GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,270
0 members and 1,270 guests
No Members online

Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing again??

Hi everyone! Ok so this year I decided to go through spring recruitment (which is informal recruitment at my school (CSU Long Beach)) and I got a bid from one sorority. I accepted it, however, the day after bid day I immediately dropped due to problems with finances. This information was given to me on bid day so I had no idea how much it costed. So obviously, I had no choice but to drop. Due to the fact that it was informal recruitment, they didn't make us rank any houses like they do during formal rush. I am planning to get a job during the summer and I am still very interested in going greek! This time, I want to go through formal recruitment so I can see what all the chapters have to offer rather than just one. Can I still go through fall recruitment next year??

Last edited by cali123; 03-09-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

You can, but will your summer job provide you with a *full year's* worth of dues? Then, do you plan to get another job every subsequent summer to pay for the next *full year's* worth of dues? What is your major/career path? At some point will you need to take summer classes or have a (non-paid) internship? If paying one semester's worth of dues was a hardship I would suggest that you truly evaluate the cost of a sorority experience and determine if you can commit to that expense every single semester until graduation.

In addition to dues there are often additional expenses like big/little gifts, t-shirts, recruitment outfits, etc.

Not to put a damper on your hopes, but simply wanting you to take a very realistic and long term look at the expenses of being in a sorority.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I've thought about that, but I still want to be able to have that sorority experience in college. My freshman year sucked and I don't want the rest of my three years left to be like that. I'm planning on finding a job during the summer and I might even keep the job. My major does not require that much summer classes. The only thing I was worried about was rushing again after dropping.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought if she signed a bid card she wouldn't be able to go through recruitment for a whole year? I assume she signed a bid card on bid day after accepting her bid...
Old 03-12-2015, 09:00 AM

^^This is that "you are only bound to a bid until the next primary recruitment" bs that NPC somehow thinks is a good idea and doesn't stigmatize COB more than it already is.

Not venting on CT of course, she's just the messenger.

"Costed"
Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

So I have to wait until my junior year to go through formal recruitment??? :/
(I'm not sure if I signed a bid card. They were making us write our information like our address and phone number. They never gave us a card and told us to sign it.)
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Do people even follow that rule?? Like would they know if you rushed after accepting a bid?? Because I've seen people do it..
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali123 View Post
Do people even follow that rule?? Like would they know if you rushed after accepting a bid?? Because I've seen people do it..
Old 03-12-2015, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Did you read ComradesTrue's response? She answered you. robinseggblue is thinking about formal recruitment, not COB. See the Green Book for specifics.

CliffNotes version: you can rush in the Fall.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

IF you signed the bid card, you are bound to them till the NEXT formal recruitment period. If you are not sure whether you signed one, you should contract the GReek Life office on your campus as they would have to turn it in to them. IF you didn't sign it, then you could pledge anyone any time
Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It is permitted to rush again after accepting a bid & dropping out. Doesn't mean you will get a bid the second time around, but you can rush in the fall. And YES, they will know that you rushed, accepted a bid and then dropped out. I won't sugar coat it, that will be a really big issue for you.

I realize that you WANT to join a sorority. Please be completely sure that you can afford it this time. It is not all about what you want. Please don't take a spot in a pledge class, only to drop out again for the same reason.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It would be a good idea to contact the CSULB Greek Life office and get the costs for each sorority. What if the group that gave you a bid was the LOWEST in costs?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually the group that gave me a bid was the highest in costs.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

So basically my chances of getting a bid this time around will be much lower? And also, I'm not planning on hiding the fact that I accepted a bid and dropped. If they ask, then I'll tell them.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Did you read ComradesTrue's response? She answered you. robinseggblue is thinking about formal recruitment, not COB. See the Green Book for specifics.

CliffNotes version: you can rush in the Fall.
Sorry I didn't realize, my mistake.

Quote:
And also, I'm not planning on hiding the fact that I accepted a bid and dropped. If they ask, then I'll tell them.
IMO, "I couldn't afford it" isn't going to cut it. YMMV.