GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,757
2 members and 1,755 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma

Old 07-26-2015, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this one!

ΑΓΔ
Old 05-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

This one is a good summer read!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi there. This is my first post at Greek Chat and I'm very happy to have found this forum. I enjoyed my time as an active and hope that my daughter will choose to take an interest in Greek life when she heads off to college in two years.

I was a Delta Gamma legacy in 1981. (Please excuse my "ancient" vocabulary ie: rush/pledge.) My mother and her friends are charter members of our chapter. My parents didn't discuss their Greek life with me until my senior year of high school. They let me make the decision to rush. I opted to rush when it came to my attention that my parents' closest friends were the ones they'd bonded with in the late 50's and early 60's through their Greek connections. It is possible that my daughter will be the third generation of our family to attend the same university. Should she choose to rush then she will be a double legacy for Delta Gamma.

My advice is for legacies and their parents. I would encourage you and your legacy to keep an open mind and heart during recruitment. I was aware that other sorority legacies in my rush group were under intense pressure to pledge their family's house. Be aware that chapters can change over time and vary from campus to campus. The group that you loved two or more decades ago might be different now. Let your legacy trust their instincts and make their own choice.

Now the challenge will be for me to take my own advice in the next few years.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I also want to remind legacies that their legacy group might cut them; legacy status is no longer even a minor guarantee of a bid. Keep your options open!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Bumping for 2017--
Old 10-08-2019, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep an open mind. I know this has been pounded into your head but it's legit advice. You're gonna hear loads of tent talk "Oh XYZ is terrible, oh ABC this and that," and heck you may have been stalking social media or false rank before recruitment. Don't believe any of it. Wait till recruitment and get your impressions from the chapter interactions.

Also DON'T TALK BADLY ABOUT A HOUSE IN YOUR GROUPS. It's okay if you didn't enjoy a party but for one you don't know what sorority your Rho Gamma is in and someone in your PNM group could have a friend/sister/etc. in a sorority. The impressions you have can travel.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 01-07-2023, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Gonna throw this to the top for spring recruitment! And I got 1 more.

DO NOT ACT RUDE IN ANY HOUSE. I don't care the sister doesn't do the best job or if you didn't enjoy the party. That is okay. It is openly being rude to your rusher or openly saying you're rushing to join ABC. Word travels.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 01-20-2023, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority women in every chapter on your campus are worth getting to know for longer than the 20-60 minutes of a recruitment party.

Be the gal in your chapter with friends and good acquaintances in each house on campus. And you start with your positive attitude and conversations during recruitment, toward initiate and pnm alike.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Get recommendations, even if you're told you don't need them.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsandkeys View Post
Get recommendations, even if you're told you don't need them.
I am guessing that you haven't been involved in recruitment for a very, very long time. That advice doesn't apply in a lot of places and for some sororities at all anymore.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Try try try to live in the moment. We have all gotten so used to having a conversation while texting while watching TV while eating dinner that it can be hard to do just one thing at a time, but this is the time to get rid of everything in the world except that one girl you are talking to right at this moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
We want you to go Greek, no matter what the letters.

It will enrich your college years and give you wonderful mentors in the years to come. You will grow in so many ways...whether you are the "superstar PNM" who wins Homecoming Queen thanks to the campaigning of her sisters or the shy smart girl who needed the quiet support of her sisters to have the confidance to take the MCAT or LSAT.

And, stay involved beyond your college days... whether it is by paying national alumnae dues, working with your Alumnae Panhellenic Chapter, or being a chapter adviser or national officer. Some (most) of my best friends are women that I have met through my alumna experience.
Even after eleven years, these two quotes caught my attention.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Words of advice.