GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,638
2 members and 2,636 guests
John

Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KSigFounder
On Coming Chapter - Rush Shirts

Hey guys, my Fraternity is coming onto campus as a colony next semester and we're going to be a hearing and deaf chapter, we need a dynamite rush shirt that will catch everyones eyes and stay in the back of their minds.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mooch279
How about a picture of the three monkeys (Hear,See,Speak no evil) and below them say "It just makes sense.....Rush Kappa Sig'
University of Maryland, Baltimore County '02
FD 279
Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigFounder View Post
Hey guys, my Fraternity is coming onto campus as a colony next semester and we're going to be a hearing and deaf chapter, we need a dynamite rush shirt that will catch everyones eyes and stay in the back of their minds.
Would you please provide some details/clarification? Specially, what do you mean by "we're going to be a hearing and deaf chapter"? Also, are y'all colonizing at Gallaudet University? A colony of Kappa Sigma?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Would you please provide some details/clarification? Specially, what do you mean by "we're going to be a hearing and deaf chapter"? Also, are y'all colonizing at Gallaudet University? A colony of Kappa Sigma?

Well there guys that are joining that are hearing, and there are guys that are deaf. We actually have brothers that are here that are from RIT and gallaudet. Chris Peters, Philip Olivan, Jin Pae, Andrew Aguilara.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that it's my business, but I am curious as to the location of this chapter and how it can involve men from two different states.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Not that it's my business, but I am curious as to the location of this chapter and how it can involve men from two different states.
California State University Northridge, the guys from RIT and Gaulludet had transfered to CSUN.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay makes sense -- thank you!

For anyone else who was confused, Cal State Northridge has a Deaf Studies program.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Awesome for You and your new members!

The very best of luck for your new group of Men!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for the clarification. I'm up to speed now.

KSigFounder - Have you asked any of your hearing impaired members for suggestions? And regardless of what y'all come up with, I would be sure to pass it by all members to be safe. It wouldn't be good PR to start a colony with controversy right off the bat.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Thanks everyone for the clarification. I'm up to speed now.

KSigFounder - Have you asked any of your hearing impaired members for suggestions? And regardless of what y'all come up with, I would be sure to pass it by all members to be safe. It wouldn't be good PR to start a colony with controversy right off the bat.
for the record it's deaf, not hearing impaired, the deaf find that term offensive... hearing impaired inclines that their hearing could be fixed...

and yes i've talked to them, they're brainstorming, but i want to show them some examples of other rush shirts.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It could be a graphics issue, but what about having Kappa Sigma also spelled out with hands in Sign Language showing the letters that correspond to the English equivalents of Kappa Sigma? You could put your message ex: "Rush Kappa Sigma Colony 2008 CSUN" and have the corresponding message in sign language on the other side.

Even though I'm not your target audience, I am a HUGE FAN of when chapters use their own creativity and spirit to create promotional items instead of using a stock image or a graphic someone else designed. You have something unique, a deaf and hearing chapter, and definitely advertise that!

Oh and a friend offered this suggestion:
We're here, some of us can hear, others are deaf, but we're all DEF!

I took away their access to 90's hip-hop for a day for their use of def while abusing homonyms.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigFounder View Post
for the record it's deaf, not hearing impaired, the deaf find that term offensive... hearing impaired inclines that their hearing could be fixed...

and yes i've talked to them, they're brainstorming, but i want to show them some examples of other rush shirts.
For what it is worth, not all deaf people find hearing impaired offensive. One of my best friends - who is deaf - prefers hearing impaired.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post

I never saw American Gangster, but I think that's what this is from.

And Sweetwater Brewing Co.
That bottom one is AWESOME. Our semi formal shirts looked like Newcastle labels but that is one of the nicest rush shirts I've ever seen.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
Our homecoming shirts this year were Newcastle. I wish I could find a picture somewhere.
BUT, we do have some arguments in chapter over "beer label t-shirts". Some people think it gives a bad impression. I don't know, I don't really care...they look good.
Well, wearing ACTUAL beer label t shirts gives a bad impression as well as being right out of the GDI playbook. The SweetWater one didn't even look that much like the label to be honest, the only part that gives it away to me is "Don't Float the Mainstream."
You're not bad for a Gator. This probably isn't the thread to say it but you guys get a bad rap for your GDIs and their affinity for jorts, most of the fraternity brothers I've met from there are really cool, CLASSY guys. (our chapter there is rebuilding so they get a free pass for a few more years) Alabama is still unbeatable in terms of class though, I had so much fun when we played them in Jax because all of their fans were classy and knew a decent amount about football.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
our chapter there is rebuilding so they get a free pass for a few more years
They still represent you and your org so I would think no chapter gets a "free pass" ever. You're so concerned with some random guy wearing your org's name that I would think a brother would be held to an even higher standard.