GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,546
1 members and 1,545 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 11-27-2001, 09:22 AM

The size of your fingers definitely makes a difference. I wear a size 6 1/2 or 7, depending....my actual fingers where you wear the ring are small, probably only a 6, but my knuckles are big. I hate my hands. Anyway, my sister-in-law wears like a 3 1/2 or 4. Her diamond looks bigger than mine because her fingers are so slim, but if we take our rings off and hold them up next to each other it is obvious that mine is larger. Weird. My favorite rings are my big, bold ones. My dad gave me this gorgeous tourmaline ring for my birthday that I love....it is a 2 carat pear-shaped stone set at an angle in a really chunky white setting. It would just look silly on little fingers, but it looks really nice on my paws.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-27-2001, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

You're absolutely right, Erika. I wear a 3 1/2 or 4 (depending on the thickness of the band) and I really couldn't carry off anything bigger than a 1.5 carat.

On the other hand, my cousin wears the same size ring and she wears a 3-carat stone and she loves it! Its like staring into a solar eclipse, LOL! Of course, that could be the little green monsters talking...
Old 11-27-2001, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Gosh, I went through so many different style preferences when my partner was in the process of searching for an engagement ring for me. We looked at platinum, but I didn't want to join the trendy bandwagon. We thought of titanium -- and really liked them -- but we somehow shifted over to white gold.

My sweetie found a ring that he liked in a local (Vancouver) jewelry store, but he wasn't quite pleased with the ring, so he took the basic design, improved on it a little, and had a ring designed especially for me. I can honestly say I don't have a ring like everyone else.

It's a wide (6mm) white gold band with a semi-bezel set (think of a letter O that's open on the left and right side). Underneath the setting is a channel that allows light to flow in and up through the diamond. The setting actually helps the stone look bigger than it is (it's .54 carats - we had to pay for an international move and immigration fees to Canada - the size of the stone was less important to me)

It's a bold ring, but an elegant ring. People always stop and comment on its beauty. I had people coming over from different departments at my old job just to see the ring!

He did good.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:53 PM

Your ring sounds lovely, SoTrue.....unique stuff is the best. I know firsthand how a bezel setting can make the stone look bigger. I had my mom's engagement ring reset, and we pretty much created the new ring from scratch. My jeweler took three thin bands (two yellow, one white) and a white bezel. He set the diamond (1/2 carat) in the bezel, soldered the three bands together and then put the setting on the bands. I love it. I wear it on my right hand almost every day.

My wedding ring is really unique. I have never seen another like it. I guess I didn't describe it that well.....it actually is hinged on the back. I would never change it to anything else, even if I do get my big rock. I had wanted an anniversary band for a long time but nothing seemed right....we knew that eventually we would find the perfect one, and it was true....as soon as we saw it we knew it. I am much happier with it now....the way my wedding ring closes around my diamond, it makes it look like one ring set in a really thick band. People would always say "Oh when are you getting married!!?" Now it looks like a wedding set and not just an unusual engagement ring.

Can you all tell that the only thing I like to talk about more than sex (see the "For all you non-virgins" thread!!!LOL) is jewelry!!!!!?????
Old 11-27-2001, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
At my sorority reunion last month, I saw a sister's new engagement ring. Someone commented "nice 10 carat diamond." I didn't realize how large it was until I compared it to other sister's engagement rings. It was beautiful and huge...about the size of a nickel. WOW!
Personally, I'm still waiting to meet Mr. Right. I'll worry about the ring later.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 11-29-2001 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Girls...
If you LOVE the round diamond or even the princess cut you'll want to check out a certain website. I've worked jewelry retail for 2 and 1/2 years and the cut of the diamond is the MOST important aspect to a beautiful diamond. So I highly recommend checking out www.heartsonfire.com! They've created the perfectly cut round diamond which grades a ZERO in porportions, polish and symmetry! There are immitations but nothing beats the fire from this diamond.
Their latest diamond is the new Dream diamond which looks similar to a princess cut but modified. Most princess cuts lose 40 to 50% of their light retention but the new Dream diamond retains all but perhaps 10% or less! That's an undertaking in cut!
So check it out!

Hootie
Old 11-29-2001, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyleggedsigma Send a message via Yahoo to crazyleggedsigma
Cool Encouraging my bad habit...hehe

Ohhhhhhhhhh yess! My roommate and I love to play this game! Her boyfriend has also started what we have affectionately dubbed the "pony fund" (little girls want a pony, big girls want a diamond!), but mine has just started talking about rings (I was sooooo surprised when he brought it up! )

Better than adiamondisforever.com are bluenile.com and diamond.com

These sites are retail (well, wholesale) so you can comparison shop with every possible combination of color, clarity, cut, etc. Very very informative, with a clear explanation of each C's effect on price. Speaking of price, they don't have to pay for real estate/mall space, so the prices are about 40% of what you find at a jeweler. I looked at the mall the other day, and they had 1/5 carat solitaires for $6000!!!!! Outrage! I highly encourage these sites. Many, many hours can be piddled away. (I should know-here I sit at 1 am with a trig test in 9 hours that I have yet to study for...shame on me... )

Have fun, everyone!
Old 11-29-2001, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I, too, feel much better knowing I am not alone in my obsession! I've got the ring all picked out (1 carat marquise-cut diamond with a smaller pear-cut diamond on either side, in an 18-carat yellow gold band). My mom laughs, but I tell her, "I've got the rest of my life to find and train the man; the ring is the thing!"
Old 11-29-2001, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
You know, while I want a diamond..I really don't think it's so much the size as the thought behind it. I don't want to pick out my ring , I want to be suprised and all romantic and stuff..

I love square ones- I'm probably odd like that.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dejajeva
You know, while I want a diamond..I really don't think it's so much the size as the thought behind it. I don't want to pick out my ring , I want to be suprised and all romantic and stuff..

I love square ones- I'm probably odd like that.
Dejajeva ~
You are probably one of the last women on earth who want to be surprised! How cute!
And you're not odd...the Princess Cur (Square Ones) is the second most popular shape right now!

Hootie
Old 11-29-2001, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

i want to be surpirised too! i'm simple when it comes to jewlery - all the guy needs to do is grab my baby sister (she would know what style i would want) - go out ring shopping, and surprise me with it - i think its so romantic that way!

Last edited by IowaHawkeye; 11-29-2001 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
See, now any guy that would get that far with me would KNOW what I wanted. If he didn't he'd be in trouble, lol. Seriously, I'm pretty specific in my tastes and by him simply noticing what the rest of my jewelry looks like, he could figure it out-- re: white gold or platuinum, NEVER yellow gold, simple, elegant, classy. My ultimate engagement ring is a simple Tiffany 1 carat diamond solitare set in platinum. I also like a 1 carat center stone with channel set stones on either side. My wedding band would be a pave diamond band.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amycat412
See, now any guy that would get that far with me would KNOW what I wanted. If he didn't he'd be in trouble, lol. Seriously, I'm pretty specific in my tastes and by him simply noticing what the rest of my jewelry looks like, he could figure it out-- re: white gold or platuinum, NEVER yellow gold, simple, elegant, classy. My ultimate engagement ring is a simple Tiffany 1 carat diamond solitare set in platinum. I also like a 1 carat center stone with channel set stones on either side. My wedding band would be a pave diamond band.
lol, i agree - if we were near that point, i'm sure the guy would know what type of ring i would want. i always wear silver, so it would have to be platinum or white gold, and i don't like complicated jelery, i wear diamond studs or hoops usually, i wear my watch and my return to tiffany's bracelt - i'm a simple girl - but since he will love me soooooo much he might want to get me the biggest, most extragagent ring they have so thats where my sister would come in and tell him to stick to the single diamond solitare, haha
Old 11-29-2001, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

here is my dream engagement ring.....

its from Tiffany's, but its probably a little over the top since its about 40K but a girl can dream

Last edited by bucutie02; 11-30-2001 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaHawkeye
ok, this is my dream engagement ring/wedding band

i love tiffanys....
You don't have to go to New York to buy that wedding band! Greenberg Jewelers has it. It's in a satin finish however, but I'm sure you could have it polished! It's at their Oak View Mall store right now (402)330-0339. If you want them to transfer it to a store close to you in Iowa just let them know!
Good Luck!

Hootie