GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,498
1 members and 1,497 guests
AOIIalum

Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Stephen F. Austin sorority recruitment help

Does anyone know what sorority recruitment is like at Stephen F. Austin? I know that it is a Texas school, so does that mean it is competitive and I need recs? Thank you in advance if you can help answer my question.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

maybe one of our texas gc'ers will be able to answer your questions.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll see if I can scare up someone . . .
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Tayler--

When I was at SFA (I graduated 1992), recruitment was fairly competitive. Back then, we held recruitment in the spring semester before school started, but I hear it's been moved to the fall. When I was there, Sigma Kappa was just leaving and a couple of years later, Gamma Phi Beta colonized, but it has since closed, too.

Recs are necessary, no matter what they tell you.

The Greek Life office is very helpful. There are quite a few sorority women at SFA as staff or faculty: SFA Judicial Officer Peggy Scott is an Alpha Delta Pi and Student Activities Director Bev Farmer is a Sigma Kappa. If you're going to write for The Pine Log or work on The Stone Fort, Pat Spence is a Chi Omega. These are just the ones I remember (and are still there); I am sure there are many more.

Even with only five sororities -- Alpha Chi Omega, Chi Omega, Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Delta Delta and Delta Zeta -- the days are long. You will get tired of smiling.

When I went was at SFA, the girls going through recruitment all met in the University Center and were bussed out to the houses (over on Steen Drive -- go take a look at them if you haven't already).

From what I can see, it looks like they have photos on the SFA Panhel Web site to let you know what attire is appropriate for each day. Follow this and you should be okay clothes-wise. Of course, make sure your hair is clean, nails are in good shape and makeup is conservative.

If I can help with anything, please just reply or PM me. Maybe there is someone else here on GC that went through recruitment more recently than I did who'll pipe in, too.

--catie
Old 07-07-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catiebug View Post
Back then, we held recruitment in the spring semester before school started
You mean, like in January before the spring semester started?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. It was the week before school. The dorms opened up then, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You mean, like in January before the spring semester started?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM

I was having a brain fart and thought you meant people rushing in April or something. Do not read GC before drinking caffeine. LOL
Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9993 View Post
Does anyone know what sorority recruitment is like at Stephen F. Austin? I know that it is a Texas school, so does that mean it is competitive and I need recs? Thank you in advance if you can help answer my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncutie87 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Greeklife at SFASU? I'll be a freshman at SFA this fall, and I'd like to rush, but I really haven't been able to find much info! I took a look at the information on their websites, and I did a search on greekchat, but there really wasn't alot. Can anyone tell me a little more about the chapters, their involvement in the community and on campus, what type of rush to expect(I.E. pretty competitive, laid back, etc), and whether I should look into getting Recs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As for SFA Rush, I would agree with the above response of it being fairly competitive. To be completely honest, it just depends which sorority you are most interested in. My opinion on it, is that as long as you be yourself and be true to who you are, you will end up in the right home. The placement rate at SFA is somewhere around 96% I believe.

The way recruitment works these days is very different than it used to. We now hold a Fall Formal Recruitment (no longer spring) which is held the 3rd week into school, August 17th-19th. This will help give you alot of time to see what each sorority is all about even BEFORE you go through. All five houses at SFA are absolutely amazing, and they each have so much to offer.

I highly recommend joining the Interest group on Facebook if you haven't already. As well as registering online on the Panhellenic website.

Here is a link to the Interest group:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...15330628481643

Here is the link to register:

https://secureapp.icsrecruiter.com/I...spx?UID=STFAUN

Here is a link to the Panhellenic site if you want more information about SFA Greek Life:

http://www.sfasu.edu/studentaffairs/106.asp

http://www.sfasu.edu/studentaffairs/143.asp

Anyway, I hope that helps some!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your help!!