GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,359
2 members and 1,357 guests
3DGator, LaneSig

Old 08-30-2021, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

A Blue Bloods Recruitment

Hey guys! I’ve been lurking on this site for years, and I decided that it’s time to tell my recruitment story. I read so many stories on this website before going through recruitment myself, so I considered myself a bit of a “recruitment expert” by the time I actually got there. Little did I know that no amount of expertise can prepare you for the experience that is recruitment!

Since I was obsessed with the show Blue Bloods at the time I went through, I thought it would be fun to do a Blue Bloods theme! There are 13 sororities at my school, and here are the names!

Frank
Jamie
Henry
Erin
Nikki
Linda
Danny
Eddie
Garrett
Maria
Jackie
Abigail
Renzulli

If you think you know where I went, please don’t post it on here. I want to try to be anonymous, but you can feel free to PM me if you have a guess.

For reference, I went through recruitment in the fall of 2018 (so I’m not sure if my story is old enough to be called retro, but I sure hope not!) at a D1 school in which Greek life was pretty popular and moderately competitive. I was a big believer in the Greek system, and I was a legacy to Frank (one grandma), Henry (other grandma), and Garrett (mom). Additionally, I had a family member in Henry at the time I was going through, and I also knew people in Jamie and Nikki. However, I already had my whole rush planned out before it even started, and I knew exactly what houses to release and which round to do it in. Advice to future PNMs – do NOT do this! It can absolutely ruin your experience. Just focus on finding the house where you feel like you fit in (and don’t stress if you don’t feel an immediate connection somewhere), and everything will fall into place.

I had been told that I didn’t seem like the “sorority type,” but I knew from my mom and grandmas that there was no such thing. I had been an excellent student in high school, with good grades, lots of activities, and academic and character-based awards. Because of this, I thought I would have a pretty fair shot at having a “perfect” recruitment, but I still firmly believed that anyone could find their place in a house if they just trusted the process, so I went into recruitment with an open mind just in case my rush didn’t go as I had planned. At the end of the day, I just wanted to be running home somewhere on Bid Day, even if it wasn’t where I planned. (I sound so ridiculous right now, but you’ll have to cut me some slack – I was only 18, after all!) For me, dropping out of recruitment mid-week was simply not an option. So, after a weekend of moving into my dorm with my roommate (who was a friend from high school and also going through rush), attending recruitment orientation, and meeting the girls in my gamma chi group, I readied myself to jump into the craziest week of my life!

The rounds were broken up into five days, with the sixth day being Bid Day.
Monday – Open House Round (visit 7 houses)
Tuesday – Open House Round (visit remaining 6 houses)
Wednesday – House Tour Round (visit up to 10)
Thursday – Philanthropy Round (visit up to 6)
Friday – Preference Round (visit up to 2)

At the moment, I can’t remember in what order exactly my group went to the houses, but I still remember enough details from each house to fill you all in.

The first house we visited was Garrett. I was super nervous, but I was a legacy here, so I was excited to see what they had to offer. The first girl I talked to was nice and easy to have a conversation with. We talked about the basic stuff, but I also remember telling her about this one time when my brother tried to jump onto a moving golf cart, and it did not end well for him at all. It was nice because we got to laugh a little bit, which helped to break the tension. We were sitting on the floor, so my legs were starting to fall asleep, but I smiled the whole time because I didn’t want to leave a bad first impression. The sister that bumped her was a lot quieter, but I tried to ask lots of questions to keep the conversation flowing. I remember leaving while telling her about my brother and my other siblings. I was so glad to have the first party over with!

Next, we went to Eddie. Back in the spring, I had gone to Eddie for a mock recruitment event that was held for high school juniors and seniors who thought they would like to go through recruitment. I went to about 7 houses that day for mock recruitment events, but Eddie had really stood out to me because I absolutely loved the girl I talked to. I was hoping to talk to that same member even though I knew it was unlikely. Unfortunately, I did not talk to that girl. I don’t remember much about the conversation that I had at Eddie. The sisters I talked to were nice and one of them asked what I did for fun at my hometown, but I didn’t think that she was really listening to me. I left feeling not as “wowed” as I had at the mock event, but I still wanted to get to know the chapter better.

After that, we went to Linda. Linda was the newest house on campus. I knew that they were struggling to get members to stay, as they had only colonized a few years ago. Still, I remembered that I had really liked the girl I had talk to from Linda during mock recruitment. However, I did not enjoy my conversation this time. The girl I talked to didn’t ask many questions and I had to lead most of the conversation, which I don’t like to do since I’m an introvert. I kept a smile on my face, but I felt relieved when the round was over, especially since the Lindas did not appear to have enough sisters to bump.

Next up was Danny. I really loved the girl I talked to from Danny! She was a senior, and my favorite thing about her was that she was honest with me about her recruitment experience. She told me that she had had a rough recruitment week and that she ended up dropping out of formal recruitment and joining Danny through COB later that spring. I really loved her candor with me. The sister that bumped her was also really down to earth, and I ended up being thoroughly impressed with Danny.

At this point, I think we took a break for lunch. It had been a whirlwind of a morning, but we were all getting into a routine. I was less nervous, but still intimidated all the same.

After lunch, we went to Maria. According to my notes, the first girl I talked to here was awkward, and I had to lead the conversation. The second girl was a little better, but overall, I was not that impressed.

Next up was Nikki. This house was the only house that I didn’t struggle to hear in because they have quite a bit of carpeting. This house is elegant on the inside. The first member I talked to was a little awkward. The second conversation was a little better. By the time we got to Nikki, it was almost the last round of the day, so I was tired also, and I’m sure the girls rushing me were as well. I was glad the day was almost over!

Our last house of the day was Henry. I was hoping that I would talk to my cousin because she was a current member here, but I didn’t. The first two girls I talked to were all right and we had decent conversations, but the third girl I talked to was really outgoing. I mentioned my cousin to her and she said she really loved her. In fact, when we were on the way out of the house, she actually pulled my cousin out of the conversation she was having so she could hug me. Now that I’ve been on the other side of recruitment, I realize that that was probably a really big infraction, but at the time, it was nice to see a familiar face.

With that, the first half of open round was done! It started raining when we left Henry, so we hurried to the student center to eat dinner. I’m pretty sure that none of the girls in my group had trouble sleeping that night! The next morning, we were up bright and early to go to Jackie.

I don’t remember anything about the first conversation I had at Jackie, but according to my notes, we just talked about the normal generic things. However, the second girl I talked to told me that Jackie’s house would be getting torn down within the next two years. Their house was pretty, but very old. I talked to another girl there, but I don’t remember much about the conversation.

Next up was Renzulli. I really liked both the girls I talked to here. We talked about living in house and how grades are important to me. The Renzulli house is very pretty and open on the inside, so I hoped that I could go back for House Tour round so that I could see more of it.

Our third house of the day was Jamie. I knew two girls in Jamie because they had gone to my high school. The Jamies were known for always being first in grades, and academics were important to me, so I thought I could really fit in here. I had also been told that they had a very competitive recruitment. I didn’t talk to either of the girls I knew, but I was bumped 5 times! In my notes, I have that I liked all of the girls I talked to, especially since one of them shared my major, but that I didn’t get to talk to any of them for that long.

I believe that our last house before lunch was Erin. I loved the first girl I talked to at Erin. We had the same major, but besides that, she was really down to earth, and I felt like she understood me. I also liked the next girl I talked to. I really wanted to go back to Erin the next day, but I didn’t have my hopes up because I knew their recruitment was competitive, and I didn’t know anyone there, so I didn’t see it happening.

After Erin was Abigail. The Abigail house was really close to campus, which was nice. The first girl I talked to mentioned that she was shy, but that she had found her place in Abigail. I really liked that because I was shy, and I wanted to find a place where I would be accepted anyway. The next girl I talked to was a senior, so we talked about how she felt about graduating and the friends that she found in Abigail. I left liking the house overall.

Our final house of the day was Frank. It was the last of my legacy houses. Frank hadn’t been on campus for a super long time, but their house was absolutely beautiful. I had seen it at Bid Day in years prior, and I was always enthralled. The first girl I talked to was very sweet and bubbly. I really liked the next girl I talked to because she seemed very grounded, and I felt more relaxed talking to her.

It was time to do our rankings. Now, as I said earlier, I already planned my recruitment out, so I had absolutely no problems deciding which houses I wanted to release and who I wanted to keep. Again, PNMs, don’t do this! Even though I had liked some of the houses that I planned on releasing, it didn’t matter. I wanted to follow my plan; therefore, I ranked

1. Garrett
1. Eddie
1. Danny
1. Nikki
1. Henry
1. Renzulli
1. Jamie
1. Erin
1. Abigail
1. Frank

11. Jackie
12. Maria
13. Linda

After submitting our rankings, we went to dinner. Later that night, my group met up in our dorm to have a meeting. I’m pretty sure the meeting was about the mutual selection process, which I already understood because I’d heard about it for years from my mom. I remember that people were asking a lot of questions about how it worked, but that I just wanted to go to bed and get to the next morning because I was so nervous about getting my schedule. Our Gamma Chis warned all of us that getting a full schedule of 10 houses back was rare. I knew that I was guaranteed invites back to Frank, Garrett, and Henry because of their legacy policies, but other than that, I didn’t know what to expect.

That's it for the first round! Don't worry, I will have the next round up tomorrow. I have already prewritten this story, so hopefully there won't be too much suspense.

Last edited by delusions; 08-31-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Always good to see new stories being told. I'm excited to see where it goes!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-31-2021, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

I love your theme!
Old 08-31-2021, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I'm hooked!
Old 08-31-2021, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

All right, let's move on to round 2!

We had an early roll call the next morning. I think it was probably 7:00, with parties starting at 8, but I can’t remember for sure. I did not have any trouble falling asleep that night, which was a small miracle to be honest. When I woke up the next morning, my heart was in my throat as I checked my email to see my schedule:

Renzulli
Jamie
Danny
Maria
Abigail
Garrett
Henry
Jackie
Frank

Wow! I almost had a full schedule back. I remember being excited that I had 9 houses initially. However, I knew that when I saw Maria and Jackie on my list that I had not gotten back my top 10. I wished that Nikki, Erin, and Eddie had given me another chance, but I didn’t take it personally. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Jamie back on my list. I wasn’t sure that I would get invited back there because of the competitiveness, but I was excited to be back for another round. Overall, I was excited for House Tour round because I wanted to see the interior of all these beautiful houses!

My first house of the morning was Renzulli. The inside of this house, as I said earlier, was very open. They also had window seats, which I really liked. The girl taking me on the tour was very nice, and I don’t remember much about the conversation, but I did like her.

Next up was Jamie. The first girl I talked to here was pretty quiet, and we talked about tennis. I had played in high school (I was really bad and just played for fun). Our conversation didn’t last very long because then I went on a tour. I enjoyed seeing the house, and after the tour was over, I think I talked to 3 more girls. They bumped a lot again this round. I remember thinking that I hardly got enough time to talk to anyone to really get a feel for the house, but that everyone I talked to was nice.

After that, I went to Danny. I was really looking forward to going back here because I’d loved the girls I’d talked to here during the first round. Unfortunately, I didn’t really have the same experience this round. The girl I talked to had a lot of energy, whereas I was feeling more low-key. Also, when I asked about the how long the requirement was for them to live in-house, she said, “Well, we don’t really see it as a requirement, it’s something that we get to do!” Living in-house was a major perk of being in a sorority in my eyes, so I wasn’t asking because I saw it as a necessary evil. I was just curious, and I had wished she wouldn’t have assumed that I’d meant it that way. I left feeling not as wowed as I had been during the first round.

My last house before lunch was Maria. I liked both of the girls that I talked to at Maria that day. However, I felt really bad because I kept yawning during our conversations. It truly wasn’t because I was disinterested; I was just very tired from the past few days. I hoped that they wouldn’t hold it against me. Their house was very cute, and I enjoyed getting to see it. I was able to talk to both of them about living in house and what they liked about it.

I had a pretty short lunch break where I think I just sat and stared out the window after I was done eating. Thankfully, my first party after lunch was at Abigail, which was close to the student center.

I don’t remember much about the party at Abigail. I remember that it smelled good in the house, and that I liked the girl I talked to. She told me she was losing her voice, which was very relatable. Their house was cute, and I remember enjoying the camaraderie between the two girls giving the house tour.

After Abigail was Garrett. The Garrett house was kind of far away from Abigail, and I had 15 minutes to get there, which by recruitment standards is barely any time at all. There was a really aggressive Gamma Chi yelling at us that we needed to hurry up and line up for the next round, which annoyed me because she had to know that we were already stressed enough with everything going on, and we didn’t need someone yelling at us when we were trying to run around in the heat and heels! Anyway, I absolutely loved Garrett today. I really connected with the girl I was talking to; we were both “old souls,” and she was so easy to talk to. The house tour was nice as well. I really wanted to come back tomorrow, but I was worried that the fact that I was a legacy was the only reason I got invited back to that round. Garrett had a competitive recruitment, and I didn’t think my chances for coming back the next round were that high since I didn’t know anyone there. So, I tried not to feel too attached.

Jackie was next. I remember the first girl I talked to at Jackie complained about the weather. The conversation wasn’t all that great. After my house tour, I was bumped, and I legitimately could not hear the girl I was talking to at all. I do not remember one thing about that conversation because it was so loud in the room we were in that it hurt my ears. I was not very impressed when I left.

My second to last house of the day was Henry. Oh Henry…where to begin. As a reminder, this was the house my cousin was in. They had a competitive recruitment as well, but I’ll talk about that more later. Once again, I did not talk to my cousin, which in retrospect was weird. I mean, don’t they want to pair up actives who know PNMs with said PNM? Anyway, my experience at Henry today was, in a word, awkward. The first girl I talked to before going on my house tour asked me what I was passionate about. Throughout the week when I had gotten that question in the past, I had said that what I was passionate about was doing the right thing regardless of the situation. I know it’s not a typical answer, but it really was true. So I said that, and then the girl asked about an example of a time when I had done that. The only story that immediately came to mind is one that, looking back on it, probably was not a great answer. I told her about this time when we had a break at my school, so my friends and I went to Walmart because why not. Well, while we were there, a few of my friends had decided that they wanted to try to get kicked out of Walmart. I was honestly horrified that they wanted to do that. I had a job in high school as many do, and the thought of intentionally causing trouble for the staff was repulsive to me. Naturally, I staunchly refused to participate in this, partially because I didn’t want to bother the staff and partly because I knew my mom would kill me if I pulled a stunt like that. So, I told my friends absolutely not, and I started to walk away. They thankfully didn’t end up doing anything. It was kind of hard for me to do that because of peer pressure, but I did it anyway. When I told the active rushing me, her reaction was kind of like …ok then. After that, I had my house tour, and then I talked to another girl. I did not like this conversation at all. The active was asking me really deep, personal questions, but she wasn’t even paying attention to my answers when I was talking. When I told her things, she would just move right on to another question while staring off into the distance. I left Henry not feeling great, but I knew that I would be inviting them back because of my silly plan.

My last house of the day was Frank. It was getting to be the evening by the time I got there, and I was ready for the day to be done. I felt much more relaxed at Frank, and their house was very beautiful on the tour. The active I talked to was really laid back and nice, and I didn’t feel like I had to pretend to be super outgoing around her. It was a good way to end the day.

Immediately after I got done at Frank, I had to hurry to the campus building so I could pref and then go eat dinner. We could attend up to 6 parties the next day, so I was able to release 3. These were my rankings:

1. Renzulli
1. Jamie
1. Abigail
1. Henry
1. Frank
1. Garrett

7. Danny
8. Jackie
9. Maria

On my “release” list, I remember it being a toss-up between Danny and Abigail, but I ended up wanting to keep Abigail because I had had 2 decent days at Abigail versus one good day and one not so great day at Danny. After preffing, I hurried to the student center and ate dinner, and I made it back to my dorm just in time for our nightly meeting. I don’t fully remember what we talked about; truthfully, I was just anxious to get my schedule back for the next morning.

That's it for house tour! Stay tuned for round 3.

Last edited by delusions; 08-31-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Enjoying your story!

I have never heard of a collegiate panhellenic doing a mock- recruitment with High School girls! I know Alumnae Panhels hold recruitment information meetings. I am not too sure this is a good thing? So, I am curious as to what other think about it. (I assume it is sanctioned by NPC?)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

So quick background on this: it is held in the spring before recruitment starts and it is put on by Panhellenic. The main goal of it is for the members to get practice on how to do a recruitment event, and for PNMs to get a better idea of how recruitment works logistically. The members aren't allowed to support their organization, they are only supposed to promote the university and Greek life. Personally I liked it because I was able to get used to the recruitment environment (such as the singing when you walked in and out and just how loud everything was). I know some other universities do this, but I'm not sure what it looks like for them!
Old 08-31-2021, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Ok State does/did it, and Bama used to/still does? I imagine there are others.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

If I'm reading the information I downloaded correctly, Arkansas holds a similar Spring event.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
If I'm reading the information I downloaded correctly, Arkansas holds a similar Spring event.
Texas A&M does one too...
Old 09-01-2021, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Time for Philanthropy Round!

Our roll call must have been early that morning too because I think I woke up before our schedules got emailed to us. Once I got out of the shower that morning, I knew what would be waiting for me, and I nervously opened my email to see…

Frank
Danny

Wait a second. What had just happened? Where were all the other houses? Why hadn’t I been invited back to so many of them? Had I done something wrong?

I’m not really an emotional person, so at the time, I just kind of went with it. My choices had been very narrowed down for me. My mom called me, and she wasn’t very happy with what had happened. Though I didn’t know this at the time, she and my grandma (who was a Henry) were particularly upset that Henry hadn’t invited me back. Why didn’t my cousin pull for me? It wasn’t like I was a bad PNM, and I looked good on paper too. But that hadn’t mattered. Besides, I liked the two houses I had back, and I needed to make the best of it. I didn’t have my parties until a little later in the morning and afternoon, so after going to our morning group meeting, I hung out at my dorm.

A little later that morning, it was time for my first party at Frank. Today was philanthropy day. The house was decorated beautifully, and the member that I talked to was levelheaded. We talked, watched a presentation, and then talked some more. I had a good conversation, but the whole time, I wanted to beg the member to please invite me back for preference round. By this time in the day, I had had time to realize that I could get released from recruitment if I didn’t get invited back to either of my houses from today. I was worried sick about it by the time I got to Frank.

After Frank, I had a lunch break before going to Danny. I had an ok time at Danny, but by the time I got there, I was so exhausted from the whole week that I just wanted to be done with my parties that day. Unfortunately, that would not be happening any time soon, and I’ll explain what I mean by that in a moment. The member I talked to at Danny was nice, but nothing really stood out about our conversation. I was doing my best to talk up their philanthropy and ask questions, but she didn’t seem to be matching my energy. Then, in the middle of our conversation, the electricity went out for a few moments. It turns out that a storm had just started, but we were about to be done with the party, so hopefully we would miss it. Just as we were all walking out the door, standing in a semicircle while being sung the door song as the party was ending, it began to rain. And by rain, I mean monsoon. In mere seconds, everything was soaked. All of us PNMs were quickly rushed back into Danny’s house because the storm was that bad. The Gamma Chis moved everything inside, but we weren’t allowed to have our phones, which was unfortunate because I had planned to meet one of my friends at the student center after my party was over, and I wasn’t able to tell her that I would be delayed. The Gamma Chis had us all sitting in Danny’s foyer, so all the PNMs from that party were crammed into a pretty small space. Eventually, Panhellenic gave us the go ahead to spread out into some more of Danny’s rooms, so it was a little more comfortable, but we were delayed about 30-45 minutes. I remember thinking, “This is my last party. I just want to go pref so I can be done with today. Why did this have to happen during my LAST PARTY?!” Finally, after sitting in silence for a long time, we were allowed to leave. It was still raining when I left, my shoes were totally soaked, and I was trying to seek shelter under trees (which was not a good idea because of lightning). I texted my friend and told her I was on my way to her. I quickly made my preferences for the day, inviting back both Danny and Frank since we could have a max of 2 houses for the final round. I prayed that at least one of them invited me back.

After seeing my friend and eating dinner, I went back to my dorm for our nightly group meeting. At this point, I was so worried about getting fully released from recruitment. I remember walking around campus that night and seeing advertisements for Continuous Open Bidding (informal recruitment), and thinking, “All right, that’s what I’ll have to do.” After our meeting, I talked to one of my Gamma Chis about my fear, but she gave me a hug and told me not to worry and to go get some rest. It was just what I needed to hear. However, at the time, I had no idea how they would tell me if I didn’t get any invitations. Would I just get a blank schedule in my email? Would I get no email at all? Would one of my Gamma Chis come tell me in the wee hours of the morning? It turns out that the 3rd option was what would’ve happened, but I didn’t know that at the time.

At this point, I was just hoping for the best. Stay tuned...
Old 09-02-2021, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Tenterhooks....!
Old 09-02-2021, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference Round.

The next morning, my roommate got her schedule. I was freaking out and refreshing my email like crazy because mine hadn’t come in. Thankfully, it came in a few seconds after hers. Of course, I know now that my Gamma Chis would’ve told me earlier if I didn’t have any invites, but I didn’t know that in the moment. I opened my email to see…

Frank

So this was it. Since I only had one house, I was guaranteed a bid there. I honestly felt numb. I had liked Frank all week, but I didn’t feel anything special. But I knew that just because you didn’t feel a strong connection to a house during recruitment didn’t mean that you wouldn’t have a great experience there. I was thankful they invited me back. I had the first party of the day there, so I finished getting ready and headed over.

I was hoping to have a typical emotional preference round experience at Frank so that I could have that feeling of “knowing” that Frank was the one. That didn’t happen. The ceremony was nice, and I talked to the member I had talked to during the second round. They sang a pretty song. I told the active that I could see myself there, but I didn’t tell her that they were my only house left because I didn’t know if we were supposed to do that or not. Like I mentioned previously, I’m not an emotional person, so I didn’t cry or feel really moved by the ceremony, but it was all right. At this point in the week, I was emotionally drained.

After the party was over, I made my preference. I called my mom and told her excitedly that I was going to be a Frank. The week had been hard for her too, but we were excited about Frank, especially because they had such a beautiful house.

That evening, we had a final meeting as a Gamma Chi group. After our meeting, I went to dinner with my roommate and a couple of other girls from our group. They were nervous because they’d had two houses that day, but I was able to rest easy knowing where I’d be. The night passed quickly to me. I was happy that I was going to get to see my family at Bid Day the next morning because I was missing them.

Next up? Bid Day!
Old 09-03-2021, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Glad to hear your worries during Round 3 didn't get interpreted by Frank as disinterest. Yep, most PNMs are emotionally exhausted by Pref Round.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
Wow! Glad to hear your worries during Round 3 didn't get interpreted by Frank as disinterest. Yep, most PNMs are emotionally exhausted by Pref Round.
Yep! Honestly, my biggest fear at that point was getting released from recruitment. I can't imagine what I would've done. I know I would've signed up for COB, but still, that wasn't how I wanted to start off my year. So pref for me was just an emotionally exhausted sigh of relief haha.