GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,170
1 members and 1,169 guests
Low D Flat

Old 08-25-2015, 04:59 PM

Things that would never, ever, EVER happen at a Southern school

This is something I hadn't thought of in probably 25 years but a chapter sister and we were discussing rush today and she brought it up. Southern gals, clutch your pearls because you're not going to believe this!..... (I'm going to use real sorority names because it was so long ago I can't imagine anyone would care)

When I was an active, the Big Three were, alphabetically, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta and Delta Zeta.

There was a rushee named "Bridget" who was in the same Rho Chi group as my sister and me our freshman year and she was incredibly outspoken that the only house she would consider joining was TriDelta. After she was cut by them (can't remember which round), she dropped out of rush, presumably, never to be seen again.

Well, sophomore year rolled around and here I was on the other side of Rush. Guess who came back? Bridget! And she was still determined to be a TriDelt. She was breathtakingly rude to the sisters who tried to talk to her at our party and our Rho Chi contacts assured us that she was the same everywhere, except at Delta Delta Delta. We cut her after the first round, as did many other houses and TriDelt eventually cut her too. Again, she dropped out of rush, presumably, never to be seen again.

Ha! If you believe that one, then you don't know what rush is like at a big state school that is only about 11% greek.

Bridget showed up again during formal rush our junior year. Still determined to be a TriDelt. Still breathtakingly rude to the other houses. Still cut heavily. The difference this year? She got a bid from Delta Delta Delta! After three tries (DDD never participated in informal rush), she finally reached her Holy Grail.

To this day, no one who wasn't on TriDelt's Bid Committee that year knows how that happened. Not even the sisters who weren't part of the Bid Committee. (said one TriDelt to a friend of mine, "I don't know what happened. I looked up at Bid Night and there she came running across the Quad right at me".

Maybe someone felt sorry for her? Maybe someone was bribed? Maybe they thought she was someone else with the same first name? The world may never know. Not that it's our business anyway

So THAT, ladies, is an example something that would never, ever, EVER happen at a Southern school!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yikes. Why was she so bent on Tri-Delt?
Old 08-25-2015, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa. I don't even think that would happen at MY college, which is the farthest you can get from a Southern school.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:17 PM

There was a three timer at my school too, but it was way more embarrassing for her, as she was in the same little sister org with many many members of the group she was trying to join. YIPES

Oh and KR, I am going to guess a Steeler or Penguin had something to do with it just because that is the way things roll here :-)
Old 08-25-2015, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. She must have had some major pull for the third try. Maybe a rec from the National President?

The world will never know...
Old 08-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

There was a several timer in my day - she hit both the formal and informal rushes each year for three years. She finally found her home with a colony.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

One school I went to had a three-timer who was set on only one sorority, a very difficult one to get into there. She got in the third year.

Before and after she went Greek, she was a campus leader but no one I knew, including her sisters, had any idea why she was set on that one.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a girl who was a triple legacy come through and tell everyone in her group that we "had to take her". By this time I was an alum and the Chapter Rush Advisor.

Trouble with that was that she was a "problem" and several of the actives knew of her because they were from her hometown and....well she was not going to be pledged, let's put it that way. One of our alums had been her fourth grade teacher (!) and called me during rush and said if so and so is pledged by the chapter I am turning in my pin. Wow.

So she gets cut. Who gets the angry calls at 6:30 AM? Why, the Rush Advisor of course. The girl dropped out, transferred to an SEC school and her grandmother ended up essentially funding a remodel of the chapter house at this school, where we actually have a very strong chapter. No one said a word to give this chapter a heads up.

I heard she graduated, came back home, and "grew up" and became a "PILLAR OF THE COMMUNITY" LOL isn't that how it always happens?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I've posted the story on GC several times of the girl on my freshmen hall who was hell bent on also joining one specific sorority on our campus. Ten outstanding groups at our school, and she goes in just wanting one. To this day I am not sure why that one particular chapter found such favor in her, but it did.

She lasted 2 rounds with them, was cut, and so she the dropped out of rush.

Same story sophomore year, except I think she was cut after 1st round. She dropped out of rush again, transferred back home and went through rush at her commuter school. She even got a bid to the same sorority she was trying to join at our university.

But the story doesn't end there. She transfers *back* to our school and wants to affiliate. At this point the chapter members are well onto her scheme and actually vote against her affiliating.

She spent the next 2 years sporting those letters 24/7. I don't think one member of the chapter ever became a friend of hers.

As I have posted before I to this day wonder if it was worth it for her. She got the letters she so desperately wanted, but has no concept of sisterhood- at either the 1st school (only there one semester) or our school (rejected by them 3 times).

She was *not* a fit for the chapter that she wanted, but would have been a great member at over half of the chapters on our campus. Too bad she couldn't see that. I wonder how she views the whole thing now, 25 years later.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Can't believe this but I had to take a look at her LinkedIn profile. The single, solitary one and only activity she has listed at college is.....wait for it.....Delta Delta Delta!

At least I bet she's an involved alumna so that's a nice thing.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Check your PMs in a little bit!

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

bump!
Old 08-18-2021, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
I've posted the story on GC several times of the girl on my freshmen hall who was hell bent on also joining one specific sorority on our campus. Ten outstanding groups at our school, and she goes in just wanting one. To this day I am not sure why that one particular chapter found such favor in her, but it did.

She lasted 2 rounds with them, was cut, and so she the dropped out of rush.

Same story sophomore year, except I think she was cut after 1st round. She dropped out of rush again, transferred back home and went through rush at her commuter school. She even got a bid to the same sorority she was trying to join at our university.

But the story doesn't end there. She transfers *back* to our school and wants to affiliate. At this point the chapter members are well onto her scheme and actually vote against her affiliating.

She spent the next 2 years sporting those letters 24/7. I don't think one member of the chapter ever became a friend of hers.

As I have posted before I to this day wonder if it was worth it for her. She got the letters she so desperately wanted, but has no concept of sisterhood- at either the 1st school (only there one semester) or our school (rejected by them 3 times).

She was *not* a fit for the chapter that she wanted, but would have been a great member at over half of the chapters on our campus. Too bad she couldn't see that. I wonder how she views the whole thing now, 25 years later.
This was rather common way back in the day here in Alabama. Go to UAB, Jax State, Livingston and pledge. Then transfer to Alabama or Auburn, UAB's Alpha Gam chapter was thought of as a "feeder chapter" for Alabama.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I did hear stories of girls going to Delta State in Mississippi to pledge and then transferring to Ole Miss to try to affiliate.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-18-2021, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Attempts to transfer into a stronger chapter have been made for years.