceived external connection one may have with a particular organization.

There is no shame in being in a Latina sorority. For heaven's sake, it was the Latino Greek Movement that opened the doors for many other organizations (AGLO, MCGLO, GLBTGLO, etc.) to be founded. Why would you want to detract from that important history?
I agree with all of this. CU Later has embarked on her own little campaign that seems utterly ridiculous.

I have seen nonblack members of a particular BGLO organization who have said things like "this is an organization that advances human issues--not the issues of a particular race of people--our founders would not have wanted that." Oh...really?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I have seen nonblack members of a particular BGLO organization who have said things like "this is an organization that advances human issues--not the issues of a particular race of people--our founders would not have wanted that." Oh...really?
The organization in question.....its colors rhyme with "moo" and "height?"
Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Who woulda thunk it?!?!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
why u had to reread that a few times lol...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I am not taking anything at all away from what was said. I said what she said was HALF RIGHT, because since the BEGINNING, my organization has always supported and uplifted the UNIVERSAL WOMAN, and this concept has always been a part of our organization, even from our founders.

I guess what I am trying to say is for example...our principles are Unity, Love, and Respect. If all you mention is my org is all about unity, of course I am going to pipe up and say that we are also about Love, and Respect.