GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,299
2 members and 1,297 guests
acg233, Sarak24034

Old 05-17-2012, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment for a Sophomore

Hey guys, this fall I'm rushing as a Sophomore for . After reading some stories on here, I'm quite scared that this in itself may be grounds for me to end up not in a sorority at all! I hope this isn't the case, but I feel like it may be especially considering my GPA has dropped considerably since HS (it is now only a little bit above a 3.0) and on top of working hard in a few difficult classes and working part time I didn't participate in many clubs. Is there any advice you guys can give me about rushing that is tailored specifically to being a sophomore? I've done lots of research but i'm just not finding much about this.

Last edited by PNM128; 06-13-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM128 View Post
Hey guys, this fall I'm rushing as a Sophomore for UGA. After reading some stories on here, I'm quite scared that this in itself may be grounds for me to end up not in a sorority at all! I hope this isn't the case, but I feel like it may be especially considering my GPA has dropped considerably since HS (it is now only a little bit above a 3.0) and on top of working hard in a few difficult classes and working part time I didn't participate in many clubs. Is there any advice you guys can give me about rushing that is tailored specifically to being a sophomore? I've done lots of research but i'm just not finding much about this.
There really isn't much advice to give. If you had asked this question last fall, I would have said to get involved in campus, get good grades, and get to know sorority members before the next recruitment. However, that ship has sailed. Your grades are what they are, and it is too late to get involved on campus before recruitment. That being said, all those things make you a better candidate for membership in general, but they don't guarantee a thing. You might still go through recruitment and make a great connection with a sorority and get a bid. You may have fewer options than a freshman or a well-qualified sophomore, but it only takes one sorority - you can only get one bid. The only things you can do at this point are to get good, solid recs, and present yourself in a pleasant, classy manner. Prepare yourself mentally that your chances ARE slimmer than some other PNMs, but the only way you have any chance of getting a bid is to rush, so give it a shot.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

^^All great advice from irishpipes. I would add to stick with the process. If you get your invitation list back and your not crazy about any of the Chapters that have invited you back continue on through preference. You might find that you have changed your mind. Give the process a chance. After preference you can decided whether you want to be Greek with the choices you have. If you quit your done probably forever. Good Luck to you.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you guys for the advice, it was truly helpful! I do not plan to drop out and have a very open mind about the sororities, they all I'm sure have a great sisterhood and each have their own positive aspects. I'm willing to give each a chance (hopefully if they will give me a chance!)
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

As a sophomore at UGA, the best advice I can give you is keep an open mind. Even though they do have a separate "upperclassman quota," that usually means each group only has a few spots for sophomores.

A problem I've seen with many sophomores is to assume that they will get a bid to ABC or XYZ because they have friends in that house. They often end up disappointed and drop out of recruitment because they didn't get into the houses their friends are already members of.

For some good perspective on a sophomore rush that went well at UGA, check out Sally in this thread:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=115415
Old 05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM128 View Post
Thank you guys for the advice, it was truly helpful! I do not plan to drop out and have a very open mind about the sororities, they all I'm sure have a great sisterhood and each have their own positive aspects. I'm willing to give each a chance (hopefully if they will give me a chance!)
All the advice you have gotten so far is solid. I would just add that you ought to brace yourself. Between your sophomore status and less than stellar GPA, you will most likely get cut very hard very early on... sorry to be blunt, but it's true. Try not to dwell on the fact that you only have a couple of invites and focus on the houses that DID invite you back. Remember, at the end of the week you can only pledge one.