GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,405
2 members and 1,403 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin

Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Metro Collision, Washington DC

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0609/634125.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Metro confirms two trains have collided on the Red Line between the Takoma and Fort Totten stations. It happened close to the Fort Totten station, a Metro spokesperson said.
At my last check, there's been 1 fatality and 9 injuries.

I hope all the GCers in the DC area are ok!

Update: "At least two" fatalities (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/22/was...ash/index.html)

Last edited by unicorn; 06-22-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Today was also the first day of the summer youth employment program, so let's keep the teens in prayer, too.

This line and these stations are in the neighborhoods where I live and work, but I don't usually catch the train.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM

I think ADqtPiMel is in DC, I hope she's ok!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I think ADqtPiMel is in DC, I hope she's ok!
Thanks babe, I'm ok. My husband's law school is in that area, but luckily he didn't go out there today.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I send my prayers out to everyone...I was on the red line today (on the other end of DC), and we were stopped for 45 minutes clueless until myself and some other riders got news alerts on our blackberries. It's so terrifying....this is not a good month for DC.

And ADqtPiMel, I'm glad you and your husband are okay!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
Thanks babe, I'm ok. My husband's law school is in that area, but luckily he didn't go out there today.
Glad to hear you and your husband are ok.

I'm touching base with my friends in the area now; a bunch of my friends have moved down there in recent years. Sounds like everyone is ok.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Was definitely on the red line, but not in NE. In the stations at first they said the red line at Fort Totten was closed because of a "technical difficulty" and then changed to "because of police activity." Noticed no difference on the yellow and blue lines.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes in NE (Northeast DC)

The accident was between Fort Totten and Takoma Stations, in the area where the Metro runs above ground in Northeast DC along side the Amtrak tracks. Brookland-CUA was closed as well as the two stations above. Last I saw, the count was 7 deaths.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

According to wikipedia, the exact location is at 38.9605,-77.006, which is more or less where New Hampshire avenue crosses the track. See http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.96...8.9605,-77.006

Randy
Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
9 deaths as of this morning
I am all too familiar with the Red Line (used to work near Union Station)
My thoughts go out to the victims and their families
Old 06-24-2009, 04:45 PM

I bet the conductor of the second train was texting.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

The news was on in the background at work, and at one point, it was stated that the conductor of the second train had asked to have that particular train repaired. Also, there's proof that she had tried to stop the train.

God bless the people & their families who were involved in this tragedy. May the injured heal quickly & perfectly.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Not Texting

The screw from the NTSB that studied the accident indicated that the Metro Driver's Cell phone was in her backpack, which is a perfectly acceptable place to have it according to the regulations.

The NTSB ran a test train to the location of the stopped train and the sensors in the track did not properly transmit that to the central computers. The moving train was running on automatic, which at that point the computer will run the train between 55 and 59 miles per hour. With the stopped train being invisible to the central computers, the computers would have not had any reason to reduce speed. The stopped train was around a slight curve, so it wouldn't have been seen a very long distance down the track. The moving train had both the manual and emergency brakes put on before the crash.

It is entirely possible that the driver of the moving train did everything that she was trained to do, and it still wasn't enough.

There are also issues that the paired cars in the front of the train were in the 1000 series (the cars that metro bought when the first started the system in the mid 1970s).
Old 06-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The screw from the NTSB that studied the accident indicated that the Metro Driver's Cell phone was in her backpack, which is a perfectly acceptable place to have it according to the regulations.

The NTSB ran a test train to the location of the stopped train and the sensors in the track did not properly transmit that to the central computers. The moving train was running on automatic, which at that point the computer will run the train between 55 and 59 miles per hour. With the stopped train being invisible to the central computers, the computers would have not had any reason to reduce speed. The stopped train was around a slight curve, so it wouldn't have been seen a very long distance down the track. The moving train had both the manual and emergency brakes put on before the crash.

It is entirely possible that the driver of the moving train did everything that she was trained to do, and it still wasn't enough.

There are also issues that the paired cars in the front of the train were in the 1000 series (the cars that metro bought when the first started the system in the mid 1970s).
Are you sure the conducter could not see the first train? Trains don't exactly make sharp turns.

Even if the sensors were not working there still should not have been an accident. The trains are not totally automated and they have a driver in the train for that purpose.

At 55-60 mph and a 125 ft brake pattern, the driver did not apply the brakes until a second or two before impact.

If you are driving anything and you are going around a bend with a blind spot don't you slow down until you can see what is ahead of you?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Are you sure the conducter could not see the first train? Trains don't exactly make sharp turns.

Even if the sensors were not working there still should not have been an accident. The trains are not totally automated and they have a driver in the train for that purpose.

At 55-60 mph and a 125 ft brake pattern, the driver did not apply the brakes until a second or two before impact.

If you are driving anything and you are going around a bend with a blind spot don't you slow down until you can see what is ahead of you?
Why are you so invested in it being driver error?