GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,033
2 members and 1,031 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-17-2021, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Alpha Phi moving it's office to Denver to be close to notorious Executive Director

This email announcement was circulated amongst volunteers yesterday / today. Much talk amongst disgruntled members that this announcement is less than authentic in its tone. The new Alpha Phi headquarters is being moved from its historic location in Evanston, IL (home to its Beta chapter) to Denver next to a very new chapter (relatively speaking). They fail to. mention it is also in the back yard of their notorious executive director who is very controversial amongst volunteers.

What's laughable is that they want you to "not share it". I guess that NDA doesn't hold even a dropper of water. That $hit was forwarded all around within 5 minutes of it being sent.

Text of the announcement here:

I have the privilege of writing to you to announce an exciting new chapter in the future of Alpha Phi, and one that involves a new home for our executive office. As fellow longtime volunteers, I am sharing this news with you first. Please do not share this information until the public announcement later this week.

As many of you know, the Alpha Phi Executive Office has moved various times. This has meant that we have called New York, Evanston, Detroit, and Chicago home throughout our history. In 2023, we will now add Denver to this list as our International Executive Office will relocate to 1985 Josephine near the University of Denver campus and co-locate with the Iota Xi Chapter of Alpha Phi.

In the past, several joint committees comprised of International Executive and Foundation Board Directors studied possible relocation as Alpha Phi continued to outgrow the Executive Office. Many past committees seriously considered Denver as the top relocation city but decided the timing was not right. Denver was always a choice for those groups based upon fraternal organizations being exempt from property tax in Colorado. During this biennium, a joint Fraternity and Foundation committee was convened to update research and discuss relocation scenarios. In considering options for a new Executive Office, the primary objectives were to identify a new home that equips our staff to serve our members best and meet our new and growing needs for collaborative space while being fiscally responsible.

In this new location near the University of Denver, we have found a space that positions our members, volunteers, and staff for success. This will mark the first time that our Executive Office has shared space with a chapter, which – while allowing for private spaces for staff and undergraduates– will allow for new and innovative opportunities for engagement with our collegiate women. The expanded footprint of the new space will also enable Alpha Phi to regularly showcase permanent artifacts from our archives and provide a museum-like space for members who visit the Executive Office. Crucially, this move will also result in operational savings for Alpha Phi, allowing us to dedicate a more significant percentage of our resources to our core mission of serving collegiate and alumnae members.

Of course, we are deeply grateful for the forty-eight years in Evanston, and we are particularly thankful for all who have visited and volunteered at our Evanston-based office over those years.*
On behalf of the IEB, thank you in advance for your support during this transitional period. We are thrilled to chart this new path with you, and the Fraternity and Foundation cannot wait to welcome you to our new space in just a few short years.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

They are moving IN with an active chapter? That is like having your mother move in with you!

Last edited by thetalady; 08-17-2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2021, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

...or mother-in-law!
Old 08-17-2021, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

How does this one woman have so much power? To move your international headquarters to a different city and all the expense of the cost of a new building in a city with a higher cost of living. Especially when your current headquarters site is probably all paid off. Just so it’s convenient for basically one person there. I guess the flights from Denver to Evanston got to be too much.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Iota Xi chapter at U of Denver chartered May 2, 2010.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
How does this one woman have so much power? To move your international headquarters to a different city and all the expense of the cost of a new building in a city with a higher cost of living. Especially when your current headquarters site is probably all paid off. Just so it’s convenient for basically one person there. I guess the flights from Denver to Evanston got to be too much.

This is just nuts and yeah I heard about this from another page I follow. I just feel terrible for Alpha Phi that this person has wielded so much power its almost as though the checks and balances were thrown out the window.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
This is just nuts and yeah I heard about this from another page I follow. I just feel terrible for Alpha Phi that this person has wielded so much power its almost as though the checks and balances were thrown out the window.
Still not quite in the same class as the National Executive director of Tau Epsilon Phi who declared that all of the chapters had not met their financial obligations, therefore no one could vote for National Officers, and therefore there were no National Officers who had the right to replace him.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:34 PM

Aren’t there tax breaks to being in Indiana? Are they just throwing those all out the window?
Old 08-19-2021, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Aren’t there tax breaks to being in Indiana? Are they just throwing those all out the window?
I also thought that that was part of the reason there had been such a gathering of HQs in Indianapolis...
Old 08-19-2021, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There are- but Alpha Phi is in Evanston, which is Illinois.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 08-19-2021, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Executive HQ moving into an active chapter’s house? That seems like it would be an awkward arrangement! It would feel like your boss is now living with you! Does any organization have a similar arrangement?
Old 08-19-2021, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Perhaps. I tried doing a search on fraternal tax breaks in Illinois a couple days ago when this was posted here on GC, and I couldn't find much. Maybe I need to dig more, but I will say that if you search "Colorado, tax, fraternal", you'll very quickly find the Fraternal Society Exemption information on the leg.colorado.gov website.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-20-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
There are- but Alpha Phi is in Evanston, which is Illinois.
Oh geez, so it is. Don’t mind my menopausal brain.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

My first thought is "where will all the national headquarters stuff go"? The archives, the records, etc. Even the square footage of the largest of chapter houses could not compare with the square footage of a national headquarters building. And that's not even including housing a collegiate chapter.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Watcher View Post
This email announcement was circulated amongst volunteers yesterday / today. Much talk amongst disgruntled members that this announcement is less than authentic in its tone. The new Alpha Phi headquarters is being moved from its historic location in Evanston, IL (home to its Beta chapter) to Denver next to a very new chapter (relatively speaking). They fail to. mention it is also in the back yard of their notorious executive director who is very controversial amongst volunteers.

What's laughable is that they want you to "not share it". I guess that NDA doesn't hold even a dropper of water. That $hit was forwarded all around within 5 minutes of it being sent.

Text of the announcement here:

I have the privilege of writing to you to announce an exciting new chapter in the future of Alpha Phi, and one that involves a new home for our executive office. As fellow longtime volunteers, I am sharing this news with you first. Please do not share this information until the public announcement later this week.

As many of you know, the Alpha Phi Executive Office has moved various times. This has meant that we have called New York, Evanston, Detroit, and Chicago home throughout our history. In 2023, we will now add Denver to this list as our International Executive Office will relocate to 1985 Josephine near the University of Denver campus and co-locate with the Iota Xi Chapter of Alpha Phi.

In the past, several joint committees comprised of International Executive and Foundation Board Directors studied possible relocation as Alpha Phi continued to outgrow the Executive Office. Many past committees seriously considered Denver as the top relocation city but decided the timing was not right. Denver was always a choice for those groups based upon fraternal organizations being exempt from property tax in Colorado. During this biennium, a joint Fraternity and Foundation committee was convened to update research and discuss relocation scenarios. In considering options for a new Executive Office, the primary objectives were to identify a new home that equips our staff to serve our members best and meet our new and growing needs for collaborative space while being fiscally responsible.

In this new location near the University of Denver, we have found a space that positions our members, volunteers, and staff for success. This will mark the first time that our Executive Office has shared space with a chapter, which – while allowing for private spaces for staff and undergraduates– will allow for new and innovative opportunities for engagement with our collegiate women. The expanded footprint of the new space will also enable Alpha Phi to regularly showcase permanent artifacts from our archives and provide a museum-like space for members who visit the Executive Office. Crucially, this move will also result in operational savings for Alpha Phi, allowing us to dedicate a more significant percentage of our resources to our core mission of serving collegiate and alumnae members.

Of course, we are deeply grateful for the forty-eight years in Evanston, and we are particularly thankful for all who have visited and volunteered at our Evanston-based office over those years.*
On behalf of the IEB, thank you in advance for your support during this transitional period. We are thrilled to chart this new path with you, and the Fraternity and Foundation cannot wait to welcome you to our new space in just a few short years.
QFP.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.