GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,534
1 members and 1,533 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 08-26-2007, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Recruitment Counselor

I found this website through my girlfriend and wanted to say hey. I am a IFC Recruitment Counselor at Ole Miss. If anyone has any questions abour Rush please let me know. Ill be more than happy to help you.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there an like an informal spring rush that I can go through?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Do Ole Miss fraternities get the majority of their pledge class for Fall in formal or informal rush?

Also, what is the estimate on the number of men going through formal rush?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

There is not a formal spring rush. Each fraternity does it their own way. I only know about spring rush for my fraternity. I can't tell you which one it is, but we usually have about 5-10 spring pledges who do not get initiated until the fall rushees get initiated the next year. Most if not all of them usually don’t end up getting initiated due to the fact that they drop for some reason or another. I was initiated with only 3 spring pledges from the year before me.

As for fall this year, I would say that there will be about 800-900 men going through recruitment this year, but the final number won't be available till the 14th(the deadline for registration).
Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

So, what percentage of Ole Miss is Greek? Isn't it around 93% (or has been in the past, I think)? ...oh and you wouldn't happen to know a good weekend to come visit Ole Miss, would ya? I was hoping for something sorta like our Bulldog Bash down here at State.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

We are nowhere near 93% Greek. According to Princeton Review we have 32% of the guys in fraternities and 34% of girls in sororities. As for a good weekend to come visit, it all depends. Do you want to come on a football weekend or sometime in the spring?

Last edited by tacofish; 08-31-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh gosh no, Ole Miss is nowhere near 93% greek!!!! However, as most of you know, it does have maybe the highest greek percentage of a public university in America. I was wondering, it's percent of undergraduate males in a fraternity is very high, as is the number of guys who go through rush. More than a few schools do their fraternity rush informally, unlike Ole Miss (Alabama to me the most standout example, they have a formal rush, but it's much smaller and most of the recruitment is done informally). Do you think that the fact that there is a formal, structured fraternity recruitment here makes the number of guys in fraternities much higher than if it was informal and largely unstructured?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

That is still very high as normal is @ 8-10 % in the bigger Colleges.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-02-2007, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
I think it does get the numbers up.
OR
They might have a formal rush BECAUSE numbers are so high.
About the second possibility, I don't know for sure, but I think it's just the way it's been done since time immemorial. This is ONLY a theory, but back from the late 1910's to 1927 or so, greeks were outlawed at Ole Miss and all Mississippi schools because of exclusivity allegations; and theoretically, they made Ole Miss fraternity rush formal like sorority when greeks were finally allowed back on campus to make it more open and accessible to young men. It'd be interesting if it could be shown by some university historian if that's the case and if fraternities at Ole Miss rushed informally like at other schools before being outlawed way back!!
Old 09-02-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
I think it does get the numbers up.
OR
They might have a formal rush BECAUSE numbers are so high.
Also, I think all Mississippi schools do their IFC rush formally in the fall and always have since way back, which lends me to my theory. Don't get me wrong, interest in the greek system at Ole Miss is, always has been, and certainly for the forseeable future always will be very high; but I bet the formal rush is at least a contributing factor and I would be very surprised if formal fraternity rush was first put in place whenever it was simply because interest was so high
Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Do Ole Miss fraternities take Fall and Spring classes?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi
I am an international transfer student joining Ole Miss in this Fall. I was wondering whether I would be welcome to join a fraternity there. I always wanted to do that in order to get the real college experience.
I am from Mauritius. I studied a year in Dubai. My university then closed down and I was transferred to Embry Riddle in Florida. I am now transferring to a school of my choice for engineering, which happens to be Ole Miss.
Please give me some advice.
Thank you