GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 674
0 members and 674 guests
No Members online

Old 02-09-2003, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Delta Sigma Phi incident at Iowa State/Kansas State

ISU fraternity under investigation for incident

By Katie Drake and Jill Sederstrom
Daily Staff Writers
February 07, 2003

An ISU fraternity is under investigation after a brother house reported the ISU students were disrespectful to women and destroyed property during a visit in November to Kansas State University.

The Beta Alpha chapter of Delta Sigma Phi members, at Iowa State, also had questionable behavior concerning underage drinking and stolen property from the Alpha Upsilon chapter at Kansas State, said Ben Procter, public relations coordinator for Delta Sigma Phi at Kansas State.

"There was general disrespect for the house here at [Kansas State]," Procter said.

He said it was difficult to determine the dollar amount of the damage done, and said the damage done to people's reputations was most upsetting.

He said ISU Delta Sigma Phi members offended members of the Kansas State chapter and girls from sororities on the Manhattan, Kan., campus. "It was pretty shocking because a lot of people have a lot of pride in the fraternity," Proctor said. "To see something so contradictory was a shock and an embarrassment."

Aaron Schwieterman, president of Kansas State's Alpha Upsilon chapter, said the fraternity members there were upset about the incident, but he declined to answer further questions.

Delta Sigma Phi members at Iowa State traveled to the brother house during a traditional "sneak," where incoming members visit other chapters to meet and get acquainted during fall semester.

Andy Klobnock, vice president of recruitment for Delta Sigma Phi at Iowa State, said everything has been returned and paid for. Klobnock said he could not comment on any disciplinary action that may have been taken against the ISU fraternity at this time. He referred all additional questions to the Dean of Students Office.

Pete Englin, dean of students, said he could not comment on the situation.

The national Delta Sigma Phi executive director Scott Wiley said there is an ongoing investigation regarding this incident. Wiley said he could not comment on the specifics of the case.

Bethany Schuttinga, assistant dean of students in the Office of Judicial Affairs, declined to comment.

Delta Sigma Phi has been on the ISU campus since 1949.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Shit......in a period where we're rebuilding after the Auburn incident and Hockman's horrible reign, this is the last thing we need.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

update
The decision has been already made, they will be suspended for two years.

It is sad to see the brothers destroying their house now (at the very moment) and breaking every rules they could think of: drinking at the front porch, rude words on the tumbstone and trashing the house ...
Old 02-28-2003, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks For The Update Queequek

As for my bros at BA......morons...........
Old 02-28-2003, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to Boys' State with Ben Proctor! Doesn't surprise me that he's risen to a position of leadership...very well spoken and passionate individual.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Stan, dont feel bad as your Fraternity is not the only one!

Had the same thing happen between Mo. Houses and at My Chapter at PSU (Kansas)

I happened to see the after math at the William-Jewell Chapter and my own.

To say that I was appalled is to put it mildly. The Mo. Chapter is gone. The one who trashed our House is still on a very prominent campus to this day!

I wrote that Chapter a letter stating if it ever happened again, I would petition Hdq. To suspend them or put them on a social probation! They will never be welcome back to my Chapter! What a sad state of affairs!

We are all looking to promote Greek Unity and then something like this happens!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-28-2003, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
We are all looking to promote Greek Unity and then something like this happens!

Exactly
Old 02-28-2003, 11:49 PM

Hey Stan,

It's gut wrenching when you see your own letters in this kind of situation. For all of us.

Remember, though, how many times you've read that not all chapters are perfect -- and that we all have bad apples.

You know it's true.

Don't let it get you down.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I know couple guys from Delta Sigs. They are cool guys.
Only a couple individuals did something stupid, and the whole chapter (and national) have to get the bad name.
Don't judge these fine men based on certain individuals. Yes, they were destroying their house, but that just because they were disappointed and mad.
As far as I know, these individuals did get deactivated.

So, things we learned:
1. Think what you do, individual action reflects the whole system
2. Don't act stupid
3. If you want to act stupid, and have the urge to steal/destroy things, see no. 1
Old 04-08-2003, 01:05 PM

Same scenerio happend at Gamma xi and eta chap a while back. somone had told me a story about it. I think it was my friend brian, but I think it's really suprising when it happens within the same fraternity. I honestly think it's quite stupid. Brothers come in all shapes, attitudes, sizes, etc. But that's the thing we're all brothers.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But that's the thing we're all brothers.
Even those who have a "horrible reign."