GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,225
2 members and 1,223 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17

Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme920 View Post
im not trying to avoid work, i was just curious about how they do the auto admit thing. i didnt know if real people actually looked at it or if some random computer did it. and squirrel, i didnt use correct grammar in my post, because i didnt realize it would be evaluated. i was just trying to get the general idea out there.
thanks for everyones advice about the topic. i guess it comes down to the fact that i have recieved this prompt like a million times over the years and it bores me to death. i guess i will just go start from scratch and write another mind numbing essay about my gramma or a teacher or something...
You don't have to do another mind numbing essay. I would suggest that, unless your grandmother's story is extremely interesting (for instance, she was kidnapped by pirates and then a bunch of ninjas came and saved her) you might not want to write about a family member. Those become cliche. Do someone interesting. Was there a story in the paper that made you re-think your perspective on life? Why? Is there more research you can do about the subject of the article? Is there a member of your church or a social organization that has an interesting story which changed you in some way?

When you use too many examples of people who have had an effect on the way you've turned out, it looks indecisive.

Unfortunately, I just had a test/interview for a job, and I had to bring the same types of narratives that I needed for both college and grad school. I'm not saying that most jobs require them, but some do. You have to find ways to make each essay distinct and very true to who you are as a person.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
as to answering the question, that is why im feeling nervous about my essay. it was to write about a person that has impacted my life and why they are important to me, and my paper is about how all people impact me in many different ways. one paragraph is about some stranger i served at work and how his relationship with his daughters inspired me to be closer to my family and another is about how while one specific band member has not made a huge impact in my life, the unit of support created by the band family as a whole has changed the person i am drastically.

im nervous, because im playing the line of whether or not im answering the question, and either it will be appreciated as unique and interesting or frowned upon as not answering the question...
You're right to be nervous, because you are not answering the question and therefore not following directions. If you are asked to write about A person, then write about A person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Here's a tip, a person can't impact your life because impact is an action verb, so unless your bodies collided, that is poor usage.
Thank you!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
i have recieved this prompt like a million times over the years and it bores me to death.
Keep in mind how dull you find this topic.

Now, imagine you are a college admission counselor. You read dozens (or more!) of these essays in a day. You are bored stiff.

Make yourself stand out in a positive way. I agree with the steering-away-from-family advice and the advice to keep it local.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
Wow - just. Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
What, you find it hard to believe that some people actually apply to college in October?
I can't believe people would wait so long - even if you get in, all the money is gone! My alma mater stops accepting applications on December 1st and I don't consider it a particularly competitive school to get into.

OP, find a teacher you trust, have them look it over, and get your applications out NOW!