GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Theta Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,387
3 members and 1,384 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Starting a Colony

I am a recently transferred Junior at California State University, Chico. I have been interested in Beta Theta Pi for a few years now, and have recently participated in the Rush Process here at my school. After having met all of the leaders and quite a few members of the current Fraternities here at Chico, I realized that the experience that I was looking to find through a Brotherhood is not truly offered by any of the Fraternities on my campus. I have not always been interested in Greek Life, but I have several friends who graduated before me that got me interested in the growth and opportunities that a Fraternity can offer me. When looking at different Fraternities I was first drawn to Beta, to be honest, because it is a Singing Fraternity. I was, however ultimately intrigued by the philosophy of Beta and it's emphasis using principle as a basis for learning and leading Brother's lives after they leave the Fraternity.
As I went through the Rush process a few weeks ago, I ultimately came to the conclusion that I was conforming to the idea of what I thought a member of a fraternity should be, and I was not being true to myself. The culture that I have seen through many Beta chapters is one that I feel like a Young Man can be himself without fear of ridicule or discrimination. As a Theater Major I have learned to be a great communicator, and to deal with all types of people. I was struck by my time in the rush process here at Chico, is that the culture of Fraternity here, is one that thrives on exclusion. It is my feeling that Brotherhood should be an experience that thrives on the differences that each Brother brings to the experience. If we, as members of a fraternity are expected to learn and grow, how can we only accept those that fit our own mold? Would this not impede our process of Learning and Growing as men of Principle?
I am interested in bringing the inclusion and culture that I have seen in many chapter of Beta to Chico. I am currently talking to a few Young Men who I believe would be interested in bringing this change about as well. However, I wanted to see what the process of starting a colony would involve.