GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,445
1 members and 1,444 guests
LaneSig

Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic Council

So I colonized a chapter on my campus of my sorority when i switched schools. Its been a year and we got our charter this October! When we first came here last year, I approached Panhel at my school to see how it worked at this campus and to see what we had to do to be apart of panhel. They denied our membership and said it was because we did not have the same bylaws as they did, I'm guessing this is because we are not an NPC sorority we are a National Canadian sorority. My question is, how do we show panhel that we are worthy of being on their council? what is the best way to approach them again? we are also putting new bylaws into action in order to better model those of panhel ( we are only 20 years old so we are still growing and changing). I appreciate the help!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

have you asked Panhellenic the questions that you asked here? you asked good questions, but Panhellenic would the best group with whom to direct your questions.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsidlove View Post
we are also putting new bylaws into action in order to better model those of panhel ( we are only 20 years old so we are still growing and changing).
If you want to change your bylaws because you truly disagree with some things in there now, then fine...go for it.

But if you are only changing your bylaws to "fit in" with the other Panhel groups and your members don't like the change at all, then don't do it. It may be that being a member of Panhel at this school is not what is right for you.

Also, you have your other chapters to consider...the last thing you want to do is change things at your chapter so much that it's unrecognizable to your other chapters. If you're talking international bylaws, you have to look at what is best for the group as a whole, not just for this one chapter.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your responses! I'm just worried that they won't give us the answers we are looking for, my feeling is that they don't really want us here. As far as changing the bylaws, its more like modifying them to fit our chapter not so much Panhel, but this definately will help us in the future with Panhel , and all of the girls have decided that this is best, even our other chapters so it will work well for us! Im just wondering how i should go about dealing with girls that are a little apprhensive about having us at their campus. Our goal right now is just to go to any open greek events or events that we are invited to to show our support to all sororities and fraternities! and to kill them with kindness, nothing negative about any other organization will ever come out of our mouths no matter what they say about us. IFC on the other hand really wants us here, we have supported them all this past year and it would really balance everything out to have another sorority at our campus, so this is a help for us and hopefully the rest will come.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsidlove View Post
IFC on the other hand really wants us here
{teeth-sucking sound}

This might be part of the problem. The current sororities might feel you're encroaching on their territory and trying to take their men. As Dear Abby always said, if you want to be truly popular, make friends with the girls first.

I'm not saying be UNsupportive of the fraternities, but maybe cut down a little on the mixers etc, and spend some time getting to know the other girls in the Greek system.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay your right! we have not had any mixers yet because panhel isn't okay with it. We definately do not want to get on anyones bad side, so we make a point to go to any open event that a sorority is having, and show our support, we also personally invited them all to an event that we are having this month! Hopefully everything works out well in the end. I know its going to be slow and i realize that this is a big change for a greek system that hasn't changed in 20 years. Thank you so much for you help!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

That may be another thing. If the system hasn't changed in 20 years, they may be afraid that your success will be at the failure of another. If in the process of you coming to campus you can gain the interest of that many MORE girls, then they will probably warm a bit to you. But if they feel like you're poaching their rushees you're going to have a rough go.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes this is a tough situation for sure! but thank you so much for your responses! hopefully in a year I can come back and tell you all that we are still around,thriving and loved by everyone (optimism at its best)