GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,406
0 members and 2,406 guests
No Members online

Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Yeah, this saddens me too, especially when hazing incidents (not that there should be any) are far and few in between compared to the many chapters we all have in the NPHC and all the great things we do like the many education scholarships, for example, that my sorority hands out every year. But like you said, good news is boring I guess.
I tell ya this much...what got my attention was DST's response to Don Imus awhile ago....I was like...dayum that was swift....if more groups and orgs could get that kind of press (and this is not to say that no one didn't say anything!!) when standing up for what's wrong in the world then others could see that we all are watching what happens to us and our communities
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-16-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPital PHINUst View Post
Why can't NPHC orgs cater to the Black, Latino, Asian, White, and other ethnic communities at the same time? Please explain this to me. It's almost like the time a friend of mine told me as a kid he was so afraid of flying he was afraid to turn on the mini-AC above his seat because he thought he was diverting power away from the engines. What, the plane couldn't stay airborne and cool him off at the same time?
It comes down to utilizing your resources because our resources, like any organization, are limited. Therefore, we need to focus on those activities that are most inline with our founding and still relevant mission.

Your analogy is flawed. A better analogy would be watering your garden. Lets say that you are watering your flowers which need fertilizer, plant food, and the like. Since your garden is surrounded by grass, inevitably, some of your grass will get the benefits of this care. However, your focus is on your azaleas and daisies, etc because they need specialized care unlike grass that does just fine with rainwater and little else. While you don't intend to neglect your grass, it does not need as much care as flowers, it is hardier and there is an abundance of grass everywhere. Even though you have to step on your grass to get to the flowers, it is not because you like your grass any less.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
I tell ya this much...what got my attention was DST's response to Don Imus awhile ago....I was like...dayum that was swift....if more groups and orgs could get that kind of press (and this is not to say that no one didn't say anything!!) when standing up for what's wrong in the world then others could see that we all are watching what happens to us and our communities
Yeah, many of us came together on this one. See the following: http://www.sgrho1922.org/pdf/BWA_07_...ent_final2.pdf
Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, many of us came together on this one. See the following: http://www.sgrho1922.org/pdf/BWA_07_...ent_final2.pdf
That's what's up......I likes!
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDGP007 View Post
On the other hand, I WOULD consider a Jewish sorority; simply because I live as an observant Jew and it's a HUGE part of my personal culture (but there are no national Jewish sororities...except Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi and they are on the west coast)
http://www.sigmaaepi.com/pages/chapters.html
School Location Chapter Year Initiated
University of California, Davis Davis, CA Charter 1998
Arizona State University Tempe, AZ Chapter closed 2003
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN Beta 2003
University of California, Riverside Riverside, CA Chapter Closed 2003
University of California, Santa Cruz Santa Cruz, CA Delta 2005
University of Oregon Eugene, OR Chapter closed 2005
Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA Zeta 2005
Eta Colony Baltimore, MD Eta Colony In Progress

I have a few thoughts but I will hold my tongue

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 05-16-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
http://www.sigmaaepi.com/pages/chapters.html
School Location Chapter Year Initiated
University of California, Davis Davis, CA Charter 1998
Arizona State University Tempe, AZ Chapter closed 2003
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN Beta 2003
University of California, Riverside Riverside, CA Chapter Closed 2003
University of California, Santa Cruz Santa Cruz, CA Delta 2005
University of Oregon Eugene, OR Chapter closed 2005
Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA Zeta 2005
Eta Colony Baltimore, MD Eta Colony In Progress

I have a few thoughts but I will hold my tongue
Speak soror!...Speak! or PM me or something!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to state for the record that I don't personally have a problem with anyone joining the org of their choice...no matter what it is. What bothers me is when someone says that they didn't feel that the NPHC orgs fit them when they did very little research (if any) regarding our orgs. Some people will come to this conclusion after their encounter with only one of our orgs or possibly because of hearsay, rumor, or bad press. If you are truly interested in gaining knowledge about us, then do some "real" research...on your own. I would respect a person more if they just said I chose ABC because I liked it...or because I wanted to...period...no explanation needed. There is no need to act like you did any extensive research that would lead you to conclude that the NPHC orgs were not for you. I'm one of those people who likes what I like and I don't feel a need to justify anything to anyone. But there are those that THINK they know what we're all about today because they've observed an undergrad chapter or two that didn't align with our missions or they heard this or that through the grapes. All I have to say to that is...we have a lot of undergrad and graduate chapters and a whole lot of members and I truly believe that MOST of us are doing great things in our communities, things that don't end up in the press and that people don't spread rumors about. If you want to do the research, then really do it and if you don't care to, that's okay to.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm. All interesting points.

I'm gonna have to agree with whoever said the resources thingie. With the way our country is (ie lack of good public schools, bad support for the poor, etc.) I think if you take the NPHC orgs away, it would be a major blow to the Black community.

I'm not saying that that would happen by focusing on serving other communities as well, but it would split resources.

Now, there are other ways to help. As far as social programs and developing strong non-profits, the Black community is light years ahead of the Latino/a and Asian American communities.

One thing I would like to see is things like the NAACP, NPHC, etc helping solidfy things like NCLR, OCA, NALFO, NAPA, etc. because their advice would be crucial to helping build up those organizations and allowing them to strengthen their own communites. However, right now, there just isn't enoug communication between organizations to really build effective coalitions that truly address the hearts of the issues.

I mean, it's kind of a Catch 22. You need to help your own community because no one else will focus on it, yet when all the various communities focus on their own issues, it makes it harder to see the big picture at times and create coalitions that could possibly help one's own community and the communities of others.

Hahahaha, I could go on for HOURS about this topic, but I'm sure people are bored of my post by now!
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Old 05-16-2007, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Talking

Quote:
I just want to state for the record that I don't personally have a problem with anyone joining the org of their choice...no matter what it is. What bothers me is when someone says that they didn't feel that the NPHC orgs fit them when they did very little research (if any) regarding our orgs. Some people will come to this conclusion after their encounter with only one of our orgs or possibly because of hearsay, rumor, or bad press. If you are truly interested in gaining knowledge about us, then do some "real" research...on your own. I would respect a person more if they just said I chose ABC because I liked it...or because I wanted to...period...no explanation needed. There is no need to act like you did any extensive research that would lead you to conclude that the NPHC orgs were not for you. I'm one of those people who likes what I like and I don't feel a need to justify anything to anyone. But there are those that THINK they know what we're all about today because they've observed an undergrad chapter or two that didn't align with our missions or they heard this or that through the grapes. All I have to say to that is...we have a lot of undergrad and graduate chapters and a whole lot of members and I truly believe that MOST of us are doing great things in our communities, things that don't end up in the press and that people don't spread rumors about. If you want to do the research, then really do it and if you don't care to, that's okay to.
I'm sorry, but I really don't follow where you are coming from. Not to be smart or anything...I'm just confused. What's wrong with saying that NPHC orgs don't fit you? I mean...there were only two facets through which to see any of those organizations as an outsider and that's 1) The National website, or press, etc. and 2) the local chapter...if there was one. I went to a school were there was only Zeta Phi Beta and Delta Sigma Theta (AKA was there...but inactive or not allowed to rush...something like that). DST was sort of familiar to me because some of my friends from HS pledged...but the DST chapter was not too visable at my school. I only saw them at general NPHC events...not with their own events. ZPB was more so....but still...it was only a few girls...maybe 7 active sorors. Being that the NPHC wasn't really jumping at my school...I would need to turn to the national history to see what they were all about...because I would feel I would be pledging something much bigger than what I see in front of me. But the history of NPHCs don't really feel like something I can align myself into. Besides, as a collegian, don't you have to pledge your school's chapter? So why research other chapters...unless you want to pledge as a alumna....or you're thinking about transferring? Even so, I think it would be tough if you truly desire to be in such-and-such org one day, but you decide to sit out 4 years because you aren't feeling your local chapter. I don't know...that's just me. Maybe it happens more often than I think.

Also, who researches anything if at first they don't find it interesting or befitting? That's sort of like calling out someone for not buying a certain car...because although it's fast and popular...your head bumps the ceiling when you sit in it.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDGP007 View Post
I'm sorry, but I really don't follow where you are coming from. Not to be smart or anything...I'm just confused. What's wrong with saying that NPHC orgs don't fit you? I mean...there were only two facets through which to see any of those organizations as an outsider and that's 1) The National website, or press, etc. and 2) the local chapter...if there was one. I went to a school were there was only Zeta Phi Beta and Delta Sigma Theta (AKA was there...but inactive or not allowed to rush...something like that). DST was sort of familiar to me because some of my friends from HS pledged...but the DST chapter was not too visable at my school. I only saw them at general NPHC events...not with their own events. ZPB was more so....but still...it was only a few girls...maybe 7 active sorors. Being that the NPHC wasn't really jumping at my school...I would need to turn to the national history to see what they were all about...because I would feel I would be pledging something much bigger than what I see in front of me. But the history of NPHCs don't really feel like something I can align myself into. Besides, as a collegian, don't you have to pledge your school's chapter? So why research other chapters...unless you want to pledge as a alumna....or you're thinking about transferring? Even so, I think it would be tough if you truly desire to be in such-and-such org one day, but you decide to sit out 4 years because you aren't feeling your local chapter. I don't know...that's just me. Maybe it happens more often than I think.

Also, who researches anything if at first they don't find it interesting or befitting? That's sort of like calling out someone for not buying a certain car...because although it's fast and popular...your head bumps the ceiling when you sit in it.
I understand what you're saying but undergrad is only part of it. The real work begins after college, when you join a grad chapter. For most people, this will be their chapter for the rest of their lives and grad chapter is on a different level entirely. Some people have researched our orgs and fell in love with not only our history, but with what we are doing right now from a National perspective so they decided to charter a chapter if there wasn't one or wait and go grad. And like I said before...you don't have to do any research if you don't want to but don't act like you have...and I'm not talking to you specifically.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined AKA because of what I saw in AKA, not because of what I did not see in other organizations, and that is the only way that I would talk about my reasons for choosing my sorority. I would not frame my choice as a rejection of what I saw in other organizations, but as an embracing of what I saw in AKA.

Last edited by Little32; 05-16-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
I joined AKA because of what I saw in AKA, not because of what I did not see in other organizations, and that is the only way that I would talk about my reasons for choosing my sorority. I would not frame my choice as a rejection of what I saw in other organizations, but as an embracing of what I saw in AKA.
I totally agree with you on this. That is exactly why I chose SGRho.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

This still boggles my mind.

I could never imagine joining a "White Cultural Interest" fraternity (and no Sigma Nu is not always a "whitey frat", we're the minority at my chapter).

I honestly had thought that the Sesame Street Generation had gotten past all this stuff.
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMcGuire1983 View Post
This still boggles my mind.

I could never imagine joining a "White Cultural Interest" fraternity (and no Sigma Nu is not always a "whitey frat", we're the minority at my chapter).
Whites tend not to express their interests as "white interests" because many whites don't think they have a race or ethnicity. "Whiteness" is invisible so they see their interests as "people interests" or "mainstream interests." When, in fact, their interests translate to "white cultural interest." This is why I go beyond the race-neutral jargon to get to what (white) people are really conveying.

I find the term "whitey frat" offensive. Was it used in this thread? Being the minority at a chapter doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMcGuire1983 View Post
I honestly had thought that the Sesame Street Generation had gotten past all this stuff.
Got past what stuff?

Wanting to be around people with the same interests who tend to look like them? Why would humans ever get past that? There's nothing inherently bad about it as long as it isn't based on inequality or perpetuates inequality.

Even people in multicultural organizations want to be around people with the same interests who tend to look like them. That's why most of them have friends, family, and acquaintances of the same race once they leave their multicultural chapter meetings and events.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
I joined AKA because of what I saw in AKA, not because of what I did not see in other organizations...
This SHOULD be why someone chooses their org. We don't have to tear others down to lift ourselves (or our org of choice) up; doing so demonstrates lack of character.