GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,892
0 members and 1,892 guests
No Members online

Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

General recruitment questions from a PNM

I'll be rushing at a Big XII school in August, and I have a few general questions.

Does a recommendation letter hold more weight if it's from an alumna of my school's chapter?

Does having more than one recommendation letter help at all?

And finally, the dress I currently have picked out for pref is fairly conservative everywhere except the back. It's black, has a high neck and long sleeves, is somewhat loose fitting, and comes more than halfway down my thigh. The back, however goes about halfway down my back and has cut outs. Is this appropriate if done with tasteful hair and makeup, a clutch, and a simple heel?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 AM
GreekChat Member

1. Yes.
2. Depends on the school and the rec - recs from those who know you well and can give the chapter insight into the awesomeness that is you are better than general information only recs. Check out the thread(s) about your specific school to see if more than one rec is required. For most schools, one is sufficient.
3. I vote no on the dress, but someone from your school would be better able to tell you.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

1) Maybe - depends on who it is and how well they know her.
2) Maybe - depends on the school. It won't hurt though.
3) I'd be more concerned about being too hot in the long sleeves. Not sure about the length....would prefer to see knee length
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

The dress sounds beautiful but I think you will be too hot. Long sleeves will be extra uncomfortable in August and in hot, crowded rooms during pref parties.

I respectfully disagree on knee length as suggested by titchou. Just dont get your dress too short so that sitting is awkward.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
The dress sounds beautiful but I think you will be too hot. Long sleeves will be extra uncomfortable in August and in hot, crowded rooms during pref parties.

I respectfully disagree on knee length as suggested by titchou. Just dont get your dress too short so that sitting is awkward.
I would have to say that "halfway down the thigh" is NOT conservative at all - and would have to second the recommendation for something closer to knee length.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryana View Post
I would have to say that "halfway down the thigh" is NOT conservative at all - and would have to second the recommendation for something closer to knee length.
This is one where it just depends how tall you are, I think. In any case, PNM's should error on the side of being conservative.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Unless they are sheer (and I hope not since it's not 1993), long sleeves on a black dress in August can kind of bring a Wednesday Addams vibe. The length is an additional issue.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Can you wear a strapless or regular bra without it showing in the back? If the answer is no, then I wouldn't wear it for the event. Not saying you have to wear a bra at all (some people can get away with that) but if you can't wear even a strapless bra then it's not conservative enough for recruitment.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies, I am not advocating a hootchie mama dress for prefs, but I dont know very many 18 year olds wearing knee length hemlines. Maybe a better way to measure is to make sure the hem is longer than fingertip length.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:51 AM

Fingertip length is fine if you pair it with flats. The problem comes when you wear it with hiiiiiiiiiiiigh heels.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

To the knees might be a little extreme for 18 year olds, but somewhere between fingertips and just above the knees would probably work, depending on the PNMs height and what shoes she is wearing.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

(I love these "what to wear" threads. I especially love when 33 weighs in. Guaranteed grins and the occasional loud laugh ensue, and her comments make my day so much funnier. 33, don't ever go away. I need you in my world. In the meantime I'm looking SO forward to the threads where the PNMs post actual photos of dresses. That's my favorite part of these threads.)

OP, that dress as you've described it is a NO for Preference. It might be fine for a cocktail party or some other affair, but not Preference. It sounds a little "old" to me. Just my opinion. And, your description of it brought to mind Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. No. Nononononononono.

Get busy shopping again.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
(I love these "what to wear" threads. I especially love when 33 weighs in. Guaranteed grins and the occasional loud laugh ensue, and her comments make my day so much funnier. 33, don't ever go away. I need you in my world. In the meantime I'm looking SO forward to the threads where the PNMs post actual photos of dresses. That's my favorite part of these threads.)

OP, that dress as you've described it is a NO for Preference. It might be fine for a cocktail party or some other affair, but not Preference. It sounds a little "old" to me. Just my opinion. And, your description of it brought to mind Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. No. Nononononononono.

Get busy shopping again.
Just remember Julia may have been the prostitute with the heart of gold in Pretty Woman, but she was still a prostitute. Not a good comparison for pref. LOL

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

It's a good idea to "test drive" any dress you plan to wear. Can you sit in it comfortably without having to pull it down or adjust it? Or is it so short that, as Patsy Stone would say, "The world is your gynecologist"?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
It's a good idea to "test drive" any dress you plan to wear. Can you sit in it comfortably without having to pull it down or adjust it? Or is it so short that, as Patsy Stone would say, "The world is your gynecologist"?
iLost