GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,261
3 members and 2,258 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 06-21-2000, 09:12 AM
Hip Chic

Ok, so this movie does not give us, by any means a positive showing on sorority life, but Sorority House Massacure, is a damn funny movie. We actually rented it for a rush event and made fun of it! The girls who came to our event thought that it was sooo funny that we were laughing at how ridulous this movie was....it really put everyone at ease. Renting this movie has become a classic event in our house.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-21-2000, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

What? I thought girls always had naked pillow fights! You just ruined my image of women!
Old 06-21-2000, 04:20 PM
hilton

Smile

One movie which I still find quite funny (it is not very positive for the Greek image though) is "Revenge of the Nerds".

On another note, someone had mentioned positive women-bonding movies like "A League of Their Own". I saw a documentary called "The Bunny Years" which was all about the Playboy Bunnies. Note: The Playboy Bunnies were the waitresses in the Playboy NightClubs, not to be confused with the "Playmates" who posed nude in the magazines. Anyhow, it was quite an interesting documentary about how the girls made lots of money to put themselves through college and that they were quite protected in the club. They were not allowed to socialize with the patrons, and the patrons were not allowed allowed to touch them. Any
patron who did not comply was then ejected from the bar. It was an interesting documentary.
Old 06-21-2000, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Mocha,
I don't know if it's true, but it could very well be! It's so sad at the end when the idealistic boy played by Gregory Harrison died. I did relate to the sorority girls though there were a few like that in the chapter that did not invite change at all!

Stargirl
Old 07-25-2000, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
hey...revenge of the nerds was kinda cool...

i've seen all 3.
Old 07-26-2000, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I've heard that the fraternities in Revenge of the Nerds is actually based on real fraternities, does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Also, here's another good movie to watch as far as sisterhood goes: Little Women (the version in which Liz Taylor plays Amy, the youngest sister, although in the movie Beth is portrayed as the youngest.) Although the story is about 4 real-life sisters, a lot of the values and virtues they embody with respect to each other, their family, and the community is simply timeless, and besides which it's just a beautiful story. I doubt there'll be a dry eye in the sorority house after watching this one!!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 07-26-2000, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

While it's not an uplifting comedy by any means, the movie "Followers", inspired by actual racial hazing incidents from 1993, previews at New York's Quad Cinema this October 13th.

If you want to catch the flick, it should be at a theater near you later in the Fall. You can check out the film's website at:
www.followers.com
Old 07-28-2000, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by MaMaBuddha:
hey...revenge of the nerds was kinda cool...

i've seen all 3.
Actually, MaMaBuddha, there are FOUR Revenge of the Nerds movies; the fourth being "Nerds In Love" In it Booger gets married to an Omega Mu (Corinne Bohrer) who is the daughter of a rich man whose family is stuck-up and anti-nerd and one of the family members try to discredit Booger by saying he had a child out of wedlock. It really isn't a college frat movie per se except a lot of alumni from ROTN parts 1-3 are in it.

BTW, did you know that in ROTN II, there is a scene in the conference meeting room that has all the "NIC" fraternity coats of Arms in the background, THEY ARE REAL FRATERNITES, only the letters and the colors have changed. The most noticeable is the Alpha Phi Alpha one in the foreground (right behind the main podium, only it has the Greek letters Delta Pi, but all the other features in APhiAs coat of Arms is distinguishable. I also saw Omega Psi Phis shield in red with the letters Alpha Nu in the middle. There were some other NIC fraternities modified in a similar fashion.

Another little known fraternity fact.

Old 07-28-2000, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Quote:
Originally posted by MOCHA:
I saw Fraternity Row on HBO in April 2000. I heard that the movie was based on true events. Is this true?
Yes, it was based on the hazing death of a Kappa Sigma pledge at USC in 1959.

Old 03-27-2001, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Thumbs up

I just had to bring this back up to the top because I saw a cheesy sorority movie this weekend. It's called Confessions of Sorority Girls and it has Jamie Luner(Lexie form Melrose Place), Alyssia Miliono(Same from Who's the Boss) and Brian Bloom.

I can't even describe how cheesy this movie is. It makes a Tori Spelling movie seem like Oscar material
Old 03-27-2001, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Brother Steve you are a bad boy!!!!! LOL
My all time had to be Animal House as the local I started was nearly right on to a small degreeeeeee!
When I graduated, I thought about writing a story about my Fraternity life and I said NNAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, who would want to read that. Well low and behold it came out 2 yrs. later and I thought it was a hoot. Unfortunitally there are still Fraternity/Soroitys who still use the paddle for more than symbolism.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 03-27-2001, 08:00 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man:
Actually, MaMaBuddha, there are FOUR Revenge of the Nerds movies; the fourth being "Nerds In Love" In it Booger gets married to an Omega Mu (Corinne Bohrer) who is the daughter of a rich man whose family is stuck-up and anti-nerd and one of the family members try to discredit Booger by saying he had a child out of wedlock. It really isn't a college frat movie per se except a lot of alumni from ROTN parts 1-3 are in it.

BTW, did you know that in ROTN II, there is a scene in the conference meeting room that has all the "NIC" fraternity coats of Arms in the background, THEY ARE REAL FRATERNITES, only the letters and the colors have changed. The most noticeable is the Alpha Phi Alpha one in the foreground (right behind the main podium, only it has the Greek letters Delta Pi, but all the other features in APhiAs coat of Arms is distinguishable. I also saw Omega Psi Phis shield in red with the letters Alpha Nu in the middle. There were some other NIC fraternities modified in a similar fashion.

Another little known fraternity fact.

Rain Man, you worry me sometimes. Get out and take a walk in the sun.

Old 03-29-2001, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe that no one has mentioned one of my favorite Greek movies!! It's called "Little Sister" and it features Alyssa Milano and Jonathan Silverman. The basic premise is that Silverman is a fraternity pledge whose pledgemaster tells to steal the composite of a sorority's founders, so he dresses up in drag and poses as a female rushee in order to "pledge" this sorority and get access to the composite. In the meantime, he falls for one of the sisters (who ends up being his Big). It's really a good positive movie about Greek life, although there are a few stereotypical scenes in it. If you haven't seen it, you need to check it out...it would be a GREAT movie for a sisterhood night or something like that.
Old 03-29-2001, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:

While the original is dominant over the other Nerds movies (Ooh, ah, alpha beta - ooh ah . . .), the second has one of the most clever scenes in it from any movie - the altering of the "HOTel cORAL esSEX" sign for the party; who comes up w/ that? Funniest concept joke ever, and it's from a movie subtitled "Nerds In Paradise". Also classic:
Q: What if dog was spelled C - A - T ?
A: That's pretty deep, Ogre.
Old 03-29-2001, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
BTW, did you know that in ROTN II, there is a scene in the conference meeting room that has all the "NIC" fraternity coats of Arms in the background, THEY ARE REAL FRATERNITES, only the letters and the colors have changed. The most noticeable is the Alpha Phi Alpha one in the foreground (right behind the main podium, only it has the Greek letters Delta Pi, but all the other features in APhiAs coat of Arms is distinguishable.

My boyfriend is an Alpha and he noticed that one right away. He nearly broke his neck getting out of the chair to get a closer look.